How do you interact with people with Down's Syndrome?

Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 7:57 pm

Zoonic wrote:
Down's people will inevitably cease to exist in all places except for trashy third world ghettoes.

And we would soon follow. But maybe you're too.... blind to see that.
But off topic, and my anger is starting to make me prone to things that aren't allowed on wrongplanet, so.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:03 pm

BelindatheNobody wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
Down's people will inevitably cease to exist in all places except for trashy third world ghettoes.

But off topic, and my anger is starting to make me prone to things that aren't allowed on wrongplanet, so.

Just the low functioning autists would follow and I have no objections to that what so ever. The future won't require social skills the same way, it's already happening now in the computer age. More and more people will be like really high functioning aspies.

When you cook or craft something there's always some spoils in the process, in order to achieve the refined product. The autists and low functioning aspies are the spoils while the high functioning aspies are prototypes for feature NT's.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:07 pm

Zoonic wrote:
BelindatheNobody wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

Just the low functioning autists would follow and I have no objections to that what so ever. The future won't require social skills the same way, it's already happening now in the computer age. More and more people will be like really high functioning aspies.

When you cook or craft something there's always some spoils in the process, in order to achieve the refined product. The autists and low functioning aspies are the spoils while the high functioning aspies are prototypes for feature NT's.

Oh, and what on earth makes you think that they would be able to tell apart how we function while we're floating around in the womb? Futhermore! Functioning levels are not constant; in most, they change throughout ones life! And who is to say they would want even us "high functioning" people around, for pete's sake.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:21 pm

BelindatheNobody wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
BelindatheNobody wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

Oh, and what on earth makes you think that they would be able to tell apart how we function while we're floating around in the womb? Futhermore! Functioning levels are not constant; in most, they change throughout ones life! And who is to say they would want even us "high functioning" people around, for pete's sake.

Eventually NT's will become more socially reclusive anyway. They won't need the pack to survive. So even if they kill of all aspies, which they will, they will evolve and become more like high functioning aspies in time anyway. Higher intelligence, more socially reclusive etc.

I'm an aspie and if I could push a magic button that would remove all regular autists from the earth, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:26 pm

Funny thing, run-of-the-mill Asperger's tends to be more severe than Down's syndrome in symptom severity and handicap. The only plus is that those with AS have a normal life expectancy (O, and superficial things like normal looks, and a greater chance of having a normal IQ).

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:29 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Funny thing, run-of-the-mill Asperger's tends to be more severe than Down's syndrome in symptom severity and handicap. The only plus is that those with AS have a normal life expectancy (O, and superficial things like normal looks, and a greater chance of having a normal IQ).

An asperger handicap is relative while a Down's handicap is a static handicap the same way being born without legs and teeth is a handicap to a predator and being born without gills would be a handicap to a fish.

Many asperger diagnosed people display signs of retardation. I'm angered by this because I think they should be high functioning autist instead of AS.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:36 pm

Zoonic wrote:
An asperger handicap is relative while a Down's handicap is a static handicap the same way being born without legs and teeth is a handicap to a predator and being born without gills would be a handicap to a fish.

That doesn't make sense, as Asperger's is a lifelong neurological disorder which affects several key areas of human development; for example, the delay in social development is just as much a handicap as being born without claws and teeth if you were a lion.

The only reason people with run-of-the-mill AS survive so well is because of allowances made by parents/society, kinda like those with Down's syndrome. In other words, most with AS are a burden on the "healthy" and "normal" population just as much as someone with Autism or Down's.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 8:39 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

That doesn't make sense, as Asperger's is a lifelong neurological disorder which affects several key areas of human development; for example, the delay in social development is just as much a handicap as being born without claws and teeth if you were a lion.

The only reason people with run-of-the-mill AS survive so well is because of allowances made by parents/society, kinda like those with Down's syndrome. In other words, most with AS are a burden on the "healthy" and "normal" population just as much as someone with Autism or Down's.

Asperger's is a neurological variation, not a disorder. Asperger people can survive on their own in the right environment while a Down's person can never survive in any society on his own. This makes the handicap aspect of Asperger's highly relative while Down's is a static handicap.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

13 May 2009, 9:10 pm

I have a cousin with DS & don't really understand the question, "How do you interact with people with DS". I just talk to him.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 9:14 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
I have a cousin with DS & don't really understand the question, "How do you interact with people with DS". I just talk to him.

What do you do if he starts masturbating in public, which some down's people are infamous for doing? Do you just talk to him then as well?

Brittany2907

13 May 2009, 9:22 pm

Zoonic wrote:
Brittany2907 wrote:

What do you do if he starts masturbating in public, which some down's people are infamous for doing? Do you just talk to him then as well?

Well I've never had him do that. Of course if he did do that I would tell him to stop, but I don't know what I'd say to the other people who saw.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 9:31 pm

Zoonic wrote:
Asperger's is a neurological variation, not a disorder. Asperger people can survive on their own in the right environment while a Down's person can never survive in any society on his own. This makes the handicap aspect of Asperger's highly relative while Down's is a static handicap.

First part, incorrect. It's classified as a disorder in all official sources. Second part, incorrect, as I know of a young female with Down's who lives by herself, who drives and also works, all without allowances, which is far better than most with AS I've seen.

I have a lovely report here that measures adaptive functioning of individuals with Autism and Asperger's compared to Down's, and the latter have a far better outcome (even compared to AS).

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 9:42 pm

I treat them a lot better than NTs usually do...that includes the people who have to care for them.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 10:06 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

First part, incorrect. It's classified as a disorder in all official sources. Second part, incorrect, as I know of a young female with Down's who lives by herself, who drives and also works, all without allowances, which is far better than most with AS I've seen.

I have a lovely report here that measures adaptive functioning of individuals with Autism and Asperger's compared to Down's, and the latter have a far better outcome (even compared to AS).

Can a person with Down's Syndrome become a physician? I don't think so. I plan to matriculate to medical school in a few years after spending a couple years as a workaholic living much below my means in order to save myself from half the debt that is typically involved. In 2 years, I will have 3 degrees in which one bridges on to another.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 10:06 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

Adaptive functioning is totally irrelevant because it only proves what we already know, Down's people are like ret*d but happy little pig NT's. They are severely malformed NT's suffering from retardation. This only enhances some of their NT traits, making them cuddly and socializing and thus sympathetic in the eyes of many.

Asperger is classified as a disorder because of the handicap aspect but it is in reality just a variation. As I said, the handicap aspect is highly relative and in many cultures, the real AS people are overlooked in favor of high functioning autists because of incompetent psychiatrists. Southern Europe and USA are examples of this, people who are in fact high functioning autists are being diagnosed with AS and people who are undiagnosed AS just get a "kick in the butt".

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 10:20 pm

I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.