Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 6:22 am

I think that the way that schools present information and try to force feed information into the kids with out making it remotly fun or interesting and while bench marking every one by tests so the people who do better in the tests are placed above others.

In school you learn to obey. Not to question. This is what happens don't disagree don't try to understand just memorise it.

I think in the future if i ever have kids i would like to encourage other types of learning out school. Like for example let them play with batterys and motors and wires. I think that kind of stuff is a really fun way to learn about electricity. Also try and tell them bed time storys that are actual real history and make it in a fun and interactive way. Unlike the kind of teaching style you see currently where a leacturer drones out in a monotonos speach and every one is expected to stay focused.

I like the ideas of playing with the kids to count and play games relating to math and other things. Learning should be fun. Ever wonder why kids learn faster? because every things a game to them (execpt the crazy style of schooling we have). naturally you learn more about some thing when you find it interesting. And learning about some thing when some one is monologuing and you don't get to play is definately not a help.

So any one else trying to teach there kids to actually play with real stuff to learn how it works and learn about the world so they are not as ignorant as your average bear

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 9:16 am

I could see where "drill and kill" could become boring quickly. However, if it is too fun and too unstructured, that isn't good, either. In elementary school, they taught in a haphazard fashion, with the students going out onto the lawn to do their work. Math turned into a set of programmed, "go at your own speed" exercises. I got bored, as I was still good at math at that time. I think it slowed my progress way down. On the other hand, play became a chore. Recess was replaced by organized sporting events and physical fitness testing. I was pretty active and athletic as a small child, but by seventh grade, I couldn't run at all. I lost interest. In true Orwellian fashion, work became play and play became work-even torture.

Last edited by 9CatMom on 01 Apr 2007, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:27 am

i think that when you teach you need to motivate the kids to be interested in what you're talking about. if you're teaching to a bunch of kids who look like they'd rather be somewhere else then you've got a problem. my history teacher is great because he doesn't just lecture, he constantly asks the class questions and gets us thinking.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Apr 2007, 12:18 pm

thats why the public school systems will pretty much always be a failier in this country, classrooms are to big and learning isnt fun at all. craming information into someones head, and then taking a test to find out what you remember, is no way to learn you try teaching 35 kids math. its a waste of time. i personally would have done better in school and might have even finished school if it was fun, and i wasnt bullied so much

Ignition_Cognition
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2007, 2:08 pm

School has never been about learning, it's about assimilation. Teachers do their best to put you in 'your place' and then expect you to treat them with respect. Half of them probably aren't even aware of what they're doing, because they were pushed through the same systems. :roll:

You're right about the memorization, that's 90% of what you do in school, you don't need to be truly intelligent to do well, all you need is a good memory and you're bound to get good grades. Listen and repeat, listen and repeat. I hated school with a passion, I still do, more than anything else in the world.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm

Ignition_Cognition wrote:
School has never been about learning, it's about assimilation. Teachers do their best to put you in 'your place' and then expect you to treat them with respect. Half of them probably aren't even aware of what they're doing, because they were pushed through the same systems. :roll:

You're right about the memorization, that's 90% of what you do in school, you don't need to be truly intelligent to do well, all you need is a good memory and you're bound to get good grades. Listen and repeat, listen and repeat. I hated school with a passion, I still do, more than anything else in the world.

Yes. I really started to wonder when i failed a Computer hardware test when I have worked on more than 400 plus computers and can remeber the model numbers cache sizes etc for most computer parts... But i didn't intepert the question properly and didn't follow there method to fix the problem or some thing ret*d like that.

So some other people in the same class who have no idea what they are doing are getting 100% because they straight memorize every thing with out even understanding anything.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:44 pm

Tell me about it! I took a fortran 77 test once and got ONE "question" wrong! I told the teacher COMPUTERS DO *****NOT***** GENERALLY SUPPORT ARRAYS!! !! !! !(HECK, there are big endian, little endian, etc... even) Languages like Fortran allocate the storage to do that, so the structure is ANYONES guess, and generally depends on the compilers author. He would hear NOTHING of it! Never mind that I knew like 6 assembly languages at the time and only a couple supported any kind of array and none supported a flexible array.

Yeah, I know! I got the highest grade in the class, and I think that was the only question I ever "missed" there. Still, I HATE bogus tests!

BTW MindOfOrderedChaos,

My company started "interviewing" people using "my questions". I ***ALWAYS*** told them DON'T DO IT! My answers might not be the only ones, and I give partial credit, etc... THEY can't. The only people doing technical interviews should be TECHNICAL people, yet they ACTUALLY have books on "how to do" this!! !! ! STUPID!

Steve

BigT
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2007, 4:39 am

This is why I am rubbish at science and maths. The way schools teach them to me just don't make them seem remotely interesting. That is after all how I remember things.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 10:44 am

I did well at school until I hit secondary school... I was very good at rote learning, which suited me well. I was happy to do projects where we got a choice of what we did. But get to 11, and suddenly, everything is by the book and consists of lengthy, monotonous lectures with no freedom. Needless to say, I totally lost all interest and spent my time writing my poetry and reading the things that interested me. Our maths tutor was crap. Totally.