Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Armeria
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2015, 7:24 am

HI I'm an adult aspie with noise sensitivity.
Does anyone have any tips about noise sensitivity. I really need and try to live, as much as possible, a quiet life. I need help as I get incredibly tense when I hear unwanted noise in my home...for example, when neighbour's kids play in their gardens outside, a ball is kicked it feels like it is being punched right through my body, it leads to instant really bad stressful feelings, which I physically feel all over my body and I would do anything to make the noise stop. As that's not possible and the school holidays are coming (I am dreading it!!) I am seeking any advice.
The last 2 Summers have been horrible for me mainly because of the noise and also terrible overheating (thermoregulation problems) since we moved here. I am on a waiting list to see someone with regards to helping me but this could take weeks.
Does anyone have anything i can do myself to try and relieve my tension from noise. I can hear tiny sounds far away, which is great for tune-making but rubbish for living in this busy world.
thanks in advance x

Last edited by Armeria on 22 Jul 2015, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 7:30 am

White noise machine? Thick curtains?

Sorry, don't have any better ideas.

Armeria
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2015, 7:35 am

It's not about curtains, i can't shut the windows all Summer and shouldn't have to live like that. I have heard there are techniques...no silly answers please

Silverdolphin419
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2015, 7:37 am

I can totally relate and understand. I have two methods I use. The first thing I do is go to my list on my dvr and find a show that has at least 10 episodes listed and play all. If someone has deleted them, I will go to the music channels, not MTV OR VH1, the channels that stream music constantly and play a channel.

I hope this helps you out.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 7:37 am

Have you tried earplugs, noise cancelling headphones, or ear protectors?

Armeria
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2015, 8:50 am

Hi, thanks for the answers, yeah I do already use big headphones for watching tv or music listening...it does help but I can still feel noise through them a bit and just have to choose to ignore it and concentrate on what i'm watching/listening to...are there any mediations that help or things like that?xx
(i will get some ear defenders - that's a good idea)

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 8:56 am

Armeria wrote:
It's not about curtains, i can't shut the windows all Summer and shouldn't have to live like that. I have heard there are techniques...no silly answers please

People have their windows shut all summer for various reasons. For example, for air conditioning (which also provides white noise.) People with severe environmental allergies must keep their windows shut all the time. It is not a silly thing. Heavy curtains provide insulation (temperature AND noise), which is really important when one is trying to save some money on heating or cooling bills. Your problem is just as real as someone who has severe allergies and *must* "live that way all summer" and "shouldn't have to live like that." They have to make adjustments to their lifestyle to manage their own health. So do you.

Maybe my suggestions are ones you don't like or can't use, but they are not silly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 9:04 am

I agree that Nerdygirl provided sensible answers.

When people make an effort to offer advice, it's usually done with a decent spirit.

The recipient of the advice should also react with a decent spirit, even if the advice is not "suitable."

Armeria
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

I do appreciate the answers. From people who can relate and have advice i can use. I don't have allergies ..anyway, this is the last place i expect to be jumped on for not being oh so understanding of everyone's feelings. WTF? I wish there was a way you could block people on here...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 9:17 am

But it's cool to be nice.

I hope all is resolved in your situation.

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 9:20 am

earplugs have been a life saver for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 9:26 am

That looks like Calvin's tiger!

Good thing about this Site: no one can be bothered by noise here :wink:

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 9:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That looks like Calvin's tiger!

Good thing about this Site: no one can be bothered by noise here :wink:

haha yeah it is hobbs. i chose it from the selection of avatars on the profile thing

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

White noise does help, to some extent. It helps cover up the unexpected noise with expected noise.

I find that unexpected noise is harder to deal with... but no noise is best of all.

Muffling it helps; so does covering it with predictable noise.

Temperature: Wear as little clothing as possible. If you have to, put your shades down and wear only underwear.
Drink enough water, and stay near a fan so that your sweat will cool you down. Lukewarm showers also help, and will wash the sweat residue off. You might want to make sure that you're eating enough salt and getting enough potassium, if you're really sweating a great deal; most people will start craving those things when they need them.
Try to keep your bedroom cool so that your sleep is less interrupted. If you can only afford to cool one room of the house, make it the bedroom.
When you exercise, take a lukewarm shower afterwards, and stay hydrated. Otherwise the heat will make it so unpleasant that you probably won't even be able to enjoy it.
A wet towel across your forehead or neck helps.

Heat sucks. Noise sucks. Hang in there.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

budgiezilla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

A gigantic fan helps both heat and noise problems. I have one very similar to this and I would marry it if i could

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-3300-Wind-M ... ywords=fan

I think you can find one for cheaper though

Girl_Kitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2015, 2:36 pm

You can't take medication or use techniques to make yourself not Autistic. There is such thing as techniques to make you not APPEAR Autistic, but you can't change how you perceive the world.

I say this with respect and caring- you cannot change who you are and they way that you are born.