Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 6:03 am

Please tell me about your Aspie moments you've had in your life, why they were Aspie moments and ideas on countering them!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 6:22 am

Ok. I'll start it off since you're all to shy to tell.

The first one of mine that comes to mind is, I like to cup my fingers around my nose and sniff them. It's called 'stimming' and it is only one of a few stims I have. I used to do it in public - in shopping centers, and I was only in shopping centers with my Mum.

She used to tell me to stop it. She thought it was weird but I didn't care. I've never really cared about what humans thought.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 6:18 pm

I meow and growl in the subways. This is probably "verbal stimming."

I did varying reactions to what I do.

Devante
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2015, 6:44 pm

I've never been able to give verbal directions before. Instead I just make a sound whose path is similar to the path the person needs to take, which makes perfect sense to me, but never to them.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 7:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Kortie have I told you lately that I love your posts?

I growl on the bus a little bit too. I only meow at home anymore, but honestly it takes rigid control not to do it everywhere. Come to think of it I meow on the sidewalks too, but only when I see an alley cat.

Okay Aspie moments--when I walk by two or more neurotypical co-workers and it's obvious that they're having a nonverbal communication of some sort--but I have no idea what it's about.

When I wake up unable to do words. My NT hubby keeps saying good morning and I love you. I'm sure he expects a reciprocal response, maybe to start a start-of-day conversation with sweet little nothings like how'd you sleep, how are you feeling, what are your plans today, what do you want for breakfast etc... and I can barely manage "hi honey." Sometimes I can't even do that.

Freaking out to the point where I lose my balance every time a person comes unexpectedly through a hall or a room I'm in or a door I'm near. Maybe that's more of a paranoid-anxiety thing, but I think my paranoia stems from my aspien-ness.

Rocking (another form of stimming) when there's a conversation going on that absolutely doesn't involve or concern me less than four feet away from me. Especially if the conversing persons are basically standing right off the end of my desk.

When two or three people are having a conversation that loosely involves me--but then another person or persons join(s) the group and the one conversation breaks into two conversations and I get extremely :S trying to follow them both. I blank out, generally, at this point.

Never being sure when it's my turn to talk in a group discussion.

And biggest of all having a complete meltdown at my 42nd birthday party at MeMum's because there were 3 other people's (my nephews) birthdays being celebrated at the same time and there were just too many people and too much noise and too close and too many candles and everybody singing happy birthday in a different key (yikes, I don't have perfect pitch but I can tell when voices don't blend) and sensory overload to the point where I sank down out of the chair and curled up under the table in a fetal position trying not to cry. I honestly don't think anyone but NT hubby understood why. In fact I think they still don't and that's why we don't have big family parties on Labor Day weekend anymore. :(

Also being unable to deliver an effective (by which I mean there is forgiveness and reconciliation) apology when I deeply offend or even moderately insult somebody. I've heard Aspies are not good at "emotional repair."

Also tuning completely out of a conversation if I know nothing about the topic. This includes a wide range of topics NT's seem to obsess on, like sports and cars and dogs and celebrities and fashion and reality television. I used to do okay with politics but I've tuned out on that. I can't take 30 months of obsessing over who's running for President. I swear some people start talking about the next presidential election on the first Wednesday of November (primary elections are the first Tuesday of November if I recall correctly). I can't take it anymore, especially when it's more about scandals and lies and rumors and trendy topics than about issues I actually give a rip about.

All I really like to talk about is fantasy series I follow, movies I've seen, theology, anatomy and injustice. Dancers who dance upon injustice.

Yeah okay there's a long post for people to pick apart or launch off of.

Anybody here have similar experiences? Especially with getting lost trying to follow NT conversations?

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 8:20 pm

I don't do too well sitting at a long table trying to follow 3-4 conversations at once. I go into LaLa land instead of joining in one conversation.

I like women with long, lustrous hair very much. If a lady like that talks to me, I become speechless.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 10:44 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:

The first one of mine that comes to mind is, I like to cup my fingers around my nose and sniff them. It's called 'stimming' and it is only one of a few stims I have. I used to do it in public - in shopping centers, and I was only in shopping centers with my Mum.

She used to tell me to stop it. She thought it was weird but I didn't care. I've never really cared about what humans thought.

I do this! I never thought of it as "stimming". Not arguing, just surprised.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 7:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I remember you saying this before (a long time ago) Kraftie :)

That's cute! :)

I woofed at a fellow (female) worker in the work kitchen today!

I think I discombobulated her! But her expression was worth gold! I can still see her face! I may not be good at reading facial expressions but I sure could read hers (I think)! She looked bewildered - but then again, I've been sooooo wrong in the past of reading peoples' expressions, she was probably non-verbally telling me to "Get stuffed!" for all I know!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 7:07 am

Sometimes I sniff my fingertips to check if they are clean. I can avoid it in public.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 7:39 am

nerdygirl wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

I do this! I never thought of it as "stimming". Not arguing, just surprised.

Me too! That is a stim?

When I think hard about something, sometimes a word I am thinking pops out of my mouth. It happened the other day, and a girl passing me on her bike turned around and looked scared. Must stop that, not good for me.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:06 am

As a kid I always ate with my feet up. Letting them hang in the chair was so uncomfortable for me. I had to keep my knees by my chin to feel comfortable. My mom hated it.... now I'm an adult and I eat all of my meals with at least on foot on the chair. If I'm somewhere nice I just just sit cross-legged with my legs under the table. No one ever knows. lol

Purrbaby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2015, 8:50 am

If my husband is in another room and I want to tell him something I will text him instead of going to talk to him. Not sure if that's aspie or just lazy tho...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 8:55 am

As long as you purr at the right times, it's cool!

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:14 pm

whenever anyone greets me with "hey, hows it going?" or something to that effect i rarely respond with the expected, "good, how about you?"
sometimes i just say good, then move on to relevant conversation. sometimes i just skip it all and begin with relevant conversation. sometimes i just say "hey" and walk away. when i do respond 'correctly' it just feels awkward and wrong and stupid.

just something that comes up a lot. i bet many non-ASD people have issues with it too though.

Peejay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2015, 3:36 pm

Devante wrote:
I've never been able to give verbal directions before. Instead I just make a sound whose path is similar to the path the person needs to take, which makes perfect sense to me, but never to them.

I love this Devante :)

Of my (hopefully) more endearing aspie moments =

Not getting jokes by over analysis them & missing the point (p.s. I have a good sense of humour)
I`m quite a smart guy, but in these moments i just look really dense!

My son told me this one I totally didn`t get it until explained to me:

"What do you say to entice a grizzly bear down from a tree with a piece of cheese"

" Camembert"........

ie. "come on bear"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

I spin pens and take notes as if it's going to save my life. It's obnoxiously conspicuous and leads to hundreds of Firefox Bookmarks/various notepads and messy graph pads... Still, I make some money at it though. Between occasional bike/ski crashes and years of programming + homework the pen spinning seems to keep my fingers strong & flexible. I typed this last sentence with a stylus in my right hand. :P

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 18 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.