Was my psychiatrist's joke offensive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

c700
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2015, 4:10 pm

So I went to my psychiatrist to get some paper work done (something which he's technically not obliged to do). When I requested assistance, he made the following joke:

"Oh no, not these administrative things again. I think I dislike doing this administrative work because I have autistic traits. Pragmatic things are difficult for me, you see. [Long laughter] Maybe I should get some cognitive-behavioral therapy for this. [Laughter] And I think somebody else should do this for me. Uhhhh, I'm tired of this s**t - why should I be obliged to do it?"

The joke was pretty funny, but was it offensive? What exactly was the meaning, if any? I've known this psychiatrist for a long time, and he diagnosed me with high functioning autism a while ago (although, he wasn't the only one to diagnose me with that).

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2015, 4:49 pm

Without hearing it in person or in context I find it a bit offensive, but people put their foot in their mouth all of the time. Doesn't mean he's a bad person or it's something you need to confront him about, but if it makes you uncomfortable and continues that's when I would either confront him or find someone else to treat me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm

It can be seen as offensive....but I think he might have been trying to make some sort of point about how some autistic people feel sorry for themselves, and don't try hard enough.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

Definitely unprofessional. As far as offensive, it's kinda subjective but if I have been seeing a psychiatrist who has always been cool and calm I'd definitely be a bit shocked at this behavior.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 6:36 pm

Without more information I can't see what he was talking about, and it doesn't look like a joke at all, it just looks weird. But if I assume that he's not got ASD and you have, and that you've been saying things to him that are similar to the content of his "joke," then I guess he was making a joke at your expense, belittling you and insinuating that you hide behind your autism to avoid doing stuff you're quite capable of doing.

Or have I got it wrong about the point of his joke? More information, please.