How consistent are your sensory issues?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:55 pm

My sensory issues fluctuate a lot. I sometimes don't have any and they sometimes bother me quite a bit. Do they fluctuate for most people or are they more consistent?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:59 pm

Mine are extremely consistent. They are aways there. The only thing that fluctuates is how well I'm able to cope with/withstand them.

Love transcends all.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:31 am

mine are consistent I can't be in bright places (sun or places with harsh lighting) and I can't deal with loud noises/noisy environments

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:37 am

Fluctuate in intensity depending upon whether or not I get enough sleep.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 1:14 am

I think it's a mix for me. I always have them, but if I'm stressed or tired, they seem worse, and/or I can't cope with them as well.

It's hard to tell when my perceptions might be off as to whether something is worse or I just can't deal with it as well...

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 7:30 am

Emotion makes mine worse, especially any emotion that is not happiness related. Emotion wears me out period.

If I am doing something and know what I am supposed to do and have a "role", you might say, in a setting, the sensory stuff isn't as noticeable in the moment as I have my "role" to focus on. But then I can get overdone by the role I am playing and get overloaded from that and have to stim somewhere I won't be seen or take breaks more often than others.

I also seem to have this "crying hump" I have to get over. After the first 30 minutes to an hour or more maybe especially in an unfamiliar environment involving crowds I get tears in my eyes and feel the need to cry but can't. That passes after a bit and then I am more comfortable but still withdrawn.

Defies categorization. A mixed bag.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 8:08 am

My vary depending how much I sleep, whatever I am hungry and how is my overall mood.
They especially get much stronger after a sensory overload episode. I hear literally everything then and can't fall asleep because everything bothers me even if my room is as silent and comfortable as always.

And when I am doing something interesting enough to get me into hyperfocus my sensory issues seem to disappear for the time being.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 1:20 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
I think it's a mix for me. I always have them, but if I'm stressed or tired, they seem worse, and/or I can't cope with them as well.

It's hard to tell when my perceptions might be off as to whether something is worse or I just can't deal with it as well...

In my case my perceptions can be off sometimes. I once remember the radio seemed to be louder than usual. I asked other people, but they said it was just me.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
Fluctuate in intensity depending upon whether or not I get enough sleep.

Definitely. Also possibly illness and other energy-depleting things. My theory is that the sensory stuff is there all the time but that I learned to filter it or compensate for it as I grew up. When I get fatigued or very stressed, I lose the capacity to do that, so sensory stuff that I haven't been thinking about comes back strong.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:37 pm

Mine are constant. My ability to cope with them varies with mood and anxiety.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm

Mine fluctuate quite a bit too. For example, most of the time I'm fine with the noise in cafe's or restaurant's, while sometimes - out of the blue - I feel like the kid in this clip from man of steel:

I have no idea what triggers it.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)