Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 10:51 pm

Depends on the standards by which tidyness is judged. My home is well-organised for the most part, in the sense that I can usually find the stuff I need pretty easily. The rest of it is strewn around all over the place and it might take some time to find things I'm not particularly likely to need. The gangways are clear enough to allow me to get to the places I want to get to without tripping over things. Functionally, the system works. Some of my collections of items are meticulously organised, others are waiting for attention.

Cleanliness - well, the toilet's clean, the bath, sinks, and kitchen worktops aren't bad, the fridge is usually quite good, and I like to keep the cooker and washing machine clean. The cutlery and dishes etc. that I use are cleaned in a timely manner. The bed doesn't stink. Just as for organisational tidyness, the stuff I don't use is often rather worse. Dust has gathered on quite a lot of it, mostly because I haven't had the necessary executive function to containerize my millions of small items, so dusting is for the time being practically impossible.

Visually, there's a lot of room for improvement, though the staircase and landing are quite nice, and so are some of the fixtures and fittings, and occasionally I find myself giving this or that large item a good scrub. But I'm not going to get into House Beautiful magazine any time soon. I would feel embarrassed if anybody with a posh-looking home visited me, though very few of my friends are in that category, and I've been complimented on how cosy my place is.

I sometimes feel down about the poor state of the decor etc., especially as I'm rather a perfectionist, but overall I'm not too worried. When I lived in a shared house full of hippies, with far fewer possessions, I decorated my room so nicely that they said it didn't fit the house any more. I currently live alone, and the state of the place will just have to do for now. If and when my partner moves in with me, I think we'll enjoy sprucing it all up together, if we ever get the time. We both love interior design, and our collective DIY skills are quite good.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 12:50 am

ghoti wrote:
Oscar Madison from The Odd Couple here

Walter Matthau or Jack Klugman?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 1:49 am

I am Oscar Madison personified.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 2:06 am

scatterbrain and ditto house.

it's clean enough; dishes go in the dishwasher, trash gets taken out, that sort of thing, but the clean dishes are just stacked on the table or what have you, the 'to wash' clothing is in a pile...

i just can't focus when everything is too tidy, i'd be afraid to make a mess. if it is a mess already, there's less of a stress ;)
also, being able to just pull a pencil and paper from within reach wherever you are has its advantages

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 2:11 am

it takes so GD long to tidy up and it is so GD hard to keep on top of it always.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:51 am

I go between the two extremes. When I'm tidy, I'm so tidy that other people feel uncomfortable. I may not even let other people in the house. When I'm messy, you can't even see the carpet because rubbish covers all the surface. You can't even walk without stepping on rubbish. I'm in the latter state for the last five years. It's very stressful to live in that mess.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:58 am

at my worst it was like an episode of "hoarders" - I had "goat trails" running through my tin can where I had to get to places inside, such as the bathroom or such. fires started, luckily I caught them in time. when I met somebody here on WP I was inspired to tidy up and something clicked and in a fury lasting about a month I substantially tidied up the place, but for the last few months have been backsliding because it is just so hard to keep on top of it.

Yazz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2015, 5:14 am

What about important things? I constantly put things somewhere safe then have to pull the house apart to find them

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2015, 5:23 am

Another Oscar Madison here (without the leftover food, of course).
I feel life is way too short to worry about bullsh!t like "neatness".
I do suspect that if I were to outlive my spouse, I would likely become a "hoarder" (again, without the traces of food).
I've shown those tendencies in the past during times I lived alone with "clean" items stacked to the ceilings.
My eyes simply don't recognise "clutter", possibly as a result of my SPD?

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 5:54 am

That's one thing that really infuriates me:

Tearing the house apart to find an important something!

I would advocate buying a safe as a place to keep important documents.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm Oscar, too---except I don't leave old food and banana peels around.

Me too, at least, I try to dispose the banana peels on the same day that I ate the banana...

espeon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

i strive for perfection when it comes to tidiness, except when i dont, normally when im feeling too down to care about stuff, then i let my room get messy as it can get. but when im feeling alright i love cleaning and i love clean spaces.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am

I think the next time get the urge to clean house, I'll burn it down instead. Enough said?

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2015, 11:24 am

I'm messy, I'm fine with that. I know where everything is. It's when people try cleaning up and move things so that I can't find things and have a meltdown. Don't they realise that things are in that particular place for a reason?

Yazz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2015, 1:44 pm

I hoard baby clothes... it's ridiculous.. Also childrens drawings. I'm a fire hazard

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm

Yazz wrote:
I hoard baby clothes... it's ridiculous.. Also childrens drawings. I'm a fire hazard

Not if they are from your children, grandchildren, or other children with close emotional ties to you. I keep some things that belonged to my late wife that have no real value except as mementos. This isn't hoarding.