Hi, new here & have a ? bout GROUP HOMES

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ArtisticGirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2015, 12:18 am

So I joined this site, to ask about group homes, how are they like, have any of you lived in one? How was it? Anyone from Cali, LA, that lived in a group home?

I'm interested in moving out of my family home, I'm 29, I'm going to be 30 next yr, and DO NOT WANT TO LIVE WITH MY PARENTS UNTIL THEY PASS AWAY! I WANT AN INDEPENDENT LIFE, I'm very high functioning with mild autism (was diagnosed when I was 14), any who, I'm tired of living at home with my parents, the environment is bad for my emotional well being, I'm very unhappy, and I feel my parent's are holding me back and hindering my growth, they have sheltered me for 29 yrs, and I'm ready to break out and be free.

So, I was wondering about group homes, because my autism rep lady for Regional Center, told me of group homes, and I told her i'm interested in moving there. I'm kind of worried, scared, uncertain about my future, and the group homes. I don't want to live in a group home forever, NO WAY, just temporary, until I gain independent skills, and eventually move out and live on my own. But, until then I really hope I'll be put in a good group home, I fear to be put in a crappy one :(

What other options are there for moving out with mild autism?
I thought of moving with a friend, but she wants me to have a job, I'm currently looking for a job, I have sent my resume's in, but haven't gotten call backs ;(

I really want to make it in life and show my parents that I can manage on my own and also, prove myself wrong, that I can live independently!

ANY ADVICE WILL BE SO HELPFUL, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! :heart:

cmropen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2015, 8:39 am

There's a number of housing options available, depending on the level of support and independence you're looking for. Check out housing information available through Autism Speaks. They have a page on their website thats filled with links to different information and resources on finding housing and the different options. Because of forum rules, I cant post the direct link here but if you google it it'll come up.