Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2015, 11:13 pm

What are the worst countries for aspies?

Here is my experience with them:

(1) USA: it has to be one of the worst. It is simple: most of the bad press for aspies comes from there. Anyone living a quiet life may be the victim of sayings like, "It is the quiet ones you gotta watch", and with a mass shooting every two week, and many of them coming from quiet students, or men living solitary lives, people who lack social skills may be ostracized faster than anyone.

(2) Perhaps most countries in Latin America. For example, living in Panama, I know Panamanians don't like to read. Libraries here are all closing, and the ones that exist are as small as a high school classroom. The only bookstore in a country of 3,800,000 people is Excedra, and whenever I go there, it is empty. Panamanians like to brag about the fact that they simply download the books for free on the web, which is usually nonsense. Ask people out there how much 6x6 is, and you realize you have a problem when it comes to intellect. Jobs that are good for aspies like programming, engineering are rare, since it is not a productive country, and the same can be said about most of Latin America. You may get more luck with Mexico, or Argentina, or Chile. But not with the heart of third world latin american countries.

I don't know about the rest of them.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2015, 11:20 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
What are the worst countries for aspies?

Here is my experience with them:

(1) USA: it has to be one of the worst. It is simple: most of the bad press for aspies comes from there. Anyone living a quiet life may be the victim of sayings like, "It is the quiet ones you gotta watch", and with a mass shooting every two week, and many of them coming from quiet students, or men living solitary lives, people who lack social skills may be ostracized faster than anyone.

(2) Perhaps most countries in Latin America. For example, living in Panama, I know Panamanians don't like to read. Libraries here are all closing, and the ones that exist are as small as a high school classroom. The only bookstore in a country of 3,800,000 people is Excedra, and whenever I go there, it is empty. Panamanians like to brag about the fact that they simply download the books for free on the web, which is usually nonsense. Ask people out there how much 6x6 is, and you realize you have a problem when it comes to intellect. Jobs that are good for aspies like programming, engineering are rare, since it is not a productive country, and the same can be said about most of Latin America. You may get more luck with Mexico, or Argentina, or Chile. But not with the heart of third world latin american countries.

I don't know about the rest of them.

So intellectual pursuits are at a minimum? New Zealand is perhaps not as extreme but is still very physically inclined, our top sport being rugby.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:53 am

South Korea
http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news/2011/researchers-track-down-autism-rates-across-the-globe

Quote:
In urban areas of South Korea, some families of children with developmental delays will go to great lengths to avoid a diagnosis of chapae, or autism. They think of it as a genetic mark of shame on the entire family, and a major obstacle to all of their children's chances of finding suitable spouses.

The stigma is so intense that many Korean clinicians intentionally misdiagnose these children with aechak changae, or reactive detachment disorder — social withdrawal that is caused by extreme parental abuse or neglect.

"The parents prefer this [diagnosis] because the mother can take the bullet and protect everybody else," says Roy Richard Grinker, professor of anthropology at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., who has screened some 38,000 children in South Korea for the country's first study of autism prevalence.

If it is this bad in S. Korea how bad is it in North Korea?

France
France's autism treatment 'shame'

It can't be to good for Autistics in religiously fundamentalist countries or authoritarian countries that stifle dissent.

If a country can be bi-polar the US that is that country on many matters including autism. It's extroverted national character and post 9-11, post Columbine paranoia over differences makes life fearful for autistics. But a lot of nuerodiversity emphasis on difference and individuality have roots in traditional pre 9/11 American values that have not completely died as seen in the recent LBGT gains.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:38 am

Probably most "third-world" countries.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 11:42 am

I agree with kraftiekortie--third world countries generally have huge stigmas surrounding neurodivergence, and they also rarely are able to provide adequate funding for services to neurodivergents.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 8:41 am

Xenization wrote:
I agree with kraftiekortie--third world countries generally have huge stigmas surrounding neurodivergence, and they also rarely are able to provide adequate funding for services to neurodivergents.

I agree with the lack of services, but whether or not there is huge stigma depends on the particular culture. The 'third world' covers parts of three different continents, each with vastly different culture and traditions.

Incidentally, in the US, some studies suggest that Latino families often cope better with an autistic family member - especially an adolescent or adult who can't live independently. US White culture places a huge importance on 'launching' your child into independent adulthood, and it's seen as a huge burden to have an adult child still dependent on their parents. (If they're not obviously disabled, the child is usually considered lazy, immature and selfish for continuing to burden their parents by living with them.) In contrast, in Latino culture, it's considered really important to be there to support your family members, and even nondisabled adults can live with their parents with no negative judgement. So Latino parents of autistic adolescents and adults are a lot less worried about whether their child can live independently or not.

Of course, this is among Latinos living in US. I have no idea if the same is true in South and Central America, but if so, I'd say that's more significant than whether you have books to read. Not all autistic people like reading, after all, but everyone likes having a family that supports them and doesn't stress out too much about their disability.

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2015, 11:36 am

Hi, I am from south korea living in a northern european country.

I find it difficult to deal with those with so called southern mentality. For example italians, spaniards, greeks, latin americans, filipinos and so on. Dealing with them is one thing but it also makes me nervous to be out on the streets as well.

Indeed south korea or other eastern asian countries for that matter are bad for those with severe autistic traits but if you are mild, you can survive it without getting noticed much since its cultural set of behaviour are quiet reserved. But I find my life much easier here in northern europe.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2015, 10:06 am

I have been warned about Spain. I could get citizenship there, but I am worried about it.

Panamanians are bad for having a black and white mentality. Either you have a wife, or girlfriend, and you party a lot, or you are just a loser, and a moron, and maybe a gay person too. That kind of mentality can easily get you irritated, or even get someone to try to take advantage of you.

I keep to myself and work at home, fortunately, so I rarely have to listen to people asking me if I have a relationship, and when was the last time I went to a party or a nightclub.

Spain is supposedly a place where people party all the time, and love to socialize. I'd go crazy in a place like that, since I like to keep to myself.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2015, 12:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably most "third-world" countries.

Absolutely!

Or any developing country unless you are in the bubble of being a super rich 0.01% where you'd have to leave the country to the USA or someplace to get a diagnosis or any kind of support.

My parents are from Bangladesh for example, and the term "Autism" is the one most commonly used (including by schools, hospitals, charities etc) to describe very severe (predominantly physical but also including cognitive) handicap. It is used to describe cerebral palsy, down syndrome, birth defects and such. No one, including doctors have any inkling what actual Autism is. I think the situation is similar in Pakistan and and most of India.