Relatives that say it's not Autism and they only punish

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm

Trying to be succinct -

My own family was horrible to me, everything was punishment. If you do a thing wrong it's anger, hatred, punishment. Physical, mental, emotional - take all privileges away to make me do as they wished (and I still couldn't do it - surprise surprise) so they always told me negative and hateful things about what a failure I was.

Fast forward to being far away from all of them and having 4 kids of my own and the kids mostly don't even talk to one another. They're grown now and they just hate each other. I see AS traits in them clearly and they all deny it. Each has quirks and issues and the next hates them for it. I hear "She's a horrible person" all of the time and "He's just an ass so who wants to be around him anyway?" as they leave each other out of gatherings or refuse to communicate.

I've been diagnosed with AS but am the only one with an official diagnosis. They won't even be evaluated.

My big issue is this - if one of them were in a wheelchair, the others wouldn't talk about them cruelly and make fun because they can't walk. Instead they would rally around the disabled sibling, at least I think they would. For the most part all 4 are decent humans. But there is zero tolerance for the others and each feels they're the only 'normal' one.

Like my own 3 brother and sisters and mother and father - there is nothing there but hatred and contempt. No attempt to understand, no attempts to get me help when I was a kid, no discussion on what is going on. Just punishment and always telling me I'm a horrible person and a failure and a disappointment.

Do you ever see this or is my family the only ones who refuse to accept the spectrum as explanation for behavior? I've tried for decades to be understanding to each kid, and to explain to the others that this kid has this issue and they have another issue and they all tell me I'm just stupid and I'm falling for the horrible person's tricks. They all insist that person has no problems, they're just a horrible person.

Shouldn't there be understanding? Especially in a family that is rampant with AS traits for generations. My mother and her father are Textbook Aspies. Classic. Just didn't get a diagnosis back then. They did get diagnosis of Clinical Depression, OCD, other stuff. Now it's clear they were both AS.

I struggle with this all of the time. Just because a person doesn't have an official diagnosis, I can't write them off as being a jerk when what I see is typical AS behavior that may appear like a 'jerk' to an NT if they don't try to understand it. I'm sick of being written off myself as being mean or thoughtless or an idiot when I have none of those motivations.

How do you get hard hearted people to try and understand? And then what if the people I'm trying to get to understand are themselves Aspies and maybe they can't see the good motive the badly behaving person has? :? :? :? :? :?

To be angry at someone and say "Oh they can help it - they just don't want to act better because they're a horrible person" is something I can't find a way to counteract. I heard that all my childhood and I hear it now from each kid about the others. Lots of backstabbing and gossip and anger and they won't be in the same place at the same time, etc. No forgiveness. No trying to understand. No letting anything slide, instead everything has to be punished. And grudges have to be held indefinitely.

-- Emerson

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm

earthmom wrote:
Shouldn't there be understanding? Especially in a family that is rampant with AS traits for generations. My mother and her father are Textbook Aspies. Classic. Just didn't get a diagnosis back then. They did get diagnosis of Clinical Depression, OCD, other stuff. Now it's clear they were both AS.

Actually, undiagnosed AS people can sometimes be the least sympathetic, because a) the diagnosed AS person doesn't seem 'different' to them, and they assume they're normal, and b) they take the things they don't like about themselves and project them on you because you have the same traits.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 4:45 pm

Ah - really good points. Thank you. I think that sounds right.

-- Emerson

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 12:43 am

earthmom wrote:
Ah - really good points. Thank you. I think that sounds right.

what are their ages?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 11:47 am

I mentioned a lot of people there, not sure which ages you are interested in.

I've seen this my whole life growing up in a family of very dysfunctional people that clearly are on the spectrum. No help, only punishment for being different and always the constant accusation that "they know what they're doing - they can do better" I think if you punish a child continually week after week, month after month, year after year, at SOME POINT it should dawn on you that they really CAN'T do better. They are what they are. So stop punishing and try to understand or get them some help or cut them some slack.

I've seen this all of my own children's lives with their siblings. Now they're all grown but the 'least afflicted' and 'most NT' of the bunch always criticizes me because I cut slack to her sister and brother who are absolutely AS (not officially diagnosed). She thinks I "let them get away" with stuff and I give in to them. They're in their late 20s and 30s and clearly they are NOT just getting away with anything. They are able in some areas and totally unable in others and I help them when I can. I get called a sap for "letting them take advantage" of me.

I think the previous answer was correct, but it's ridiculously hard to deal with when your entire family growing up was this way and your own family is the same way. I wish I had found an NT for my partner so I could have diluted the AS in the genes, I think.

-- Emerson

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2015, 3:41 pm

earthmom wrote:
I mentioned a lot of people there, not sure which ages you are interested in.

I've seen this my whole life growing up in a family of very dysfunctional people that clearly are on the spectrum. No help, only punishment for being different and always the constant accusation that "they know what they're doing - they can do better" I think if you punish a child continually week after week, month after month, year after year, at SOME POINT it should dawn on you that they really CAN'T do better. They are what they are. So stop punishing and try to understand or get them some help or cut them some slack.

I've seen this all of my own children's lives with their siblings. Now they're all grown but the 'least afflicted' and 'most NT' of the bunch always criticizes me because I cut slack to her sister and brother who are absolutely AS (not officially diagnosed). She thinks I "let them get away" with stuff and I give in to them. They're in their late 20s and 30s and clearly they are NOT just getting away with anything. They are able in some areas and totally unable in others and I help them when I can. I get called a sap for "letting them take advantage" of me.

I think the previous answer was correct, but it's ridiculously hard to deal with when your entire family growing up was this way and your own family is the same way. I wish I had found an NT for my partner so I could have diluted the AS in the genes, I think.

My family is similar to yours and I have "lost" my kids as a result. Two observations: those people who hurt you previously, you aren't "cutting them any slack" for being on the spectrum. I would keep away from them for sure (it's taken me 15 years to remove myself from mine) but perhaps not blame them so much inwardly. I am on the very edge of the generation that gets diagnosed, older people than me had, and still have, absolutely no clue about themselves. I agree with the other poster that undiagnosed aspies are the harshest because they feel their social standing to be that much more precarious and that you are letting their side down.

My second idea is to cut your children more slack. They are probably much nastier to each other than they are to you,
so when you ask them for tolerance of each other you may not realise what you are asking. What was the last thing they said to each other? You don't know. Trying to push people together seems to have the opposite effect because to do that you have to ignore what they are trying to tell you - that they are hurt and alarmed by something.

I don't think you can fix this by doing what you are doing, but it's just possible it will get better naturally if you leave it alone.

Finally I am very sorry for you, for us. I hope you find some peace.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 12:13 am

That was a very nice and thoughtful reply, Chickenbird. Thank you.

-- Emerson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

earthmom wrote:

Shouldn't there be understanding? Especially in a family that is rampant with AS traits for generations. .

When I grew up AS traits were character flaws and there was still a huge stigma about seeking psychiatric/psychological help. Most people would not seek professional help unless things had totally fallen apart because it might result in you being committed to an institution and permanently could kill your chances for employment. So if a person who might be having difficulty but not outwardly totally out of it sought professional help the only reasons we could see for them making a decision that would negativity effect the rest of thier life was a character flaw of some sort, weakness, excuse making, attention seeking etc.

Then the knowledge was not there, now it is is and so much more is accepted with the exception of AS it seems. People seeking an AS explanation or label are still often seen as excuse makers or attention seekers. Everything has changed but often it seems nothing has changed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 12:55 am

Yes. They tried to beat it out of me. All of my childhood. :P

Thanks for your reply. I understand - we're about the same age and we came through this at the same time.

That is a great Hans Asperger quote.

-- Emerson