Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

oharris1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

Since I've been diagnosed I've almost felt myself becoming more autistic. Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone's autism go through phases of being more pronounced?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 7:06 pm

I seem to be more sensitive to cold and certain sounds, which were not issues when I was younger, but perhaps this is just an unknown (to me) aspect of getting older and has nothing to do with A.S.

I would be far more interested in become less like this, not more. I don't want to get worse than I already am at the moment.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 7:11 pm

oharris1997 wrote:
Since I've been diagnosed I've almost felt myself becoming more autistic. Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone's autism go through phases of being more pronounced?

Many aspects of it become much stronger for me depending on serotonin levels. Especially sensory issues, face recognition and misinterpreting people.

Another thought: Is it also possible that for you, being diagnosed triggered you to be more aware in the moment of your autistic traits as they happened?

SideOfTheHill
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm

In my opinion, yes, some people do "become more autistic" (search: Autistic Burnout).

Something to consider though, is that autistic characteristics and traits are not necessarily static. I don't know if it has anything to do with "How Measurably Autistic is this Person" - more like, "To What Degree is This Person Affected By Their Autistic Traits at this Moment" :wink:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm

Getting diagnosed often makes one more aware of there autistic traits and in some cases makes people think it is ok to be their Autistic selves instead of thinking who they are is something that needs to be hidden.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm

psychosomatic. once you hear that you have a disability that causes you to act a certain way, you start acting that certain way.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2015, 11:01 pm

I'm sure it can happen. I was diagnosed as an adult, but my autistic characteristics have progressively gotten stronger over the years. Maybe it was due to not learning appropriate coping skills or something. I agree with ZombieBrideXD too, it could be psychosomatic.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2015, 11:09 pm

Im not sure Ive gotten more autistic. Im learning what distinguishes me from the majority and thinking of ways to get around those gaps.....but I am who I am, cultural gaps and all.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 1:38 pm

It can indeed seem so, when you get dx´ed and begin to let go of the control you have had to maintain for all those years. The traits seem to get stronger as you discover them - for a while, until you have recognized and accepted.

Besides, - Like SideofTheHill says: Autism/traits/symptoms can fluctuate. It is not static, - exactly like any other kind of personality. We are all a little this in one period and a little that in another.

Last edited by Jensen on 17 Aug 2015, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 1:42 pm

I think there are two ways you can become "more autistic".

(1) Discovery or recognition of your autistic traits, such as you're experiencing, can make them more pronounced, or allow you to realize when you display one of these traits.

(2) If you're under stress, in pain, or have just entered a new environment, your autistic traits can really become more obvious. The stress/pain/overload can be distracting, and you often revert to your natural, autistic way of acting.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2015, 12:41 pm

Stress, anxiety levels, and sensory overload can all make my autistic traits pop out. The best example I can give is when I go into an electronics parts supply store, it can throw me into an sensory overload condition. Electronics is one of my special interests, and I kick into full think tank mode of all the different projects I can do with all of the parts in the store. Normally I have very little problems looking people in the eyes, but when my mind fills up and overloads with all the thoughts regarding all the projects I could do, it becomes painful to look the store clerk in the eyes, conversation becomes extremely difficult, I become more sensitive to light, and so on. Give me a few minutes outside of the store, let my mind clear of all the little projects I was thinking of, and I return to normal.