Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Crazypandalady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2015, 12:36 am

I was diagnosed at 34 with Aspergers (this year). Plenty of people with Aspergers are never diagnosed.

My fiancé and I are trying to have a baby (infertility 3 yrs - Endometriosis ). We have the support of our families. It takes a village to raise a child-our village is ready.

It can be a mistake for anyone with or without AOS to have a child. There is no training for parenthood, and many people out there won't admit that they hate it.

I have a friend who was diagnosed Aspergers in her fifties. She is a Mother of two grown women that don't have Aspergers. She was diagnosed after her grandson was found to have Autism. She is happy.

As far as not passing it on, it doesn't always happen in a linear line, so should also the brothers, sisters even cousins not be allowed to have children?

As more and more people are diagnosed with Aspergers that would be a huge amount of their family you would have to also ban too, and how could this be enforced?

It also means that our lives on the spectrum are not worth living, and this is offensive to me. Only you can make the decision for you. I just as you to respect my decision too.

My mother who has schizophrenia when she told her psychiatrist she was pregnant (married and 30) gave her a referral for an abortion. If she had done it I would not be here, and her life would have been lonly, once divorced she probably would not have had the opportunity to remarry either. She is an excellent mother. Lots of people say people with mental illnesses should not breed for the same reasons.

I suggest you look into the social model for disability which says the person with the diversity (impairment) isn't disabled the world is not adapted to us. An example is supermarkets are not great places for lots of people who have sensory issues or bad lighting, too many smells etc... in another society it would be very different.

Suffering is part of the human condition. No one can avoid it if they want to develope as a human being.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 2:05 am

^^^
I hope providence smiles down upon you both. :star: