Is refusing to return to work selfish or not ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 6:59 am

I have been hearing about people refusing to return to work because they don't feel it is safe to return and obviously and understandably they are anxious about it, but I seem to think is it selfish because of being too scared and paranoid to face the fear and feel more comfortable at home. I feel like I have that mindset and I return to work in a couple of days and the thing is, I work for a book store, a place I like and am a regular customer to, and I want to work but I find it just too hard to work and concentrate when there is still something out there you can't see, and that maybe if I was in charge I would not return until it is safer and cases are much lower and less widespread. And yet, people say the economy will be ruined, businesses going bust, more jobs will be lost, and more people unemployed.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 7:01 am

I don't think it's selfish at all -- I know I wouldn't return to the office if it was required right now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 11:52 am

It’s not “selfish.”

I want to return to work, though. Back to a normal life.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 12:14 pm

Is being anxious or cautious and concern about one's own health and livelihood selfish?
Is wanting to elevate any distress related to the event selfish?
Is wishing any stop of change selfish?

In my opinion, a good fraction is questioning the same question about what they would do and what they want.
There's just three main reaction: being guilty about it, being busy worrying, and/or attempting to be firm with whatever choice or would be choice they make up.

I, for one, don't mind returning to work -- or not. :lol:
I, for one, also, may not even mind societies collapsing or not have any significant system change. :twisted:
I don't feel anxious and I don't feel guilty of what I would do or want toward and against what's happening out there.

And so, I cannot simply judge whether or not attempting to preserve own's health or attempting to preserve livelihood is any less selfish than the other.
Most people would assume either it's the latter because it's for the many or whichever they like less and assume being against own wish is less selfish. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 12:42 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I have been hearing about people refusing to return to work because they don't feel it is safe to return and obviously and understandably they are anxious about it, but I seem to think is it selfish because of being too scared and paranoid to face the fear and feel more comfortable at home. I feel like I have that mindset and I return to work in a couple of days and the thing is, I work for a book store, a place I like and am a regular customer to, and I want to work but I find it just too hard to work and concentrate when there is still something out there you can't see, and that maybe if I was in charge I would not return until it is safer and cases are much lower and less widespread. And yet, people say the economy will be ruined, businesses going bust, more jobs will be lost, and more people unemployed.

Theirs nothing wrong with wanting to keep yourself safe and others. Life, health, happiness and safety come first. It’s a difficult situation. Some people have lower immunity than others so that’s got to be considered, some need the money . I think you’ll be ok, they should provide hand sanitizers , masks and disposable gloves. Stay safe

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 1:42 pm

I am thinking a lot about this issue too. I don't drive and i have a job that is mobile so i will have to use public transport a lot. I have decided to wait until september to look for a job. My parents are okay with me not working too but i still feel guilty sometimes.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 1:52 pm

In this case, no. If one's a member of a risk group then definitely not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 2:16 pm

As long as one has sufficient savings, one could hold off on working until one feels safe.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 3:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
As long as one has sufficient savings, one could hold off on working until one feels safe.

Agree with the comment above! even if you enjoy your job, it's not worth the risk! we're still not out of the woods, we did the lockdown too late and lifted it a bit early.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

No. Being filled with fear of going out is what the government wants.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 5:51 pm

Joe90 wrote:
No. Being filled with fear of going out is what the government wants.

Maybe. I know we've got to carry on and everything in life can potentially harm us. But this virus, is still deadly so it's good to exercise caution, better to be safe than sorry, especially if it's not our time to die. Agree that at times, alot of the news can be based on fear mongering to a certain extent.