Why does everyone hate autistic people?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 7:30 pm

Why? I don't understand why NT's hate us for our lack of communicating and for being socially awkward. Can someone tell me why? Also regarding the title of this topic, I understand that there are lots of people who like autistic people, I am just speaking for the ones who don't.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 7:57 pm

In an over-simplified fashion, Autistic people have very little opportunity to share their voices--whether it be in the media, online, or in real life. We're a minority, and it's always very difficult for a minority to be heard. Especially when autism comes with the stigma of "mental illness".

There are lots of other reasons, too. I'm just talking about one.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 8:02 pm

I don't think the majority of NTs hate us. The way it was explained to me by my therapist was that our awkwardness and lack of social skills make people feel uncomfortable, so they tend to avoid us.
Which is fine by me.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I don't think the majority of NTs hate us. The way it was explained to me by my therapist was that our awkwardness and lack of social skills make people feel uncomfortable, so they tend to avoid us.
Which is fine by me.

How is it fine by you? (just asking)

Dysmania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm

People tend to dislike what they cannot understand. As much as NT think they can be empathic with people. They are only empathic with people they can relate to. Thinking about how an autistic person can think simply cannot be experienced by someone who is NT and those people simply cannot relate. Therefore, they become impatient and hostile. NT people also tend to be overly manipulable to social scenarios. And people who go against the social agenda is simply someone who is disrespectful, because if you are able to be social and you are not, then that's disrespectful. NT relate in that way, from their own experiences. It's an ignorant view that has been ingrained in all NT people. If you don't follow, then you are disrespectful.

That's my take.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm

Dysmania wrote:
People tend to dislike what they cannot understand. As much as NT think they can be empathic with people. They are only empathic with people they can relate to. Thinking about how an autistic person can think simply cannot be experienced by someone who is NT and those people simply cannot relate. Therefore, they become impatient and hostile. NT people also tend to be overly manipulable to social scenarios. And people who go against the social agenda is simply someone who is disrespectful, because if you are able to be social and you are not, then that's disrespectful. NT relate in that way, from their own experiences. It's an ignorant view that has been ingrained in all NT people. If you don't follow, then you are disrespectful.

That's my take.

I'll say you have a great point there. My theory is that NT's are jealous that people with autism (Which I call autistics and no offense) can relate perfectly to other autistics, but NT's don't understand why autistics can't relate to them as perfectly. I'm just guessing.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 8:30 pm

Aspie202 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Which is fine by me.

I wish to avoid them too so it's a mutually beneficial non-relationship.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Aspie202 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Which is fine by me.

Ah, I see.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 8:46 pm

Raleigh wrote:

It sounds mutually beneficial.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm

NT's need autistics; autistics need NT's.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm

Hey boss, I know you use always appropriate concepts, so I agree with you almost all the time, but I don't think I need NTs. I need wifi and my laptop and an appropriate hfa male friend.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 11:13 pm

Dysmania wrote:

That's my take.

I agree with this post. When people cannot understand someone, many tend to project their own attitude onto him/her and misinterpret him/her negatively. Some good-natured people don't jump to a conclusion like that though.

I'd add that the fact many autistic people tend to be socially awkward/not confident and are hence often considered to be at the bottom of the social hierarchy must be contributing to autistic people being treated badly. Because many people tend to be hierarchy-followers, they try to secure their position in the hierarchy by respecting popular people (high in the hierarchy) and mistreating unpopular people (low in the hierarchy).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

Where did the idea empathy automatically equals like come from?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm

I think it's because of the stigma of autism. People think we are monsters because of how we act and function. I also think it's due to the fact that we are way different from them. We tend to act in a way that isn't accepted by normal society standards. This is what makes us get hated or ridiculed because we are different. Like some other person said, people will go after what is different from themselves. People will bully a poor kid for wearing ratty clothes. They'll bully a kid for the freckles on his face or because of the way they dress each day. It's not just us they pick on. Again, people pick on those who are different.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 1:50 pm

I think it's because they are essentially pack animals and they focus on us because we are different. However, I think most NTs have risen above that and/or they know it's not socially acceptable to attack us. I really haven't had much trouble since leaving high school, where, of course, the football airhead jocks were the worst.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

glebel wrote:
I think it's because they are essentially pack animals and they focus on us because we are different. However, I think most NTs have risen above that and/or they know it's not socially acceptable to attack us. I really haven't had much trouble since leaving high school, where, of course, the football airhead jocks were the worst.

I think jocks are trying to get the girl, and they'll do anything to get a girl, even if It means bullying others. I guess they think that bullying will make them seem tough to girls.