Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 1:32 am

My performance IQ is 87, but I don't seem to have visual spatial difficulties. I don't have any problems with spatial awareness when I'm driving and I don't get lost more than average. I do get confused by directions, but once I know where something is I know where it is. I also love art and I can visualize it in my head. Why the low performance IQ?

mild mannered missanthrope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2015, 5:18 am

I also got a difference between my verbal and performance scores when I was tested (like you my performance score was lower than my verbal score). They labeled me NVLD (non verbal learning disability) because of this. I remember that i didn't find the overall label very helpful (I was 13 and my school didn't do anyhting to help me, nor did anyone explain the testing or results at the time), but when I looked at the report for the whole test years later, I was able to see the sub-sections in which I did really well and the sub-sections in which I did really poorly. This helped me to research and develop strategies for coping better by compensating for some of the things my brain just doesn't seem to want to do.

Because the performance iq is comprised of many different sub-tests could it be that you did really well on some & really poorly on others (I got 99% on one and 9% on another!) this may be why you can drive, but have trouble turning verbal/written directions into the 'picture of the place' that your brain needs in order to understand directions (I have trouble with this & try to use Google street view to look at new routes before I go...it helps me so much!).

If you have access to the full report from your testing it should contain a summary of how you did on each sub-test as well as a score for each sub-test. Looking back over the report may help you to understand why you got the score you did.

This thread discusses performance/verbal iq splits. I found it interesting to see that many others on WP seem to have similar experiences:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134462

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

Mine was about 107 when I did the test as a kid. But my verbal IQ was low but it was a 91 or a 93 by 5th grade. So it was the opposite for me. I wonder why aspies score lower in performance. But I also have a hard time understanding directions unless they are written down and I hate finding new places and also I have a hard time visualizing something I have never seen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 11:27 am

difference between verbal and performance scores indicates learning disabilities.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm

If I take an IQ test that is heavy on numbers, I can score as low as 86. Other tests score me at 131. I think these tests are for people with 'normal' brains, not for us. They're basically invalid, but unfortunately society puts an emphasis on them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

I once scored 90 Performance, and 150 Verbal. Very characteristic of Aspies.

I don't remember much of what was in a room once I leave it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:57 pm

I wonder what does it mean when one scores low in verbal and higher in performance?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

mild mannered missanthrope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

Hi League_Girl,

I think that one of the main uses for IQ tests is identifying Learning Disabilities (especially in children/youths, with the intention of providing educational support.). The LD subtypes are: Attention with or without Motor function Disabilities (AMD), Verbal Learning Disabilities (VLD) and Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities (NVLD). I would guess that if the performance score is higher than the verbal score it would indicate either VLD or AMD (but I am not a professional in this field, so I do not know how psychologists are meant to combine the results of the different Sub-Tests to decide on a Learning Disability Label.).

Hope that helps :D

This Wikipedia page explains the differences between Performance and Verbal IQ scores on a commonly used test the WAIS III : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale

This image from the article shows the areas of function that each Sub-Test on the WAIS III assesses:

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm

IQ tests are grossly inaccurate way of measuring intelligence, anyone with any intelligence would know that intelligence is not able to be quantified (with accuracy).

Also people who score poorly on IQ tests can develop low self-esteem issues and people who score highly can become vainglorous, pompous and rude. It's like people with lower IQs are inferior to them.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm

Rudin wrote:
IQ tests are grossly inaccurate way of measuring intelligence, anyone with any intelligence would know that intelligence is not able to be quantified (with accuracy).

Seems like half the people on WP think their own personal concept of intelligence is superior to the one(s) on which standardized IQ tests are based.