Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Can you have only NVLD and Hand Flap?
No, If you have NVLD you do not engage in any self stimulation behaviors beyond what a neurotypical would 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Yes, You can have NVLD without Aspergers and still hand flap and do other abnormal stims. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm

Can you have NVLD without Aspergers and hand flap and/or other types of stimming?
I fit the criteria for NVLD but not Asperger's (not severe enough among other things) but I stim a lot. I feel my keyboard because I like the texture, I hand flap when excited, and sometimes flop on my bed when excited and make weird noises. But despite all of that I'm pretty High Functoning. So my questions is do some Nlders without AS stim to that level?

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2015, 2:32 am

I would suggest some of the following:

- You have the specific learning disabilities or executive functioning difficulties (which may be associated with ASD) but be on the Broader Autistic Phenotype (BAP)/subthreshold in most areas except to do with processing of information (including sensory) leading to more stimming that usual in an "NT".

- The people who claim that Sensory Processing Disorder can exist without ASD are correct and you've had the lucky draw of
NLVD and SPD.

- If you have motor difficulties, then your difficulties with planning, etc, might be better explained by Dsypraxia which the ICD 10 describes as including sensory processing difficulties.

- You've overestimated the assessment criteria/under estimated your other symptoms. (When I was assessed things that I thought I didn't have problems with were noted down).

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2015, 3:06 am

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
I would suggest some of the following:

- You have the specific learning disabilities or executive functioning difficulties (which may be associated with ASD) but be on the Broader Autistic Phenotype (BAP)/subthreshold in most areas except to do with processing of information (including sensory) leading to more stimming that usual in an "NT".

- The people who claim that Sensory Processing Disorder can exist without ASD are correct and you've had the lucky draw of
NLVD and SPD.

- If you have motor difficulties, then your difficulties with planning, etc, might be better explained by Dsypraxia which the ICD 10 describes as including sensory processing difficulties.

- You've overestimated the assessment criteria/under estimated your other symptoms. (When I was assessed things that I thought I didn't have problems with were noted down).

I think I am too weird to just be BAP (very simple way of putting it).
Maybe I could have SPD and NVLD. Though my sensory problems aren't that huge of a deal they are annoying. Like I don't like certain lights, too many noises at one time sometimes overwhelm me (not that often though) and I act like I am being tickled if someone puts there hand on my leg or arm and probably everywhere else. I wouldn't really consider my sensory problems to be disabling, more just annoying. Are there people with SPD that are like that?
Could Dyspraxia explain feeling textures I like, hand flapping when excited and other abnormal stims? Also I have problems with visual recall, visual spatial skills (suck at geometry and anything related to shapes), having a hard time understanding bigger concepts and ideas without having information overload, social awkwardness and isolation, (I do have friends but only like 2) literal and logical thinking, having difficulty controlling and understanding emotions, odd social emotional reciprocity (it's not that I don't have it, it's just I feel like mine works differently), poor working/short term memory, difficultly understanding other people (again it's not that it is impossible or I have very little feelings I just feel like I am wrong in social situations often, not as severe as a typical aspie, I think at least) and I also I can read extremely fast and am a good talker.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:32 am

It's entirely possible (although not as likely) that you could have NVLD and stim.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

NVLD alone doesn't cause stimming, though it certainly doesn't prevent it. After all, even some NTs stim, it's just less common than with AS.

However, it's important to note that they changed the criteria for autism in DSM-V, and now it's easier to meet the repetitive behaviour criteria. (If you have NVLD, you'll already meet the social criteria.) So you may want to check if you fit the DSM 5 autism criteria.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 11:10 am

Ettina wrote:
NVLD alone doesn't cause stimming, though it certainly doesn't prevent it. After all, even some NTs stim, it's just less common than with AS.

However, it's important to note that they changed the criteria for autism in DSM-V, and now it's easier to meet the repetitive behaviour criteria. (If you have NVLD, you'll already meet the social criteria.) So you may want to check if you fit the DSM 5 autism criteria.

I don't think that "true NVLD" causes marked social problems, at least in childhood. "NVLD" often appear to be a sort of "aspieness", not a learning disorder. The term NVLD is confusing. Deficit of social skills should NOT be named as a learning disorder. Those with "NVLD" who have problems with lack of eye contact, "strange" facial expression, problems with social reciprocity should be named as Aspies or even autistics for me. "Pure" NVLD should not give such a problems. "NVLD" should mean just "visual-spatial(-motor) disorder", not something in which marked social skills deficits or "bizarrities" like fixative interests or stimming can be present.

A person can have:
- disability in reading visual information like graphs, clocks, maps,
- dyscalculia,
- dysgraphia,
- dyspraxia,
- inability to recognise items with closed eyes.
Then these problems look to be NVLD. But an individual with such problems has not to have problems with social skills (especially in childhood) and has not to be "fixative", "hyperkinetic" ("stimmable"), oversensitive to some sensory stimuli!

In my opinion not all sorts of aspieness are linked to childhood autism (Kanner's syndrome). I would name many "NVLDers" Aspies or maybe even autistics. They do not have "Kanner-like autism" or something like it, but are also Aspies due to marked social problems and maybe also peculiarities like fixative interests, stimming, oversensitivity. It is bad than many Aspies are misdiagnosed as learning disabled people.

"NVLD" with social skills deficit and "NVLD" with social skills deficit and "peculiar" traits or symptoms and ither developmental conditions in which social skills deficits are present (like Kanner's syndrome) should be in other category of developomental disorders ("pervasive developmental disorders" or something analogous to it, this category would be associated with social inadequacy (marked deficits of social skills or social reciprocity) and "peculiarity" ("odd" traits and symptoms, like "obsessive" interests, being "hyperkinetic" or "stimmable")). These conditions might be conceptualised as "different ways of functioning" (so these conditions are more "holistic", have more general impact to life of an individual), but not as learning deficits. They should be in other category than specific disabilities of scholastic skills and other specific developmental disabilities.

Only NVLD without social skills deficits or just minor ("not significant") social skills problems (associated with problems with visual-spatial learning or processing, analogous to problems with social communication associated with for example speech and language developmental disorders) can stay in the category of specific developmental disabilities. Lack of thinking about eye contact (not problems with it due to impaired visual-spatial skills) and other marked nonverbal communication problems, social "dysreciprocity" (such as "uninterest" in gaining social skills), fixative interests, "stimmablity", oversensitivity to sensory stimuli should be excluded from symptoms of NVLD and other learning disabilities and from symptoms of specific developmental disorders. "NVLD" with "social ineptitude" is in other class for me (in one class with childhood autism) than true NVLD (which is in one class with dyslexia), which does not cause "peculiarities".