Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Posts: 470
Location: Bottom of the Abyss

12 Sep 2015, 3:23 pm

Anyone else get really freaking intense and bizarre dreams? My dreams are so crazy that I often wake myself up by shouting in my dreams, laughing or screaming to a nightmare a lot of the times. Last night was by far the most intense and crazy dream by far though.

I had my first lucid dream! I've read about them before and was always really intrigued by the phenomenon, it seemed so cool to be conscious you are dreaming and to be in control of it. What first set it off was I was standing and I remember the distinct sense that my legs felt different and kind of heavy or hard to use, then I look down at my legs and they seemed really distorted and I knew right away this was a dream.

Then I tried seeing what I could do with it. I put my hands on my legs and when I gripped my fingers went through my skin and I could literally feel it, it was so weird. Then I started seeing if I could fly through my dream and it worked! I've always wanted to do that, ever since reading about lucid dreaming.

I woke up feeling weird though almost like I had taken psychedelics the night before and felt groggy and burnt out. Felt like I was in the dream forever too. I hope I'm able to control my dreams more often and this wasn't just a one time deal!

Anyone else ever lucid dream before?



glebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 1,665
Location: Mountains of Southern California

12 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

I'm the total opposite. I wake up with, at most, a vague impression of having dreamed.


_________________
When everyone is losing their heads except you, maybe you don't understand the situation.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 73,479
Location: Queens, NYC

12 Sep 2015, 3:35 pm

I think what you go through is pretty universal. You should try to remember them. For they are creative fodder. You could write great stories based on them.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

12 Sep 2015, 3:50 pm

I've had many lucid dreams in the past.

One thing that I used to regularly do in a dream is when reading a sign, newspaper, book cover, or anything else with text, I would consciously go back and read it again. No matter how much sense it made the first time I read it, it was always gibberish the second time around. I had read about this elsewhere and somehow managed to teach myself how to do it as well. I don't do this so often any more.

Just the other day I had a dream where I was at the local church. When I walked outside I found that they had towed all the cars parked at the church, including mine. I distinctly remember thinking "This is a dream -- I can fly" (I frequently have dreams of floating) and so I took off after the tow trucks. One thing that was particularly interesting in that dream is that it is very rare for my floating dreams to have much feeling of speed over the ground (maybe 2 or 3 mph at best), but in that dream I was moving at something like 100 to 125 mph about 20 feet off of the ground flying over the pastures and fields trying to cut off the tow trucks before they got to their destination.



Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Age: 121
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,021
Location: Out of my mind

12 Sep 2015, 4:03 pm

I have periodic lucid dreams.
They all seem to follow the same pattern.
I'm in some kind of life-threatening situation and I'm panicking and fighting against it but I get to a point when I realise I'm going to die. Then I hear a voice clearly in my head saying something along the lines of, "I'm not going to fight any more" or "I'm going to accept death."
The words are a bit different in each one but basically the same message.
Then I open my eyes and everything around me has this breathtaking clarity. There's also a deep sense of peace and stillness. It feels like everything is strangely suspended, just hanging there for me to notice. Like time has stopped.
It's so awesome.
I wish I could stay in the dream forever.
I wake up feeling very peaceful.


_________________
It's like I'm sleepwalking


Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Posts: 470
Location: Bottom of the Abyss

12 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

eric76 wrote:
I've had many lucid dreams in the past.

One thing that I used to regularly do in a dream is when reading a sign, newspaper, book cover, or anything else with text, I would consciously go back and read it again. No matter how much sense it made the first time I read it, it was always gibberish the second time around. I had read about this elsewhere and somehow managed to teach myself how to do it as well. I don't do this so often any more.

Just the other day I had a dream where I was at the local church. When I walked outside I found that they had towed all the cars parked at the church, including mine. I distinctly remember thinking "This is a dream -- I can fly" (I frequently have dreams of floating) and so I took off after the tow trucks. One thing that was particularly interesting in that dream is that it is very rare for my floating dreams to have much feeling of speed over the ground (maybe 2 or 3 mph at best), but in that dream I was moving at something like 100 to 125 mph about 20 feet off of the ground flying over the pastures and fields trying to cut off the tow trucks before they got to their destination.


Wow that's crazy!

I don't read enough in the "reality dream" to ever think I'd be dreaming about reading. I remember reading about a few different ways to tell if you are dreaming or not one of which is to look at the clock and see what time it is, look away then look at it again, and it will never be the same time...or the numbers will be distorted which is how the clocks looked in my dream yesterday.

The weird thing for me though is I remember the sensation in my legs more vividly than anything else I felt locked into place and I knew that wasn't right then it was like it just clicked that I was dreaming and from there on I was able to manipulate it, it was a lot of fun. The dreaming and being conscious of the dream seemed to hit me in waves though, like I'd forget it was a dream and then be stuck observing it rather then controlling it, then I'd realize it and have fun with it again.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

12 Sep 2015, 9:25 pm

Crazyfool wrote:
eric76 wrote:
I've had many lucid dreams in the past.

One thing that I used to regularly do in a dream is when reading a sign, newspaper, book cover, or anything else with text, I would consciously go back and read it again. No matter how much sense it made the first time I read it, it was always gibberish the second time around. I had read about this elsewhere and somehow managed to teach myself how to do it as well. I don't do this so often any more.

Just the other day I had a dream where I was at the local church. When I walked outside I found that they had towed all the cars parked at the church, including mine. I distinctly remember thinking "This is a dream -- I can fly" (I frequently have dreams of floating) and so I took off after the tow trucks. One thing that was particularly interesting in that dream is that it is very rare for my floating dreams to have much feeling of speed over the ground (maybe 2 or 3 mph at best), but in that dream I was moving at something like 100 to 125 mph about 20 feet off of the ground flying over the pastures and fields trying to cut off the tow trucks before they got to their destination.


Wow that's crazy!

I don't read enough in the "reality dream" to ever think I'd be dreaming about reading. I remember reading about a few different ways to tell if you are dreaming or not one of which is to look at the clocThat's kind of likek and see what time it is, look away then look at it again, and it will never be the same time...or the numbers will be distorted which is how the clocks looked in my dream yesterday.


Sometimes the wording doesn't look like it's made up of letters. Just odd letter-like shapes in rows but having no meaning.

It can be as simple as reading the name of a business off the front of a store.

Quote:
The weird thing for me though is I remember the sensation in my legs more vividly than anything else I felt locked into place and I knew that wasn't right then it was like it just clicked that I was dreaming and from there on I was able to manipulate it, it was a lot of fun. The dreaming and being conscious of the dream seemed to hit me in waves though, like I'd forget it was a dream and then be stuck observing it rather then controlling it, then I'd realize it and have fun with it again.


My office used to be the conference room and is pretty large. I've had plans to rearrange it all summer but haven't been feeling all that well. The other morning I worked until about 4 am and fell asleep on the easy chair in my office. As I was waking up, I dreamed that I had woken up and seen that someone else had come in and rearranged my office for me. It looked really good but was not as I intend to rearrange it. So in my dream I was amazed that they had rearranged my office without waking me up and a bit ticked off that they hadn't rearranged it like I wanted. Then, after about 20 to 30 seconds of looking at my office, i woke up.



olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,849
Location: Fairview Heights Illinois

13 Sep 2015, 2:12 am

Make sure you're not causing it with some medication or supplement, reaction to some food or drink, caffeine, or that you're not being drugged by psychopaths without your knowledge.



PorridgeGuy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 1 Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 74

13 Sep 2015, 3:25 am

I didn't know there was a name for this. It's happened to me sometimes. Sometimes I imagine that I'll be late unless I wake up immediately and I struggle to wake up but nothing happens. Not able to open my eyes.

It may actually be a bit different from what you described but I've also a few times been able to choose what's going to happen in my dreams. As Kraftiekortie says I guess it's pretty common.

I also sometimes dream that I dream or that I'm waking up from a dream and have to keep waking up from this dream too. Kind of like in Inception :D


_________________
Many traits but no official diagnosis. Certainly BAP, possibly AS.


eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

14 Sep 2015, 3:02 am

What's scary is sleep paralysis when you are waking up. You want to move, but no matter how hard you try, you aren't moving.

I suppose that if it happened often enough, one could get comfortable with it knowing that it will go away in a few minutes, but the few times it happened to me, I was almost in a panic about it.



olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,849
Location: Fairview Heights Illinois

19 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

eric76 wrote:
What's scary is sleep paralysis when you are waking up. You want to move, but no matter how hard you try, you aren't moving.

I suppose that if it happened often enough, one could get comfortable with it knowing that it will go away in a few minutes, but the few times it happened to me, I was almost in a panic about it.



I see this as kind of the opposite of lucid dreaming.
The sleep paralysis used to happen to me quite often when I was between 10 and 12 years old, and would sometimes be accompanied by some mild hallucinations.



Noca
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 May 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,859
Location: Canada

19 Sep 2015, 10:16 pm

When i was on certain meds in the past I would have extremely vivid and detailed dreams, sometimes I would become aware of that I was dreaming. I've had some control to manipulate certain aspects of my dreams but not others.


_________________
The top gets higher the more that I climb...

Your neurodiverse score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 51 of 200

officially diagnosed with Asperger's as of 09/11/15

Reassessed 04/11/16
DSM-V: ASD level 2 with Social Communication Severity: level 2, Restrictive Repetitve Behaviour: level 2

ADOS-2 classification: Autism


mrfoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 15 Feb 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Location: Singapore

17 Feb 2016, 4:50 am

I have vivid dreams when I was young or recurring ones, that feels like I was in a landscape of weird texture. Which I was portray as a tiny guy climbing through a free form terrain of texture in darkness. That happens to be my blanket after once or twice I was in a self awaken and back to sleep state. My sensory of texture got amplified a million times when I was a child.

Recently I have some dreams that are pretty long and intense, futuristic , life threatening and I told my best friend about it in detail. If you believe in deja vue, one of my dream was a smiliar scene to jupitar ascending which was aired months later.

After visiting the GP about my recent possible condition , I was given Fluvoxamine 50mg as an anti depressant. As it probably increase the dopamine/serotonin level, I had vivid dream from the 1st time taking it and had excessive sleep after that. (switch to fluvoxatine after that)
A few went into lucid dream when I woke up , took a pee and continue the dream as if its a 1st person shooter game. Many of the dream were weird and monster/bloody aliens/gore/sci fi elements are involved.

When I wake up from these dreams, I typed in out in my journal as a record which I don't think will be recurring again.


_________________
Aspie/Austism score 33 (34 & up) ADHD score 40 (34 & up)
High alexithymic / dysthymia / Possible Borderline PD
Star children - Indigo Child Myer Brig - INTJ The Architect
enneagram most like 5w4 - The Investigator / The Individualist
IQ 120 -130 High in Visual Intellgence


Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,606
Location: United States

17 Feb 2016, 6:06 am

I always have extremely bizarre, unrealistic dreams. They make very little sense, and seem to be collections of feelings and experiences all mashed up. From hearing about the dreams of others, I know mine to be unusual.

I often have lucid dreams. I also frequently have terrible nightmares. Once I woke up while still under sleep paralysis, and could not move my body much at all for several minutes. It was extremely strange.