Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2015, 2:35 pm

Just wondering if is is common amongst us on the spectrum to be frugal or more inclined to save (rather than spend) money.

(Personally, I have very limited interests - am female - and see no need to spend money on clothing or a new pair of shoes. Sometimes wear the same clothes every day. )

Also, have no social network so there is no need to keep up to date on gadgets, the latest movies or other interests that require expenditure of money.

What about you? Do you consider yourself to be frugal or a saver?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm

Yes, I am. I have only one pair of pants and one pair of sneakers. I also only have six t-shirts and two button shirts. I also like buying food in bulk to save money. I recently bought 120 cans of Chunky vegetable soup because they were on sale for 88 cents each. That's pretty typical of the way I buy food.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2015, 2:48 pm

I've been called an "economic terrorist" because I avoid paying full price for anything. I never go to high-end retailers and usually only buy stuff when it goes on sale. I carefully look over ads each week and plan out what I'm going to buy, unless I'm headed to somewhere like Dollar Tree where I already know what I'll be paying. I guess I'm the type of consumer that helps make the Dow Jones tumble. I'm also the same way when I plan out my travel. I do spend all my money, though.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

I used to be when I was younger (in my early 20s)

As I got older I started to realise that I wasn't fitting with my peers, also I wasn't getting any male interest, so I over-compensated and started spending too much money on clothes just so that I could at least look good. Nothing mental, I wasn't buying designer clothes. My logic was that if I don't look weird then people won't think I'm weird.

I have somehow managed to pile up a small amount of debt, but I've got a plan and if I'm frugal over the next 6 months I should be debt free as long as I don't have a depressive episode where I stop caring and just put stuff on my credit card. When that happens I end up buying music and not watching how much I spend on food.

Even with mad little spending sprees, I still seem to live a more frugal life than most people. Or maybe I'm just not earning as much, I don't know.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 2:55 pm

i'm reasonably frugal. i don't spend much on clothes, often getting them at a thrift shop. i do tend to spring for healthy food, though. i bought my car mildly used to avoid the automatic devaluation of driving a new car off the lot.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

I dislike waste generally - whether of funds, natural environmental resources, the potential for satisfying lives, food waste, I dislike salespeople coming to my door and wasting my time, or the idea of anyone phoning me trying to waste my energy and time because they want "just to chat" - gahhhh! I soon disabuse them of that as a good idea.. I give myself permission to waste my own time though, if I choose, and be satisfyingly idle from time to time. There have been times in my life when I have really pushed the boat out and bought fine things - as presents for others and myself. Generally though, I am "sensible" about spending and financial matters. My daughter regards me as frugal because I am not inclined to her level of expenditure :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:24 pm

I am extremely frugal, both in video games and in real life. In fact, in most rpgs that I play, I end up with a massive fortune that I have no idea what to do with because I'm so frugal. The problem now is that I feel like I have way too much stuff, but I don't know a good way of de-cluttering [plus I'm often tired and my Mum usually isn't up to much].

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:36 pm

Not exactly....I mean I try to go for better deals on items like lower priced vs. higher priced, sometimes I use coupons or will specifically get things on sale. Or with clothes I alot of times like hitting thrift stores and clearance racks I rarely buy clothing items at full price.....except shoes but hard to find good shoes in my size, used ones would just get worn out twice as quick.

I do not however save or go for low priced stuff just to save money per say....I mean the things i buy with money are worth more to me than the money itself. I have a little in my savings account as back up which I will take some out of when I need and when I have a little extra I throw it back in.

But yeah like some people think they have to be as cheap as possible at all times...like my moms boyfriend is kind of an example of this i mean hell even if he were to take my mom out on a date he'd probably be as cheap as possible even if he did have the money to afford a nice date.

I should be more frugal about food though :oops: like actually go grocery shopping instead of getting snacks or stopping to eat places...of course I don't go fancy places usually 7-11, places with low priced Mexican food or burger/sandwich places the higher quality than Mcdonalds, burger king ect type but still not the most healthy. I did cook my own breakfast burrito makings this week got a few out of that, but I should do that sort of thing more often.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 26 Sep 2015, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 4:52 pm

Where is the poll? All I see is a discussion thread.

As for frugality, I am the one in my family who is always the first to enquire about the cost of a purchase or an activity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm

Yes. Even when I tended to overspend and had a lot of debt, I was still frugal in my spending decisions. Now I have fairly significant savings and pretty minimal debt. I don't really buy anything I don't need.

Only thing I really spend more on is healthy food - but even then, I stock up in bulk when it's on sale... like the 20bs of hemp protein powder & 40lbs of hemp seeds I bought direct from Manitoba Harvest on Earth Day for ~$500 delivered.

Like others here, I can't be bothered to waste money on designer clothing or the latest gadgets. I shop on sale, at thrift stores, and am posting this from a 13" 2006 Macbook that I paid to repair earlier this year and will use until it fails completely.

I'm getting an 8 month transit pass in lieu of scrap value for my car, so I'm going to try to go without a car for over 9 months just to be able to pay off what little debt I owe and save/invest as much money as possible towards future goals.

As my income increases over time, I'll barely increase my spending & increase my savings as much as possible. My future entrepreneurial plans are far more important to me than buying crap I don't need today. About the ONLY thing I ever really splurge on are gifts for others. Being frugal all year enables me to spoil a lot of people at Christmas time. Last year my Christmas list was ~40 people & I ended up spending a few grand between Thanksgiving (Yes, Thanksgiving gifts for those I'm thankful for) & Christmas. This year I'm going to try to spend less because I haven't made as much money over this Summer as last.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 5:15 pm

I'm frugal to the extent of not wanting to waste the diminishing resources of the planet, so recycle as much as possible, take public transport rather than drive a car and spend only on what I use.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 6:10 pm

i always get whatever i can for free since i have little money. i torrent all my software and generally only buy something if i have a good use for it.

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2015, 6:25 pm

I'm not frugal, but I don't spend every penny I earn. I aim to have money tucked away for "big" things like holidays or a new car. I will buy things on sale if I can; particularly computer games.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 7:49 pm

I'm damn tight with my money. People actually tell me to spend more.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 8:31 pm

Frugal. Pretty much always have been.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:15 pm

I'm not the most frugal person on WP, or in real life for that matter. I'm going to start being frugal. It's hard for me to walk through Michael's without buying yarn. I also find it hard to walk into HMV without looking through Beatles CDs making a mental list of titles that I don't have, or buying a $30 Kinks LP.