Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 12:40 am

I like watching smoke as it disperses in the air, but I'm not a smoker. I often roll napkins, go outside, set them alight and watch them smolder. It's so relaxing! However, I avoid breathing the smoke.
What are your weird pleasures?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 1:15 am

Extra scratchy wool is one of my favorite materials, I also eat vegetables like candy.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 1:19 am

I suppose staring at anthills would count. It's a little like looking into a fire or a water flow. Quite soothing.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 2:44 am

Cockroach96 wrote:
I like watching smoke as it disperses in the air, but I'm not a smoker. I often roll napkins, go outside, set them alight and watch them smolder. It's so relaxing! However, I avoid breathing the smoke.

Wind. The gustier the better. Everything about it is relaxing. Just knowing a storm is on the way helps me get through a bad day.

Victorian: pressed flowers, fashion, potpourri & architecture. Walking through 100 year old buildings can make me cry little happy tears.

Oh, and sterling silver. No other metal even comes close. My mom used to hand me something and I'd tell her if it was s.s. by the color and sheen - story goes, I was never wrong. Touching & seeing it soothes me, so I always have s.s. jewelry.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2015, 3:21 am

Dressing inappropriatly for my age.
Virtually my entire wardrobe looks like it belongs on a 3 year old, not someone 53.
At my workplace we're all required to wear collared polo shirts and cargo pants, but even then I look like a big boy in a casual Parochial grade school uniform. I go for all-cotton where possible as it's most comfortable.
I refuse to wear "middle-age" crap like button-up long-sleeved shirts or bulky sweaters and knit polyesther slacks.
All my footware is extremely juvenile in style and mostly little to non-masculine by modern standards.
I prefer monochromatic clothing (black and white) with occasional matching colour accents in graphics or designs.
Also I'm heavily into sports figure and superhero themes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 5:39 am

Writing lists of random names (first names and surnames), then writing a random date of the year next to each name to resemble birthdays. It relaxes me.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 7:56 am

Eating Vitamin C pills like some candy. Adding citric acid to pretty much every dish. I love sour! 8)

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2015, 8:39 am

I love the smell of wood (like freshly sharpened pencils and book pages) and I'll smell them like crazy. It's weird but soothing.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 8:44 am

I have a fascination with languages, especially Portuguese, and like to think in other languages than my own. However, I only have command of 2 languages(native and English) and am too lazy to learn any more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:41 am

Your native language is Portuguese? For some reason, I think you're Brazilian.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:56 am

Well, they speak portuguese in Brazil.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 9:56 am

Watching day time drama. Just one though. I sometimes joke that it is part of the reason why i am so good at constructing stories

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 10:13 am

Cockroach96 wrote:

That is not a weird pleasure! That's a fine appreciation of fluid dynamics and instabilities. There is endless aesthetic delight in such phenomena from smoke to steam to milk being poured into coffee or bodies of water with differing density meeting, or countless atmospheric phenomena on this and other worlds...

It's weird that anyone would not take pleasure in these delightful patterns.

ImageImageImage

How could enjoying this lovely complexity be considered weird?

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 11:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your native language is Portuguese? For some reason, I think you're Brazilian.

I wish I was! Being a native speaker of Camões' language must be awesome.
I'm Romanian and I dislike my country. We have gold-plated churches but no money for hospitals or schools. This is outrageous! :x
I've heard that Brazil spends a lot on football and has school manuals from the 80's, but still it's probably a much better country than mine. :cry:

Anyway, I sometimes think in Esperanto or French, as I have some familiarity with them. I also like tying shoelaces into nooses and playing with them(tightening and loosening).
Preoccupying oneself with parts of objects is an aspie trait, and the NTs should stop trying to cure us.

Last edited by Cockroach96 on 07 Oct 2015, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

for some reason i like peeling the skin off garlic, it's really satisfying to do

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Cockroach96 wrote:

That is not a weird pleasure! That's a fine appreciation of fluid dynamics and instabilities. There is endless aesthetic delight in such phenomena from smoke to steam to milk being poured into coffee or bodies of water with differing density meeting, or countless atmospheric phenomena on this and other worlds...

It's weird that anyone would not take pleasure in these delightful patterns.

ImageImageImage

How could enjoying this lovely complexity be considered weird?

Thank you!! ! I didn't even mention any of my fluid appreciations because I guess I don't consider them "weird". Such things *are* classic indicators of being on the spectrum, though. I guess the strangest of mine would be high energy discharges. As a wee lass (maybe 9 or 10 yo?) I hacked together high voltage generators at my grandparents and would hook them up to various vacuum tubes, neon tubes & ancient light bulbs to watch the ethereal streams. I still build them on occasion, but it's so much easier now. In a similar fashion I can watch lightning for hours, and it usually comes with gusting wind. Wind to me is a version of the fluid dynamics appreciation, but one that can be heard & felt (and seen, in the patterns of rain and plant movement). It feels like standing in a strong river. I also used to love melting solder & playing with mercury.

You know, looking back I probably could've used a little more adult supervision...