Do you cry when your depressed?
Yes 52%  52%  [ 23 ]
No 48%  48%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 44

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:19 am

I am asking because I have cried a river for about three weeks, dealing with social isolation and its 1:18 AM and I want to go to sleep but can't cause I have been crying for hours...

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:24 am

I usually only cry when I'm feeling stressed and overwhelmed. If I'm depressed, I'm too tired to cry.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 1:41 am

dcj123 wrote:
I am asking because I have cried a river for about three weeks, dealing with social isolation and its 1:18 AM and I want to go to sleep but can't cause I have been crying for hours...

I feel for you. Social isolation is a horrible feeling. I often cry from social isolation. I remember once I was crying so intensely I thought I was going to be sick from crying so much.

I hope you feel better soon.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2015, 2:07 am

I had to click on "yes" because I have cried due of depression before, but it's not at all my usual response. I believe my depression would have to be caused by an intense feeling of being left out of something before I shed tears. :cry:
I'm more likely to cry out of grief from the loss of a relative or pet, which doesn't equate depression in general for me.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 2:33 am

Still crying, its 2:33 AM here and I would like to sleep, making matters worse is I am beginning to have thoughts of self harm. I am debating on calling the hospital...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 5:57 am

Hey Man.....what are your special interests?

As long as they don't harm anybody or yourself, why not pursue it?

Mine is pretty weird: listening to old baseball games on Youtube. My wife thinks that's crazy. But I don't give a crap. I do it anyway!

Why don't you talk to somebody here about your special interest? Don't get into it right away. Just identify with somebody-says something like "I've experienced this before."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 6:19 am

dcj123 wrote:
Still crying, its 2:33 AM here and I would like to sleep, making matters worse is I am beginning to have thoughts of self harm. I am debating on calling the hospital...

No, PLEASE don't self-harm.
Call the hospital. Perhaps you could talk to somebody professional there.

I know it's hard. I hate depression. But just hang in there (NO pun intended!)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 6:55 am

I go on crying episodes sometimes, usually when I feel like it's all hopeless. I used to self harm when I was frustrated.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 7:07 am

Sometimes when I'm depressed I just want to stay in bed and repeat in my head over and over that everything is pointless*. I think it's impossible to find a reason to cry in that state because it seems pointless.

*Or my mind goes blank, that happens a lot too

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 7:20 am

Yes, I do. I don't like it because I get all congested right away and that leads to a feeling that I can't breathe which can lead to a panic attack very easily, so I try not to cry.. so instead I often become very flat and tend towards staring straight ahead and not talking, or becoming more and more monotone. The more depressed I am, the less likely I am to even try for eye contact, as well. Eyes are the mirrors of the soul and I'm touch-sensitive in every way, including someone else's eyes touching my soul. If that makes sense. Probably doesn't.

I like the question about your/OP's special interest(s). I hope OP returns and replies to that end, and is feeling better, or at least no worse. :heart:

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2015, 8:51 am

Not any more, no.

I probably cried enough for several lifetimes when I was younger though, so I guess that's the explanation to my "dry depression".

As I'm approaching my thirties I seem to handle things a lot better. I "white knuckle it" so to speak.

I'd drink lethal amounts of alcohol in my teenage years and early to mid twenties though, and the drunker I got, the more melodramatic I became. At the end of the night I was a mess of tears and puke. Not a pretty sight!

Been sober for years now though. I stay away from it completely. Coincidentally, I seem to handle things better as a result. If you're a drinker, perhaps that's what's keeping you in a slump. That was the case with me at least.

But what really did wonders was improving my diet. I eat a neo-paleo "primal" kind of diet now and it works wonders for me. I feel great most of the time. Autistic people often have digestive issues, and food intolerances are very individual, so I'd recommend some trial and error, because diet can play a significant role in depression.

No alcohol, strict diet and regular exercise has made sure I handle depressive incidents much better when they arrive. It doesn't get to me the same way it used to. It just "passes by" so to speak.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:05 am

LivingInParentheses wrote:
I like the question about your/OP's special interest(s). I hope OP returns and replies to that end, and is feeling better, or at least no worse. :heart:

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Man.....what are your special interests?

As long as they don't harm anybody or yourself, why not pursue it?

Well I was crying for about 4 hours non stop in the middle of the night so I am kinda tired so excuse any grammatical errors but I am into computers and video games. Lucky that proved to be a distraction this time as I normally have so much free time; my numerous computers are in tip top shape but Windows 10 decided to imploded around 4:30 AM for me. Apparently Windows 10 has a nasty bug where users can become completely corrupt but the solution is to create a another use through command line as the GUI was completely broke. Than log into Linux and copy user data from one user to another. It was a massive pain but I fixed it and I am doing ok I guess, the above got me to stop crying but I am still depressed.

Honestly video games don't have the same appeal they had to me before, I am trying to get into them but I just don't care, I think its because I am depressed. I was posting a bunch in the gamers forum lately but I am not feeling it, I really searching for a hobby to be honest. I have thought about creative writing and drawing but I am bad at both. Normally I am drunk / stoned out of my mind when I get as bad as last night but I was without and can't buy / trade in the middle of the night.

I will inquire though since I don't read things well, what do you mean by as long as my hobbies don't harm anybody or myself? Was that a generic statement to illustrate that you don't want me to engage in harmful behavior or are you insinuating that I am violent? I am confused?

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:29 am

Hi, the question isn't at me but I think the comment abut not harming anyone was generic in nature, meaning that generally speaking one's special interests should not be discouraged no matter who they are, as long as those conditions are met. :)

Sorry if I'm wrong though, don't mean to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong.

Also, I'm wondering if this is an issue with Windows 10 for everyone, because I sure read a lot of problems people are having with it. That's why I didn't use my free upgrade yet. I'm afraid I'll kill this thing.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:39 am

Hi, the question isn't at me but I think the comment abut not harming anyone was generic in nature, meaning that generally speaking one's special interests should not be discouraged no matter who they are, as long as those conditions are met. :)

Sorry if I'm wrong though, don't mean to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong.

Not at all, I appreciate your opinion. These kind of of miscommunications is why I am so depressed to begin with, I can't keep any friends because I am horrible person it seems...

Also, I'm wondering if this is an issue with Windows 10 for everyone, because I sure read a lot of problems people are having with it. That's why I didn't use my free upgrade yet. I'm afraid I'll kill this thing.

I don't want to derail the thread too far but it appears it has to do with not being shutdown properly. I lost power and my Windows 10 was fried from this. It is a common issue but it doesn't appear to happen everytime, if you have a battery backup than I say upgrade but if not, just stay with Windows 7/8 until its settled. The problem is not easy to fix in its entirety, lots and lots of command line and registry edits, not recommended if your not very computer literate. Worse is because its the user folder thats corrupt or to be exact, the NTUSER.DAT file, reinstalling Windows on top of it won't fix the problem unless you reformat and lose all your data.

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

Thanks for the feedback, and agreed not to derail any further. (computers are one of my "things", have an old 2 year degree in web stuff but that was 15 years ago and much has changed).

Thanks again!

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:55 am

No not really. I use to cry when I was a child, but now I am usually very cold and distant in appearance anyway. Oddly never had the urge to self harm since I never really made a connection between it and decreasing emotional strain. Been told that the pain I've lived through would make any weak person break down so that's always refreshing to hear