Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2015, 1:37 pm

So apparently I do not have autism. The report says mild depression, social anxiety, and general anxiety. They said my verbal iq was advanced but my non verbal iq was below average. They said they could not make a diagnosis of NVLD because I scored in a range that was not nvld on some non verbal tests and I scored in the nvld range on some of the other tests so they cannot say. She also said I wanted a diagnosis so some of my answers may have been skewed to get my a diagnosis so she cannot say I have nvld despite having a low non verbal iq. I was diagnosed with ocd awhile back and I do belive I had that. I went and read some reports and it says that people with ocd often have high verbal iq and low non verbal iq and show deficits in non verbal memory, fine motor skills, and again a low non verbal iq with a high verbal iq. I did want a diagnosis but I assure you I did not skew my answers. I have had problems with motor skills my whole life and understanding spatial relationships so naturally I thought nvld. But maybe it is just ocd? What do you guys think?

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 1:49 pm

Id get a second opinion, her analysis was biased by her assumption that because you 'wanted' a diagnoses you'd skew your answers. Though it certainly could just be OCD as well as general and social anxiety...but getting a less biased second opinion could be a good idea.

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2015, 2:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Id get a second opinion, her analysis was biased by her assumption that because you 'wanted' a diagnoses you'd skew your answers. Though it certainly could just be OCD as well as general and social anxiety...but getting a less biased second opinion could be a good idea.

I agree there was a bias but at the same time I did score in the normal range on some of the non verbal tests which would be odd with nvld so maybe it is just ocd. I definitely have social problems but to say I can't read facial expressions and stuff would be false. There is no way in hell that my parents will take me to get a second opinion as they will think I am just forcing a diagnosis. I think I am going to have to be content with ocd. Maybe I will get a nvld diagnosis but they said they want to make my mental state more stable before they do more tests and I honestly doubt I will ever do more tests as the insurance won't pay for anymore and the school definitely does not want to but that's not confirmed. I am leaning towards just ocd with anxiety as the other diagnosis just don't really fit completely.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 3:27 pm

brandonb1312 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I agree there was a bias but at the same time I did score in the normal range on some of the non verbal tests which would be odd with nvld so maybe it is just ocd. I definitely have social problems but to say I can't read facial expressions and stuff would be false. There is no way in hell that my parents will take me to get a second opinion as they will think I am just forcing a diagnosis. I think I am going to have to be content with ocd. Maybe I will get a nvld diagnosis but they said they want to make my mental state more stable before they do more tests and I honestly doubt I will ever do more tests as the insurance won't pay for anymore and the school definitely does not want to but that's not confirmed. I am leaning towards just ocd with anxiety as the other diagnosis just don't really fit completely.

I agree with Sweetleaf. This business of you "wanting" a diagnosis and "skewing" the results sounds weird to me. It sounds like she was trying to make you feel guilty somehow.

I'm suspicious whenever anyone comes back with a pile of diagnoses anyway. If you're anxious and depressed, the question is then, WHY are you anxious and depressed? Then you look toward the other diagnoses. Social anxiety plus NVLD and OCD equals autism if you ask me. That's like saying that an animal with wings and feathers is not a bird. Okay, TECHNICALLY it might be a dinosaur, but come on. You see where I'm going with this?

However, whatever you're officially diagnosed with doesn't make a lot of difference. The purpose behind an official diagnosis is that you can get ADA accommodations at work and at school. You can now get all the exact same accommodations with the diagnoses this lady gave you. If you're having a problem with group work, boom, there's the social anxiety diagnosis, so you can get adjustments for that. The NVLD and OCD can let you have written instructions or whatever you need.

However you self-identify is your own business. If it feels more correct to say you're on the spectrum, your online tests diagnosed you, so go with that. If you want to go with the other stuff you could do that. My point is that YOU are the expert on "what" you are.