Does anyone in your family have autism?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2015, 2:12 pm

Unless you're here for solely that reason. To be more specific, are you the only one in your family with autism? How well do they understand you?
My brother has low functioning autism (non verbal, can't do most things). My dad, as far as anyone is concerned, is neurotypical. He has a lot of aspie traits, and it makes me think he is otherwise.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:14 pm

Most of my immediate family is Aspie-ish, though it shows most in me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:28 pm

Everyone is NT in my family. One of my cousins had learning difficulties, but she was always more able to mix than me, and was well-behaved at home, unlike me.

Apparently 2 distant relatives of mine have Asperger's or ADHD, but nobody has low-functioning Autism.

Nobody has any other low-functioning disorder either, or anything that makes them non-NT.

There was something else I was going to say but can't remember what it was, I will probably remember as soon as I press submit.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:33 pm

I have had suspicions that my sister is an Aspie.

Reasons:
She hates her BFF who she has known since their HS years.

She hates the male gender.

She believes that ASDs were created by the government, therefore she is also an "Autism Denier."

She often speaks in a very cold manner, as if being rude is her right.

She takes pride in being antisocial, although whenever we have visitors at my home, she often forces me to be social even though she knows that I don't want to.

If she is an Aspie, she will likely blame her being an Aspie on me, as if I'm the only Aspie in the world.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:43 pm

I have a lot of relatives with autism (diagnosed, not just speculating). It's the full range of severities and functioning levels too.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

I don't know. There's only me and my daughter. There are suspicions about her having ASD but nothing has been confirmed.

Never really got chance to meet my mother and dad's dead. I have two brothers but again never got chance to meet them.

But then there is the step family and I've not seen them in many years. All I can say about them is that they were a very odd bunch of people.

Peculiar personified, in my unprofessional and humble opinion.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 2:53 pm

I don't think anyone in my family is a full-blown aspie. I usually say each of my parents are half an aspie, because neither of them have enough of the traits, but the ones they do have are so strong that it's easy to see where I've got them from.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2015, 3:02 pm

Lots of autism in my family but oddly, we don't necessarily seem to "get" one another. The thing is, dealing with a person with autism and is perhaps doing things that trigger your own sensitivities (vocal stims, meltdowns, etc.) can be doubly difficult. Plus there's the factor of ASD "presenting" differently from person to person. For example, I was very sensitive to and patient with two of my children's speech delays but couldn't actually relate, nor "help" them to speak better than say the next person might be able to, because with me, it's the opposite - hyperlexia.

My middle son and I have clashed a lot and done a lot of stepping around to come to compromises and solutions due to the fact that he vocally stims like crazy, and auditory stuff drives me CRAZY.

I do know that once I made my own personal association with HFA I was able to understand my ASD son's motivations and so on much better. So there's definitely that.

Other than me, two of my sons, most likely my first son as well (I have three children), *possibly* my husband, and my two cousin's children (different sides of the family - one child each) are all ASD. Possibly my father but that's in retrospect. We also have other neurological stuff such as ADHD.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 3:06 pm

i do not have a family so i suppose the answer is "no"

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2015, 3:10 pm

I'm the only one, although my dad, and my grandfather and uncle on my mum's side all show some autistic-like traits, so I may have got contributing genes from both sides of the family.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 3:24 pm

My son has an ASD and my daughter has an ASD but it's complicated for her as she also has an intellectual disability because of a neuro toxic metabolic condition, Both my brother and my sister struggle with social situations and my sister has major anxiety, my Father Also has anxiety and is awkward in social situations and stims a lot, his brother has Autism.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 4:02 pm

My 2nd brother's youngest son is an Aspie as well as my youngest brother's daughter. My mom has told me recently that she is pretty sure that she is as well, which makes a lot of sense. If my mom is then so is her brother and her dad (my grandpa). So it seems we have a full house of Aspies.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 4:42 pm

Am I the only one here that comes from an all NT family?

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 7:12 pm

Two of my cousins are diagnosed with autism (daughter and grandson of my dad's brother). I didn't know this until I told everybody about my diagnosis because my dad and his brother were estranged and we rarely saw them. My uncle and his wife both thought that Dad and his father had Asperger's as well, but I think he died before the cousins were diagnosed.

One of Dad's "special interests" was genealogy, and he did a lot of work researching his family. Going back up his family tree were a LOT of stories of ancestors that did not get along well with other people or were just a bit strange. Grandpa was an English teacher with a photographic memory and could quote you any page of a book he had read, years later, unless he didn't enjoy it. All you had to say was, As You Like It, Scene 2, or ask what's on page 34 of his edition of Paradise Lost, and he could feed you the lines. My uncle had a photographic memory too and did computer work for NASA and IBM, although his wife didn't think he had autism because he was outgoing and sociable. My great-grandfather got into a feud so bad with a neighbor that he burned great-granddad's store to the ground. My great-great-great-grandfather was sent to the back of the lines by his captain in the Civil War. The captain went back to sort him out later, and ggg-grandfather shot him and deserted. He eventually was brought up on murder charges but exonerated on self-defense somehow (apparently he didn't get along well with people but was also very good at talking his way out of legal problems). He spent the rest of his life getting into quarrels with neighbors, suing them, and one time, stabbing somebody.

My mom thinks she's slightly ASD now, and thinks that maybe a couple of my nephews are too. We're debating how (or whether) to tell them.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 8:03 pm

my family isn't neurotypical, there's a long history of mental illness, especially on my mom's side, but no one that i know of is diagnosed with autism. i'm not sure if i have autism either, since i'm kind of unofficially diagnosed, and the fact that there aren't any other aspies in my family is another reason that i might have some mental disorder other than autism.

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 8:39 pm

I'm one of six kids. We lost contact with my father's entire side of the family when I was young, after my dad died. Growing up I didn't ever hear of anyone being autistic in my family (which includes my mom's side of the extended family).

But when I was around 40 I reconnected to my dad's side of the family and found out that I have cousins whose children, or whose children's children, have been diagnosed with Asperger's or autism or PDD-NOS (which all would fall under ASDs nowadays). I was the fifth person diagnosed within my extended family that I know of.

Now that I know so much more about it I think it's safe to say that at least one if not multiple of my siblings may well be on the spectrum as well. Everyone is a techy hermit with varying lacks of social skills and no relationships to speak of despite being 50+ years old.

Going to a family reunion was a funny venture - I was scared at first that I would appear strange, needing to remove myself to a quiet spot to decompress. I arrived and was immediately shown the main room, kitchen, and "the quiet room" designated as such because about 40% of my extended family on my dad's side is "like me" in some way, shape, or form! We all sat quietly ignoring one another to text each other instead while sitting across the room from each other after flying or driving hundreds of miles to be together. And it was grand! :lol: :lol: