Why do people think it is perfectly acceptable to say that

Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 10:29 pm

I hate math because I don't understand it. It is not my first language, or even my second language, but rather it is a foreign language I speak haltingly and with a very strong accent. I am not a native mathematician. I use math as a tool, not as something I spend hours studying. It is a tool I utilize when all other means of solving the problem have exhausted themselves. So when someone says they are minoring/majoring in math, I say "That's cool. I personally hate math and view it as something akin to a job performed with a gun to my head."

People say the same thing to me when I tell them I am studying economics. It doesn't bother me because even I think economics as taught in schools is boring, but it has the potential to be very interesting if you approach it differently, and without such a counterintuitive mathematics approach. But that is just me.

People enjoy what they are good at, and tend to avoid what they aren't good at, and they also tend to belittle things that can't/don't understand---which is why they say "Oh, that's boring." or "I hate math."

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 10:45 pm

There are a lot of things that people simply cannot know or understand if they don't understand math.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 10:56 pm

But understanding something and enjoying something are not the same thing. I understand math concepts. I love to read about quantum mechanics and probability theory---and I am working on gaining a better grasp of probability maths---but I transpose numbers and things get all crazy mixed up in my head when I go to solve equations, which makes the whole math class an less-than-enjoyable experience.

Math is one of the reasons I enjoy classical music so much. Music is essentially the quantification of sound, and masters of that language make beautiful music.

But I intensely dislike math classes, and I think that a lot of people would enjoy math more if they weren't required to perform maths without understanding the relationship expressed in an equation, but if they are very comfortable with the theory being defined by math, then they understand it and appreciate it more. But that is just opinion.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2007, 11:02 pm

Remember the barbie doll years ago that said "Math is Hard!"

Yuck

I like math, but most people are afraid of what they don't know or don't understand. I can't stand crosswords, I love Suduko (sp:?)

Hopefully with better education and new games, perceptions may change.

math rules!

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 2:35 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:
Indeed, maths sucks. Too structured, ordered and rigid. Black and white, only one answer is acceptable. No room for creativity or exploration, just a sequence of monotonous steps. Reminds me of AS...

You obviously haven't been exposed to higher level math. I prefered math when it was like the way you described it. It doesn't stay that way. I have a natural talent for some math but I had a terrible high school math teacher. I only kind of understand higher math but that class destroyed my confidence and I have never been able to get interested in it again. :cry:

No, no I have. Finished Year 12 and chose the harder maths as one of my units. Next semester we're doing statistical methods at Uni. What features of higher level maths aren't I aware of that make it good?

I never said that it gets good. It just doesn't always stay as black and white with only one answer. There are some equations with multiple answers and that muddles things up. There are some problems where you even have to find the equation itself. I'm not sure what these are called any more, it's been a couple of years.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 2:50 am

My brain is horrible with numbers but I love the aesthetics of maths (or the maths of aesthetics?) - Fibonacci numbers, Golden Section, fractals etc. I see so many forms and patterns in nature that are so beautiful and I know there's amazing maths in there. I just can't quite get my head round it!

RaoulDuke
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2007, 3:14 am

JakeG wrote:
Why do people think it is perfectly acceptable to say that they hate mathematics/find it boring?

This question has bothered me for a while for a couple of different reasons:

Sometimes people have asked me what I do or what I am interested in and when I say mathematics, the answer is monotonously likely to be either 'Oh math; that's so boring', 'Math? I hate it' or 'Oh I hate numbers'

Why does this seem to be a completely reasonable and socially acceptable thing to say rather than something that people would view as ignorant and intolerant? If someone were to say that they were interested in drawing, painting or music etc. people would say 'ah, how creative' or 'that sounds interesting' even if they didn't happen to have interests in those directions themselves whereas with maths, there is no stigma attached in ridiculing people or negating their genuine interest.

The thing that often annoys me the most is that most of the people who are so happy to say that they hate math or find it boring generally don't actually know what math actually is and haven't made any real effort to find out. They don't seem to realise that the so called 'math' you learn at high school is the literary equivalent to spelling tests or tables of grammar and doesn't really give any insight into what math is about and how interesting, exciting and creative it can be. With only that experience to base a judgement of 'boring' on; it is equivalent to saying a book you haven't read is boring because you remember you found learning the alphabet boring in school. I consider myself a fairly creative person and in fact, that is one of the main reasons I am drawn to math because it allows me to use and develop my imagination. Invention and creativity in math is often so far removed from 'the real world' that it requires real imagination not just to invent and create but also (in many cases) to understand and interpret. To me, someone saying that they find something boring or uninteresting when they really have no knowledge about it just comes across as being completely vacuous and asinine. If I come across something that I find boring or uninteresting, I prefer to see this as a deficiency within myself rather than the subject matter itself and endeavour to find out what interests people in the subject and challenge myself to discover its redeeming features. If all else fails, even if I am unable to interest myself in something, I would still not attack it but rather just put it down to a matter of taste and say that although I accept its value, it is just not my kind of thing. I wouldn't be so presumptuous and self-important to call something boring on the basis that I didn't like it.

One of the worst factors of this disease of math-hate is that I even find that people on my degree course have similar attitudes and ridicule me for my interest and enjoyment of the subject. Unfortunately in some ways, they have naively been led to believe that by getting a math degree they will then be able to get any job they like with ease and henceforth are willing to study a subject that they don't really like or try to maintain an interest in for three/four years.

I am not naive enough to expect everyone else to follow the same interests as me (although it would be nicer if more did) but all I really want is for people to be more tolerant and understanding and not think it ok to negate something which is important to me/other people. People don't understand that when they say something like that, I go right off them straight away and nowadays will tend to push the matter with them and take them to task for what I see as an overly negative and unfair way to speak to someone and then they think that I am the bad guy for doing this.

I am sure that much of this stuff must apply to others with different academic/niche interests as well.

I DO hate math. I'm simply not inclined towards it. It isn't enjoyable.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 3:53 am

maybe its just their reply. "what r u interested in?" "x" "oh, i like x too" or "oh i hate x" etc. whats it matter if its math or what?
"what is ur fav show?" "the simpsons" "oh i hate cartoons"

Kanga
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2007, 4:33 am

Dyscalculia.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 4:39 am

Maybe I'm just a damaged, bitter, untrusting individual, but people LOVE ignorance. It's a safe and secure blanket for them to hide under. Duck their heads into the sand. Sound familiar? Ignorance is bliss?

damnit, I don't belong here... I'm just an antisocial jerk.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2007, 4:40 am

I camn understand your anger, I get mad when I mention I like Pokemon and prople either laugh or sing the cartoon theme tune at me (I mainly play the games!! !) or say it's a kid's thing. No-one likes their interest being ridiculed or belittled.

I had a really hard time with math all thtroigh school and used to say I hadted math. Funny enough, I've gotton better at sworking things out in my head (mauinly addition) so I don#t 2haste" it as much.

I wonder why it improved once I LEFT education??? Maybe because then I could learn it in my own way at my own pace in a way I could understand? Anyone else get this???

JulieArticuno

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2007, 5:26 am

Accepting another persons opinion on your interest(s) is hard to accept especially if they attach stigma or bias towards it.
I can't understand why people aren't interested in the subjects I have and had interests in, I certainly can't accept opinions that have no intelligent meaning or show embarrasment if they are seen to interact with my interests.
The very thought of having an interest that is regarded in the NT world as not normal or boring/odd is very hard to understand and accept. What seems odd is that many people seem to share the same opinions on a one given subject, it would be ok if their opinion was of a positive nature but it seems many of my interests with buses/aircraft/physics have had a negative effect.
What drives NT's to all act the same?
Why do they ignore logical opinions and choose to accept those that their peers choose?

I don't want to upset you further but I don't have any common interest in Mathematics, when I apply my mathematic skills in physics then I immediatly show some interests in mathematics becuase it turns numbers turn to logic.
Mathematic is logical and essential but boring is a word that expains their ignorance towards it, just as turning your back on physics signifies ingnorance towards the very creation of life and yourself.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:33 am

Kanga wrote:
Dyscalculia.

google wrote:
Learning disability (Math Dyslexia)

lol such a thing exists??

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:34 am

Most certainly.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:36 am

JulieArticuno wrote:
I had a really hard time with math all thtroigh school and used to say I hadted math. Funny enough, I've gotton better at sworking things out in my head (mauinly addition) so I don#t 2haste" it as much.

I wonder why it improved once I LEFT education??? Maybe because then I could learn it in my own way at my own pace in a way I could understand? Anyone else get this???

JulieArticuno

I got this once I left school, I'm still in education though but history, not maths. You're probably right about being able to learn in your own way, ever since I was 5 I've been taught maths in ways which didn't make sense to me, I always understood it in different ways. It might also be down to whether or not you liked school, I hated school so consequently I didn't do as well as I should have done apart from in the one subject where my teacher actually understood my problems

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:07 am

I like most maths but am one of those people who just say whatever comes to mind and had often been heard when I was younger to say that something was boring. I have learned that it is better to say something like: that subject doesn't interest me right now.