Who are the mommies and daddies on the board?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Your family dynamics
My child/ren have Aspergers 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
I have/suspect to have Aspergers 55%  55%  [ 12 ]
both 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
other 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2007, 2:26 pm

I'd like to get to know the other parents on the board. Tell me about you family. Anything you want.

I'm a suspected aspie and have two little girls, ages 6 and 20 months.

I've also been married for 7 1/2 years to my husband, Chaim.

Nice to meet everyone! :)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:40 pm

I have Aspergers and my 6 year old son has Autism and my almost 4 year old son is classified as "Gifted".

Chimaera1618
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2007, 2:50 pm

Hi I'm an aspie with a 14 month old little girl. Not sure if she's aspie, but she's very advanced for her age, much like I was. :)

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:31 pm

My son is autistic, I suspect I'm Aspie and I think my husband is somewhere on the spectrum. he tests for Aspie but had developmental delays.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:34 pm

I'm a diagnosed aspie with two kids: one aspie and one PDD-NOS.

threesnugbugs
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2007, 11:04 pm

Parent of a ds with AS. Starting to suspect myself of having AS too. Funny thing was that I thought for sure my husband has exhibited traits since our second year of marriage. Now, I realize it is me, not him that is more AS. I have stopped looking and analyzing myself right now because I just don't want to know anymore for awhile. I am concentrating on my son, I just don't want him to struggle so much and get so hurt.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm

Self diagnosed AS, son HFA, an NT daughter, two daughters I'm not sure about, fairly certain my 19 month old is HFA. She is nonverbal and makes no eye contact.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2007, 12:18 am

I have a 12 yr old NT daughter that has a great group of friends and socializes very easily, luckily for her. I'm an aspie and was married for almost 12 yrs, together for 14 only to realize after THAT LONG that he was abusive and bad for me...

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 12:47 am

Hi Nellie

Me: 47 y.o. - I have good days when I'm not sure if I have AS and I have (more frequently) other days I know I do (self Dx).

2 sons 14 & 16 y.o.

14 y.o. has traits but he is confident and comfortable socially (at least I think/hope he is). I have to remember to hug him because he won't hug me first. I think any traits I see in 16 y.o. he is just copying from me (environment not genetic). 16 y.o. was the one who noticed I don't hug much so he decided he was going to hug me whether I liked it or not - lol.

Wife: I think may have some social avoidance tendancies, but not AS. Incidently, she used to work for the USN (civillian) in their office here. I liked the US Navy people.

Welcome to WP.

Last edited by BazzaMcKenzie on 13 Apr 2007, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 12:47 am

threesnugbugs wrote:
I have stopped looking and analyzing myself right now because I just don't want to know anymore for awhile. I am concentrating on my son, I just don't want him to struggle so much and get so hurt.

May I gently suggest that the more you understand your own spectrum issues, the better able you might be to understand your son's?

I am a diagnosed aspie with two NT teenage daughters, both of whom have plenty of shadow traits. They got social skills apparently from their Dad, who is gifted socially (which is why I married him :) ).

threesnugbugs
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2007, 2:03 am

aylissa wrote:
threesnugbugs wrote:
I have stopped looking and analyzing myself right now because I just don't want to know anymore for awhile. I am concentrating on my son, I just don't want him to struggle so much and get so hurt.

May I gently suggest that the more you understand your own spectrum issues, the better able you might be to understand your son's?

I am a diagnosed aspie with two NT teenage daughters, both of whom have plenty of shadow traits. They got social skills apparently from their Dad, who is gifted socially (which is why I married him :) ).

:D It was for the opposite reason I have stopped looking. I have this incredible bond with my DS, and I understand him far too well. I have anticipated his every move and reaction since he was young and I know it is because we are exactly alike. We think in the same way. That combined with the fact that I am an elementary teacher has given my son help without struggle. I stopped looking at myself, because I don't want to go down the road of confusion and unpleasant school years and re-live that and project that to my son. I am putting up all the emotional blocks of my past right now because I can't fall apart if that makes sense. I need to be strong and supportive and make the right choices with my son right now. I know all of my struggles, strengths and weakness and have always been very self aware. It is the emotions that surround my childhood that I don't want anywhere near and I am afraid that since I have always felt very emotional with my children, that if I let that flood gate open, I could never recover. The funny thing is, my children are the only ones I have been open emotionally. I am cold to everyone else in my extended family.

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2007, 9:25 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I was worried I wasn’t going to get any but I am happy because there are other parents on this board as well that I can relate to. (Not to mention I like to talk about my kids a lot and people without kids find that boring :wink: ) I posted a similar thread on the social anxiety forum but I soon found out that I don't really fit in there. It is scary how much I fit it here.

threesnugbugs,
I have been analyzing myself lately but have realized that it is hard to spend too much time doing this because I don't want to take away from my children's time and I am also a full time student.
My husband works full time and goes to school part time so we are insanely busy. This recent revelation on my part has only added more stress to me and I am scared that I will cause too many ripples in are family routine (which isn't much of a routine because we are just getting by).
The only reason I would want to get a DX is because it would help me relate to my family more and function better at running a home along with my husband.

BazzaMcKenzie,
funny you should mention it. My little girl is always hugging me and it throws me off at times because I am not an affectionate person (even though I would like to be). I have to remind myself to just give her a hug and/or kiss and not push her away unconsciously. I think I tend to appear a little cold and distant compared to my husband and I don't want her to grow up thinking that of me.
I was in the Navy for 8 1/2 years, BTW. I learned most of my social skills there but I never fit in with anyone else there. I do miss some of it. One part of me hated being told what to do and the other part of me needed the routine it provided. (I loved the uniforms) (Sorry I got off of the subject)

aylissa,
My DH is socially gifted as well. I have learned a lot from him and my daughter takes after him as well. She has lots of friends and is always the leader in her group. My little one is a little shy but she imitates her sister. I am pretty sure both of them are NT. The little one is strangely like me though. She doesn't seem to exhibit any repetitive behavior but she does play alone at school and isn't very verbal except at home. Then again her sister wasn’t verbal but now talks 24-7. They both seem very normal.

I agree with understanding where you fit in the spectrum because understanding yourself takes away the nagging stress of "am I am, am I not?" and helps you focus on the important things: Your kids.
Its' a bit much for me right now though. I don't know if I can even afford to go to a therapist and accept a DX and treatment right now. I do need to do it. I think that it will help me in all aspects of life.

Sorry for the long post.

PS: Is there a section for the Aspergers adults with children?