19 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

Eating copious amounts of junk food appears to be my new obsession. :(

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

Rudin wrote:
Misery wrote:
Gaming is my main one and what I spend the most time doing, by far.

And there is also this now:

Bloody amazing just how many different ones there are out there.... I havent even come close to merely scratching the surface of these. I've now solved all of the ones in that picture at least once (usually more than once, some a great many times) except that big white cube in the back, which is partially solved in the picture.

The two in the middle that look like a horrible tangled mess look like perfect cubes when solved. The one on the far left also changes shape kinda like those do, though the other pyramid does not.

I have a whole bunch more ordered and coming in the mail soon. Most of which will be harder than the ones in this group. Probably.

I have alot of fun with these.

And if anyone is wondering just what the anime is in that box on the left there, it's a series called "Control", which looks bizarre and at least mildly freaky. I havent gotten around to watching it yet... I'll get to it eventually.

I like twisty puzzles as well. If you'd like to discuss them with me, please feel free to personal message me and we can talk about twisty puzzles.

Maths is my special interest. It's been that way for over 3 years now. It is actually my longest running special interest, I think I'll never not like maths. Maths is so fascinating. I can't pinpoint exactly why I like it but my therapist thinks it might be because of my autism. He reckons I find numbers and equations easier to read then people.

Sure, I'm up for a conversation about those. Nobody I know cares about those sorts of things at all.... just the typical reaction of "ZOMG you can solve a Rubik's Cube? HOLY SNORKELS that's amazing!! !! !!111" and other eye-roll inducing comments. Show them a higher-order cube or something like a Megaminx, or worse, the exploded mess of an unsolved windmill cube, and they just burst or something.

And I see a couple of people in here mentioning math... ho boy, I'm never gonna get that one. Give me even just a simple division problem and all you'll get is a blank stare. Just cant do it at all, never could. I've seen more than a few people on this forum that are really into it though.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2015, 12:54 pm

I can't get enough of it. Unfortunately I am in 3 classes right now, and although math is my favourite, I have to spend the least amount of time on it, because it is the easiest for me.

watson503
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2015, 1:08 pm

TheAP wrote:
My current special interests are forums, disabilities, learning about how people interact and behave, and Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Choose Your Own Adventure books! I loved those as a kid, my mom ran the children's section of a bookstore at the time they first were published and I had a great collection of them.

My current obsession - guitars - and music.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2015, 1:09 pm

Science, especially, but not exclusively, research focused on understanding human mentality, neurology and behaviour. I'm on phys.org several hours a day, whenever I'm not reading a book about cognitive psychology, neuroanthropology, mental health, neuroscience, or history. Along with others too numerous to list, Daniel Kahneman, Wray Herbert, Cordelia Fine, George Lakoff, and Nicholas Christakis have turned my own mental world upside down and inside out - and I'm grateful for it.

Science fiction, which is a lifetime love I'll probably never give up. I fell "in love with" Isaac Asimov when I was 10 years old. Now, among many others, I have a fascination with the work of Cixin Liu. CJ Cherryh is another favorite, but really, there are just too many to list.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 1:11 pm

tig welding aluminum, mold making and casting, melting crayons into sculptures of fungal fruiting bodies and slime molds, and hypothesizing about playgrounds 8O

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2015, 1:23 pm

Misery wrote:
And there is also this now: Image

8O

*want*

The Powerpuff Girls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2015, 4:23 pm

PorridgeGuy wrote:
How long do your obsessions usually last and how intense are they?

They usually last a few months or more. The intensity depends on how much I like whatever I'm obsessed with. Like the Powerpuff Girls are probably the most extreme I've had so far. I've probably spent $1,000 so far on merchandise and gaining quite a bit of stuff. I haven't a lot of money, or I would buy more stuff. Living with my parents who give you a hard time about money and get scrutiny when they see you receive a lot of packages in the mail is another.

Sylfa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2015, 4:26 pm

The seven deadly sins anime.
I binge watched it two nights ago and it completely obliterated my obsession with Final Fantasy xIV

donaar
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2015, 4:32 pm

currently im obsessed with smashbros

Aq: 37

PorridgeGuy

19 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

TheAP wrote:
My obsessions usually last several years--the ones I listed above have been around for between four and nine years. They don't make me skip sleeping and eating or keep me from participating in any activities, usually. The most they do is distract me from my homework.

The Powerpuff Girls wrote:
They usually last a few months or more. The intensity depends on how much I like whatever I'm obsessed with. Like the Powerpuff Girls are probably the most extreme I've had so far. I've probably spent $1,000 so far on merchandise and gaining quite a bit of stuff. I haven't a lot of money, or I would buy more stuff. Living with my parents who give you a hard time about money and get scrutiny when they see you receive a lot of packages in the mail is another.

It's interesting to see how varied in duration, topic and intensity special interests are. Sometimes when I read about AS special interests are presented as some sort of problem, but it seems to me that is often not the case. Though, I do hope you do not spend more money than you have The Powerpuff Girls. But from your quote it seems you stopped buying while waiting for more income. In which case I think what you spend money on is no ones business. I feel lucky that my work coincide with my interest. In my previous job I was kind of unhappy because my spare time wasn't enough to both pursue my interest and spending enough time with my girlfriend to make her happy (I chose the latter).

As for me I try to avoid accumulating things. I think it is difficult to throw away stuff and if I buy more than I get rid off it accumulates (continuity equation) which means there are more things to tidy up. I like order (not compulsively), but I do not like to clean. I also think very thoroughly about what I spend my time on and the way I see it all things I own I must spend time on, at least it will take a few hundred milliseconds each time a need to lift it up to wipe dust under it. Each object in itself is not a problem but the multitude is. For this reason I have a big project right no making sure I only own stuff I need, and making it as efficient as possible, so I can spend my time on what makes me happy, yet not having to look at a mess.

I may very well find other peoples collections fascinating, though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

Finding myself proper employment.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2015, 5:32 pm

Autism is my current obsession.

It's gotten to the point were just hearing the word makes my "mind" feel sick. I can't describe it. It always happens when I get too obsessed with things.

PorridgeGuy

19 Nov 2015, 5:49 pm

xile123 wrote:
Autism is my current obsession.

It's gotten to the point were just hearing the word makes my "mind" feel sick. I can't describe it. It always happens when I get too obsessed with things.

Well this actually sounds a bit unhealthy to you. Thinking about mental conditions (although not disability) too much probably is not healthy either? Parhaps you could channel it into something less worrysome that feels productive?

spatialthinker93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2015, 5:51 pm

My current obsessions are; Structures/logical systems and enhancing my ability to focus for longer periods of time. I also make music and play guitar, but lately it has become more of an part time interest than obsession, but I would still call it an obsession since I play/write on nearly a daily basis and have done for 7 years(with a few weeks exception).

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 9:03 pm

Varelse wrote:
Misery wrote:
And there is also this now: Image

8O

*want*

I can link you to the stores I got these from, if you'd like.

There's TONS of these things.