Does being left wing go hand in hand with Asperger's?

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 12:30 am

marshall wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
marshall wrote:
Right wing people would prefer people who have a disability or health issue and little money suffer immensely or kill themselves. I don't see why anyone on the spectrum would be right wing. I don't see how anyone with compassion could be right wing.

Could it be there's a connection between people who don't value compassion and people who have conservative values? hrmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I don't quite understand. They claim to be compassionate but put their fingers in their ears and shout LALALALALA when you point out how much suffering their world view causes. They've never been the victim of the private healthcare vulture capitalists that literally kill people. They're just counting on being lucky. I pray they get cancer.

I don't understand it either. I think a lot of it is based on a misunderstanding of evolutionary biology--simple-minded people think selfishness is wise on an animalistic level because they don't understand the difference between a lone predator in the wild fending for themselves and a social species that lives in groups and therefore requires it's members to have consideration for one another as part of the functioning of that group. They think it is smart for people to live (philosophically, at least) like jungle cats or something, rather than the social species that we are that rely on each other for survival. It's a kind of ignorance.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 12:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:

Just like anything else, they do not depend upon your belief to exist. They are something granted by people to other people based on the various group-identifying attributes perceived. For instance, in some parts of the country if a bunch of people are standing at a deli counter waiting to order and everyone - including the order taker - is of the same race except one person, it's likely that one person could be skipped over a few times. That is race privilege being granted to all the other people who wish to order.

That is about one person bieng treated unfairly by a bigot and everybody else bieng treated as they should be treated. Another way of saying it is more about one person have something taken away.

I'm talking about when none of the other people waiting say, "you were here first"; that sort of thing. Instead it is understood by all of them that the person's very presence is at best being tolerated.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 1:32 am

wilburforce wrote:
I don't understand it either. I think a lot of it is based on a misunderstanding of evolutionary biology--simple-minded people think selfishness is wise on an animalistic level because they don't understand the difference between a lone predator in the wild fending for themselves and a social species that lives in groups and therefore requires it's members to have consideration for one another as part of the functioning of that group. They think it is smart for people to live (philosophically, at least) like jungle cats or something, rather than the social species that we are that rely on each other for survival. It's a kind of ignorance.

That or they think voluntary charity works. It really doesn't work very well. Some know it doesn't work but don't care. Being able to keep their money is more important than people literally dying or suffering immensely. They're usually privileged and live in a bubble insulated from illness or suffering. They haven't been f****d over completely. They haven't experienced mental or physical suffering to the degree they are close to killing themselves. They're just lucky and insulated. They also have a big ego usually and think they are "self made" when they really aren't. Nobody is "self made" unless they go out and live off the land. To be "self made" you have to cut yourself off from society completely. That's the only way to avoid anyone helping you ever.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 3:05 am

Nobody is self-reliant. We all rely on others. Those others might be family, friends, government agencies, teachers or doctors. The idea that it's even possible to be some self-made objectivist ubermensch is childish. We all benefit from handouts whether explicit or implicit. Roads, schools, parental care, welfare, pensions, tax credits. There is such a thing as society.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 3:14 am

luan78zao wrote:
Although I wouldn't have been able to express it, even as a kid I thought that all interactions among adults should be voluntary. That people in groups don't acquire rights they lacked as individuals. That no individual or group ought to be sacrificed in the name of some alleged "greater good."

So … no.

^This.

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2015, 5:40 am

Hi, I am communist and monotheist. Also an engineer. However random it might seems my view on god is that of einsteins.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:28 am

luan78zao wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Basically you don't understand left wing politics.

Thank you. That's the nicest compliment I've ever received here. 8)

After a degree in history, travel, life experience, personal acquaintance with survivors of Stalin, Mao, and Kim, etc etc, I certainly understand the practice. And I can't listen to a politician speaking without being exposed to the theory. What I've never understood is the emotional appeal. Guess I've never had the urge to boss people around.

You really don't understand... Stalin and Mao were extremists and are in no way representative of liberals or the left. The left is more willing that the right to defend the rights of peoples and minority, not sacrificing them in the name of "greater good"; libertarians been there with the right, as they give more importance to so-called "economic freedom" that any individual rights issues (Except for gun rights, which they rise as a divine right.), like approving the Pinochet regime in Chile. For libertarians dictatorship is fine as long the private industry can deny worker rights and that the wealthy don't pay tax. The right will cry as much as they want about how taxation go against their rights, nothing will change the true that any nation able to guarantee the rights of it's citizens need taxation and the mathematical true that without wealth redistribution a too large part of the money will fall in the hands of a wealthy few as soon as money exchange is done; exchange been the whole point of money.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:40 am

Fnord wrote:
I do not believe in "Black Priviledge", "Female Priviledge", "Male Priviledge", "White Priviledge" or any other "Priviledge" that is based on a person's culture, disability, ethnicity, gender orientation, religion, sex, or skin color.

I believe that people should take responsibility for their own lives, and stop blaming their own stupid mistakes on their parents, their teachers, their bosses, the police, the legal system, and society in general.

I believe that people should be held accountable for their own words and actions, and not use their culture, disability, ethnicity, gender orientation, religion, sex, or skin color as an excuse for causing trouble or terrorizing others.

Nope! Still not a liberal!

:lol:

This and your first post Fnord is kinda offensive , I agree with what you are saying to a degree and I do agree that personal responsibility is important but lumping disability in those categories I don't agree with. I would be homeless if I didn't draw disability and probably dead. Some people have legitimate problems working due to disabilities and need some extra help. Its fair cause when I worked I paid into social security, would you expect someone in a wheelchair to be able to walk up stairs or someone without arms to steer a car? Or are they using their disability as an excuse?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

marshall wrote:
Right wing people would prefer people who have a disability or health issue and little money suffer immensely or kill themselves. I don't see why anyone on the spectrum would be right wing. I don't see how anyone with compassion could be right wing.
No, most of us would rather see people in real need get help locally, from family, friends, and religious institutions (that's why we put money in the collection plates, right?). We would rather not be taxed to support able-bodied people whose alleged needs are the direct result of their own lack of initiative in schools and workplaces - dropouts and bums are a drain on society, sucking up resources that real needy people deserve instead.

I don't mean to be offensive. I have been homeless, so I know exactly what it is like from first-hand experience. The difference being that I was determined to not remain homeless, but to become a home-owning citizen. It helped that I did not know then about having an ASD, and how it is supposed to have made me unemployable. Instead, I took every job offer that came my way, no matter how menial.

Did you ever de-tassle cornstalks while hanging off the side of a moving farm trailer in the hot sun for ten hours a day? Did you ever work as a night janitor or a night watchman while also working construction during the day? Did you ever work for a septic-tank service? Did you ever work at a conveyor belt, separating plastics, paper, glass, and metals from all of the dirty diapers and used syringes that people carelessly throw into the garbage?

It takes personal effort to get out of poverty, but only if you are both willing and able. We should help the disabled as much as possible; but for the rest, they're on their own.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 21 Nov 2015, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

Fnord wrote:
marshall wrote:
No, most of us would rather see people in real need get help locally, from family, friends, and religious institutions (that's why we put money in the collection plates, right?). We would rather not be taxed to support able-bodied people whose alleged needs are the direct result of their own lack of initiative in schools and workplaces - dropouts and bums are a drain on society, sucking up resources that real needy people deserve instead.

I tried hard in school and my places of enployment and I am neither a dropout , bum or drain on society. Also getting help locally isn't practical in all cases, what of those that come from abusive families or those whose bad social skills gets them expelled from religious institutions?

Wow, I am happy I am a bit of a libreal. I am out, I am not going argue this, politics and religion aren't worth fighting for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 11:29 am

dcj123 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
marshall wrote:
I tried hard in school and my places of enployment and I am neither a dropout , bum or drain on society. Also getting help locally isn't practical in all cases, what of those that come from abusive families or those whose bad social skills gets them expelled from religious institutions? Wow, I am happy I am a bit of a libreal. I am out, I am not going argue this, politics and religion aren't worth fighting for.
You, at least, are trying to make something of yourself. For that, I salute you! :salut:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 12:30 pm

There is no necessary link between our neurology and political ideology. Political ideology is a product of free thinking and or enculturation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

I don't know. I just feel the same as the majority of the people I talk to. Like with this ISIS crisis, me and everybody I have spoken to about it so far have been against the refugees coming to the UK. It's not because they are from the middle east. It's because there are homeless people on the streets here, and housing is being offered to the refugees. It's like the British are being pushed aside, which is racist against us because we feel discriminated for being British. But we all must keep our mouths shut otherwise we will be the racist ones. But we are not racist. We just want our rights back, in our own country.

Sorry, I don't even know if that was anything to do with this thread but I'm just so angry because of what my future holds.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 4:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't know. I just feel the same as the majority of the people I talk to. Like with this ISIS crisis, me and everybody I have spoken to about it so far have been against the refugees coming to the UK. It's not because they are from the middle east. It's because there are homeless people on the streets here, and housing is being offered to the refugees. ...
There. That's it. Why take in refugees while homeless people in this country are already being ignored?

Quote:
How can people be so heartless?
How can people be so cruel?
Easy to be hard, easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings?
How can they ignore their friends?
Easy to be proud, easy to say no

And especially people who care about strangers
Who care about evil and social injustice
Do you only care about the bleeding crowd?

-- "Easy To Be Hard", by Three Dog Night, 1969

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:22 pm

corroonb wrote:
Nobody is self-reliant. We all rely on others. Those others might be family, friends, government agencies, teachers or doctors. The idea that it's even possible to be some self-made objectivist ubermensch is childish. We all benefit from handouts whether explicit or implicit. Roads, schools, parental care, welfare, pensions, tax credits. There is such a thing as society.

It's funny how many super wealthy people espouse self-reliance but never had to work hard in their entire lives...also give their kids a free ride on the o'l gravy train...

Economic privilege is often passed down...

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:56 pm

yelekam wrote:
There is no necessary link between our neurology and political ideology. Political ideology is a product of free thinking and or enculturation.

You might want to Google,
neurological characteristics conservatives

Especially when considering the extremes (ie liberal progressives vs religious conservatives), they actually do think differently, perceive differently, have different neurological reactions to perceived threats, problem solve differently, etc. etc...