Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2007, 9:03 pm

So apparently it went from 1-3 to every 10,000 people that have autism to 1 every 150. Im astounded and afraid of that amount. I know mostly everyone has heard about this and no one knows what the cause is.

Im curious if anyone on here has theories on what might be up?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:04 pm

1 in 150 is the official count.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:10 pm

What's happening here is, we're getting better at diagnosing it. Plus it isn't just autism. It includes other disorders on the spectrum as well.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:11 pm

I don't think it's that more people are actually being born on the spectrum.

I think the numbers are rising as more and more people are becoming aware of what autism is and realizing that they or someone they know or their baby might be OTS.

In other words, I think it's about awareness, and psychiatrists also learning more about the various diagnoses, rather than some evil thing happening in the world.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:12 pm

I in 150 is the number on the autism SPECTRUM. Classic autism before they expanded the criteria was more like 3 in 10,000. Now they are including PDD-NOS and Aspergers to those numbers. That is why many dispute that there is an autism "epidemic" because the people that are being counted now would not have been counted before. For instance the number in the UK is more like 1 in 100 and has been for awhile so it seems like the US is behind. And many adults who would not have qualified for an autism label due to having Asperger's may have been just considered weird OR labeled with other things like severe anxiety,OCD, or even things like schizophrenia.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:30 pm

The whole thing is a LIE, a MANUFACTURED! They TRUTH? Prior to sometime in the 40s, it was UNKNOWN!! !! ! NOBODY was diagnosed! THEN, there was a strict guideline that was UNOFFICIAL, so FEW got diagnosed. THEN it became official, and MORE were diagnosed. THEN the guideline was made less strict, and MORE were diagnosed! THEN it was made even BROADER to include people like me, and MORE were diagnosed! THEN one part(AS) became known as the GEEK disorder, and people that were curious, or looking for a group of people affected by the same problems got diagnosed(Nearly ALL were productive members that don't deserve to be used to negatively affect others in their group), and MORE were diagnosed! NOW, by some accounts, 1 in 250 has Autism! Of those, almost half are male, and about 1 in 150 have autism!! !! ! So some claim that FAR LESS than 1 in 150 humans are affected, and that the 1 in 150 number represents only MALES!

So, you see, historical statistics CAN'T mean ANYTHING! That is true for 5 reasons!

1. The definition is BROADER than it was!
2. More countries recognize it than before!
3. Much of the stigma has been removed!
4. It is advertised more!
5. Some get checked even though it won't allow them to have effective treatment!

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 9:32 pm

SteveK wrote:
The whole thing is a LIE, and MANUFACTURED! The TRUTH? Prior to sometime in the 40s, it was UNKNOWN!! !! ! NOBODY was diagnosed! THEN, there was a strict guideline that was UNOFFICIAL, so FEW got diagnosed. THEN it became official, and MORE were diagnosed. THEN the guideline was made less strict, and MORE were diagnosed! THEN it was made even BROADER to include people like me, and MORE were diagnosed! THEN one part(AS) became known as the GEEK disorder, and people that were curious, or looking for a group of people affected by the same problems got diagnosed(Nearly ALL were productive members that don't deserve to be used to negatively affect others in their group), and MORE were diagnosed! NOW, by some accounts, 1 in 250 has Autism! Of those, almost half are male, and about 1 in 150 have autism!! !! ! So some claim that FAR LESS than 1 in 150 humans are affected, and that the 1 in 150 number represents only MALES!

So, you see, historical statistics CAN'T mean ANYTHING! That is true for 5 reasons!

1. The definition is BROADER than it was!
2. More countries recognize it than before!
3. Much of the stigma has been removed!
4. It is advertised more!
5. Some get checked even though it won't allow them to have effective treatment!

Steve

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:18 am

ADHD count ?

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:50 am

its probably not more ppl have it, but more ppl r being diagnosed.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 1:22 am

I agree with the above. People blow it all so out of proportion, blathering on about autism epidemics and international health emergencies, when it's really just a broader definition of the spectrum more than anything else.

Auras
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2007, 3:24 am

Either way this "epidemic" is good for us. shed's more light on the subject and brings in more research money.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 5:48 am

Auras wrote:
Either way this "epidemic" is good for us. shed's more light on the subject and brings in more research money.

ACTUALLY, it DOESN'T really bring in much money!

INCOME=DONATIONS-WASTE!

While the "epidemic" DOES increase donations, it is done on behalf of groups like CAN which are WASTE! So income could be near zero.

That is the most insidious thing about all this.

Steve

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 7:13 am

i read somewhere (unreliable source) that 70% of autistics have an IQ under 70.
is this true, if not what is the official figure if there is one.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 8:06 am

Gilb wrote:
i read somewhere (unreliable source) that 70% of autistics have an IQ under 70.
is this true, if not what is the official figure if there is one.

Interesting! I heard it was less than HALF! The broader definition REALLY doesn't include more people on the low end of the scale, but the high end of the scale is now LITERALLY OFF THE CHART! SO, the bulk of those in the increase should have HIGHER IQs!! !! !! !

Steve

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2007, 4:56 pm

What is now called Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
was called "Minimal Brain Damage" or "Developmental Retardation" when I was growing
up. This was back in the 1960s and early 1970s. Most of the mental health proffessionals
that child services sent me to were either "Freudian hacks" or "Behaviorists"
Anyone who was either Asperger's or High Functioning Autistic was labeled as either
a "Gifted Under Achiever" or an "Anti-Social". I had all these labels and others pegged
to me.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2007, 5:44 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
ADHD count ?

ADHD in and of itself? Maybe. Hyperactivity and "acting-out" was some thing I had or did.
here are a couple of "Wikis" in case you haven't read them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_spectrum
Be careful with Wiki, the information is not always complete or reliable.