I'm female and my vocal range is higher then average 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I'm female and my vocal range is rather normal 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
I'm female and my vocal range is lower then average 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 12:25 am

This thread is to try to test my claim I made here that autistic men tend to have a higher then average vocal range. It's something I have noticed with my rather small sample size, but I want to test that claim a bit more. The original claim was about men, but I figured I would make this poll be about women too because why not.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Last edited by mikeman7918 on 01 May 2016, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 12:28 am

On most days, I sing in the baritone range. On good days, I sing bass.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 12:30 am

In my case, neither. Either?

It depends on my mood. :| I could be pitchy with a childish voice assuming I'm not serious, or a low monotonous voice that could intimidate others.

I haven't work on this yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 2:36 am

Fnord wrote:
On most days, I sing in the baritone range. On good days, I sing bass.

That made me chuckle.

In answer to the question...I have not got a clue.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:08 pm

Like 65% of males, my voice is in the baritone range. I'm as normal as normal gets. :wink:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:34 pm

Here is mine. Apologies for the singing quality ! My voice has deteriorated dreadfully in the last decade.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aE6lvQrgst

My speaking voice- freak alert! http://vocaroo.com/i/s0u0uabAXqBP

Last edited by firemonkey on 01 May 2016, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:36 pm

My range is normal but all I do is mumble really cause I've never had the confidence or environment to really talk enough to gain some kinda improvement, maybe some day I'll progress past the mumbling!

delightfullyodd
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2016, 8:42 pm

I didn't know which option to choose, because my vocal range is... rather large. Like tenor through coloratura soprano. (Damn, I love being versatile!) My speaking voice, however, is quite low.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 9:49 pm

I should probably point out that my voice is higher then the male average in the soprano range. It's in a really annoying place actually because most songs lie right near or at it's lower limits, although it can go quite high and with practice I have wondered if I could imitate a female voice by talking at the upper limits of my vocal range (instead of talking at it's lower limits like I usually do).

If anyone cares to hear my voice then here is a link to my old inactive gaming channel. You can also really see the effects of my inattention and executive functioning problems in some of those videos, not to mention the large number of incomplete projects and the fact that I stopped doing it. I am a wizard with redstone and space flight though.

Deviant Art

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 10:03 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:

If anyone cares to hear my voice then here is a link to my old inactive gaming channel. You can also really see the effects of my inattention and executive functioning problems in some of those videos, not to mention the large number of incomplete projects and the fact that I stopped doing it. I am a wizard with redstone and space flight though.

I notice your voice is quite a bit deeper from your first video to your latest. I guess your voice hadn't broken earlier.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 1:36 pm

Acoustic analysis of my speaking voice indicates middle of female voice range.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 10:09 am

I sound like a raspy 12 year old. :|

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2016, 3:45 pm

I used to think I had a really low contralto voice. I always sang the alto parts in a choir. I have a break in my voice at around B or C above middle C and it was really hard for me to sing above that.

Then in my early 20s I took voice lessons, and to my complete surprise the teacher was able to coax my voice way above that. She said I could sing coloratura. After working with her for a short time I was able to sing soprano parts. But I can only sing comfortably up to the second A above middle C. I can squeak out a B or C or almost a D but really can't go any further. So I don't think I have a true coloratura voice, I might have the timbre for it, but definitely not the range.

On the low end I can sing the F below middle C very comfortably, or maybe an E. I can hit a D or C but that's as low as my voice wants to go.

What's weird is I still have a lot of trouble with the break in my voice. My range is technically a mezzo-soprano, but music designated for mezzo usually calls for heavy use of that part of my voice I have the most trouble with. It is easier for me to sing in the upper range of my voice, or lower range, without going in the middle much. I think that is the opposite of how most people are.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 5:01 am

Vocal range, or voice type?

Those are kind of two different things, vocal range being the range of notes you can speak/sing, voice type being your actual voice classification.

For instance some Baritones can have longer ranges than others, just as some Sopranos may be able to sing lower notes other one's could never reach.

Anyway, I'm a Baritone naturally, at least, hoping I am, and can sing the entire baritone range along with the top few notes of the male bass range.

I can do a decent falsetto and can hit the lower notes of the Soprano range, but if I go too high it's a strain on my voice.

I do talk in this video. I was tired/croaky in the video at the time of making it though and usually speak slightly higher-pitched when more enthusiastic and alert.

BTW, have you ever tried playing EVE Online? Might seem like your kind of game.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 10:52 am

Outrider wrote:
BTW, have you ever tried playing EVE Online? Might seem like your kind of game.

I have not played it, but I have looked into it. I am not very good with strategy games and also it's quite expensive to play being subscription based and all.

Deviant Art

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 2:15 pm

Normal. More like mezzo speaking voice (can you even say that?) and soprano singing voice. I can sing pretty high like older albums from Within Temptation but mostly never do. I can sing mezzo ok now. Odd thing is I can go way lower when speaking compared to singing. Same chords though. My question would be why such a difference?

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.