Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 2:08 pm

Is Autism really can make you disable? I'm asking cuz I have Cerebral Palsy & Asperger, I'm with Regional Center & I have an independent living skill people helping me, I also get SSI too. I'm just wondering cuz of what personal information I have to tell them, I don't like telling them, I'm a private person off the internet, I understand I have to tell doctors & SSI stuff.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2015, 5:00 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Is Autism really can make you disable? I'm asking cuz I have Cerebral Palsy & Asperger, I'm with Regional Center & I have an independent living skill people helping me, I also get SSI too. I'm just wondering cuz of what personal information I have to tell them, I don't like telling them, I'm a private person off the internet, I understand I have to tell doctors & SSI stuff.

The stress of having to deal with other people often leaves us to exhausted to do even the most basic and minor chores around the house. Those of us that he engage with people on regular basis tend to be too fried to even cover their essential needs. There are even those that turn inwards, cutting themselves off from the world for extended periods of time. This allows us to engross ourselves in out topics of interest, and in the meanwhile gives us a chance to recuperate at our own pace.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 1:27 am

I'm thinking the cerebral palsy is enough for you to keep getting benefits. Maybe you don't have to mention the autism-but it does enhance your need for services.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 3:29 pm

Cerebral Palsy is enough to get benefits. I asked about Autism, cuz some people told me that Autism can make you disable, I was just trying to understand Autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 5:48 pm

In some people, autism can be disabling; in others, it's not.

It depends on how severe the autism is.

I grew up with a boy who was barely toilet-trained by the time he became an adult. He never spoke. He is autistic.

I, myself, was diagnosed with autism at a young age, then diagnosed with other things. Then I found out about Autism/Asperger's, and realized that I am on the Spectrum.

I talk, drive, am married, have a job, and I function fairly well in the world.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 7:45 pm

Every NT doctor knew, but my Parent Denied it that was until my father came and got custody. I understand autism very well.