Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

monjanse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

I have aspergers syndrome, but i can read some facial expressions like sad or happy and angry. Should i re evaluate the diagnosis, since i watch eyes and can read facial expressions?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

Everybody has different symptoms and traits. I can read people's facial expressions just fine. Not being able to read facial expressions is a common trait in Asperger's but it doesn't mean that everybody has that dilemma.

Last edited by lostgirl1986 on 11 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm

You've just described the most basic human expressions. I'm sure a large proportion of aspies can identify those most basic facial expressions. How do you fare on the Mind in the Eyes test? Even if you score well, it doesn't nessassarily mean anything.

Jason.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

Sounds like you can read simple facial expressions. That doesn't mean you are not autistic. There is more than just reading those facial expressions. I have a hard time with it sometimes and I can recognize when they change and know something is wrong but not understand it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

You can read some facial expressions. Are you sure you can read them all? If you missed some, how would you know?

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

What's so hard about connecting a very basic picture/movement/relation/expression to an emotion? Anything with an intelligence beyond an ant can do this. Now, if you're talking about more complicated expressions then it's more understandable. I can understand happy and sad, but ask me what the other n-2 emotions look like and I could only name/recognize a few. And when I'm conversing with someone, I don't pay attention or recognize their facial expressions because I'm focused on the conversation itself. I'm often confused or have no idea what they are feeling or thinking when we are talking. There's often a blank look or confused look on my face. Now if they laughed or smiled then I can predict with high accuracy that they are happy or excited and so on. Does this mean I don't have Asperger's? I don't think so.

Last edited by bizboy1 on 11 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monjanse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

I scored high on the eyetest. Most of my answers on the eyetest was guessing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

I'm a diagnosed Aspie but I can read facial expressions - by instinct. When my social worker comes, I like to sit on the same settee as her instead of the one at the otherside of the sitting-room, so that I can see her face better because I like to make eye contact and take in their facial expressions too. That helps a lot for some reason.

I can also read body language, even from a small child. I remember when I was about 6 I was playing in the snow with my cousin (who was about 7), and my mum's sister-in-law came round and said hello to us then knocked on the front door and was chatting to my mum (which I didn't hear their voices or what they were saying). Then moment later I saw the sister-in-law walk back down the garden path in a stiff way, without saying goodbye to us, and there was something in the way she walked that made me look and know there was something wrong. I said to my cousin, ''is she all right?'' and my cousin saw too but said, ''yeah, maybe she didn't see us'', and I was like, ''no, something about the way she walked looked like she was feeling cross or upset about something'' but my cousin was like ''no, she was OK'', and carried on playing and didn't seem to feel concerned at all, but I was. Then soon when we went back inside I realised I was right about the sister-in-law, because my mum was looking upset (which was also what I immediately noticed when I entered the room) and she said that her sister-in-law got the hump over a silly thing with her and stormed away. So I was right about the body language, I knew something was a bit ''off'' and it got me concerned. And that wasn't the only time I remember noticing someone's emotions by ''reading'' their body language. And don't make excuses - I am just an Aspie who can read face expressions and body language and other non-verbal cues. Just a shame I over-read negative body language from strangers since I've been become self-conscious and paranoid.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

You can reevaluate if you want, but each person with aspergers or autism has a different set of symptoms. For example, I have HFA, and I'm horrible at recognizing facial expressions - on tests testing facial expression recognition, I always score very very low. I usually think that none of the multiple choice answers fit. But another person with HFA or aspergers might have good facial expression recognition.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

I can read them too and am pretty good at picking up subtle ones. I'm very good at picking up subtle ones on people I know very well.

Not every symptom applies to every aspie. There are also degrees of severity and being symptomatic.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

monjanse wrote:
I have aspergers syndrome, but i can read some facial expressions like sad or happy and angry. Should i re evaluate the diagnosis, since i watch eyes and can read facial expressions?

I can too and I have ASD. It depends what are you generally like in terms of autistic diagnosis?

monjanse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

I have some social problems, and i have some problems with others perspectivs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

Atomsk wrote:
You can reevaluate if you want, but each person with aspergers or autism has a different set of symptoms. For example, I have HFA, and I'm horrible at recognizing facial expressions - on tests testing facial expression recognition, I always score very very low. I usually think that none of the multiple choice answers fit. But another person with HFA or aspergers might have good facial expression recognition.

I actually score very low on face expression tests, but in real life I can define someone's thoughts of emotions by facial expression by instinct. Weird, eh?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

I can also read facial expressions.

PurpleHaze
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2012, 4:30 pm

I think it's totally possible to learn facial expressions like you would learn geometric mathematics. I've also heard people with AS tend to get better as social situations are they gain more experience, it just takes us longer to learn the skill. That all being said, I flunked that mind's eye test. Geez! I'm still in remedial people-skills class at age 32.

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2012, 5:29 pm

I can reconize them I just can't figure out which one goes in which situation ...... which means I can't use them correctly...they come out looking unnatural and silly..