Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GraceSolas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2015, 12:45 am

I'm going camping at Noosa north shore (caravan park) with my family in two weeks. My sister and I will be staying in separate tents and my parents in a caravan. I was looking for resources on how to deal with camping for aspies but I could only find resources for parents. How do you deal with sand and public toilets/showers and daily large family gatherings and all the other issues in this situation?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 1:15 am

If you have the opportunity, see if you can stay at the campsite while your family goes hiking or whatever it is they'll be doing. This will give you the opportunity to get some alone time and decompress. Alternatively, if your family is at the campsite, perhaps you can go for a walk or something to escape. Depending on the climate, hiding out in the tent is a good solution too (though during the daytime it can get very hot if you're in a warmer climate.

As for the public bathrooms/showers, bring plenty of hand sanitizer, and avoid the showers if possible, just because it's easier than trying to shower every morning, only to smell like nature and campfire smoke a few hours later. How long are you going camping for? Have you done this sort of thing before?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2015, 3:12 am

I find travel in general very hard sometimes because of the break in routine.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 8:20 am

I'd say have a system, but I am very fond of systems. :)
Work out beforehand so you have everything you need - tent is worked out the way you like, you have any extra stuff you need (earplugs, stim stuff, certain textures that help with sleeping, blow up mattresses, etc) you have something to focus attention on (since everyone seems to be addicted to smartphones that may help, or a book) - basically make sure you have everything you need to make yourself comfortable beforehand. Have all your clothes and shoes worked out, research what you can of what will be around you to orient yourself and know what's near to hand if you need to get away from family and crowding for solo time.
I can't say sand or public bathrooms bother me - just thongs for the latter so you don't get any skeevy foot infections. Also this may be a bit weird but camouflaging helps me in the wilds, so I know I can't be seen and targeted. That helps to be more relaxed in a comparatively exposed situation - if they can't find you, they can't get you.