Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 1:06 am

When you found out about Aspergers like I did? When I read up the symptoms of Aspergers it was like an eureka moment, a lightbulb moment, my omg that sounds just like me moment. Where I finally found out why I am so weird, so different from everyone else.
Anyone else felt the same way I did?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:14 am

you betcha, i did.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 1:26 am

cathylynn wrote:
you betcha, i did.

Yeah how did you feel about it? Happy, sad, shocked?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:37 am

i felt appreciative of being able to understand things that had puzzled me before. not happy or sad. maybe a little relieved.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 1:39 am

cathylynn wrote:
i felt appreciative of being able to understand things that had puzzled me before. not happy or sad. maybe a little relieved.

That sounds kinda like me too! I felt a sense of happiness too.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 2:27 am

The first time I was diagnosed, I didn't even know what Asperger's was. I was seeing the psychiatrist for depression.

I knew nothing about Asperger's.

When I found out it was a form of Autism, I got upset.

Many years later, I got re-diagnosed again. That's when I started to believe there must have been something I wasn't aware of and when I started reading about it, the article I read described me to a T and it became hard to dispute.

It certainly was an A-ha moment. It explained so much of what I was like and what had gone on in my life!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 3:25 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
The first time I was diagnosed, I didn't even know what Asperger's was. I was seeing the psychiatrist for depression.

I knew nothing about Asperger's.

When I found out it was a form of Autism, I got upset.

Many years later, I got re-diagnosed again. That's when I started to believe there must have been something I wasn't aware of and when I started reading about it, the article I read described me to a T and it became hard to dispute.

It certainly was an A-ha moment. It explained so much of what I was like and what had gone on in my life!

Exactly how I felt A ha that explains so much! :D

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 4:54 am

You may not understand what I'm about to say but...
Ever since I was young, people always said I was like an alien. Even family. Especially my sister. I've always felt like I was an alien. Always different.

To compound/confuse the issue, when I was extremely young, I saw the Pleiades and always felt/knew I belonged there and longed to return.

Have you ever wondered why this Website is called "Wrong Planet"? Look up Erra - a planet of Taygeta.

I'm not mad. Just homesick!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 6:57 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
You may not understand what I'm about to say but...
Ever since I was young, people always said I was like an alien. Even family. Especially my sister. I've always felt like I was an alien. Always different.

To compound/confuse the issue, when I was extremely young, I saw the Pleiades and always felt/knew I belonged there and longed to return.

Have you ever wondered why this Website is called "Wrong Planet"? Look up Erra - a planet of Taygeta.

I'm not mad. Just homesick!

Haha that sounds a lot like me! My mum even says she thinks I am from a different planet from everyone else. I wish I could go back to my home planet if that is the case. That will show my mum I hate that b*****! So I will fit in more. An Aspie like me does not fit in such an abliest world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 8:19 am

Indeed...when I found out about Asperger's....it clarified lots of things for me.

I was diagnosed as autistic when I was 3. I went to special schools.

It clarified, even more, why I was the way I was after I started speaking at 5 1/2.

I wasn't exactly autistic in my view, after I spoke--until I read about Asperger's being a form of autism. I felt separate from my friend's brother--who was severely autistic, had to be watched constantly, and never developed speech. Not in a snobby sense, though. More in the sense that I was (selfishly) relieved that I wasn't so severely affected.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 9:02 am

It was and still is more a lot of lightbulb moments of finding out explinations for why things happened in my life they way they did. Relief was the biggest emotion I think. I wrote "I think" because some of these lightbulb moments involved finding out my emotions and presentations of them are atypical and that I do not understand them plenty of times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 9:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Indeed...when I found out about Asperger's....it clarified lots of things for me.

I was diagnosed as autistic when I was 3. I went to special schools.

It clarified, even more, why I was the way I was after I started speaking at 5 1/2.

I wasn't exactly autistic in my view, after I spoke--until I read about Asperger's being a form of autism. I felt separate from my friend's brother--who was severely autistic, had to be watched constantly, and never developed speech. Not in a snobby sense, though. More in the sense that I was (selfishly) relieved that I wasn't so severely affected.

Funny enough I went to special schools when I was younger because I had a physical disability. I then moved on to normal school. I found it very hard to adapt to normal school. People assumed it was just my physical disability why and so did I. Which was a big reason and the fact that my special school did not give me a proper education. I did not know how to write at age 7 or do any good math. So I had to learn pretty fast which I ssomehow did in a year! To this day I think I did not receive nearly enough credit for. Not only that but I was an oddball from the rest of the kids in the aspie way. I was bullied by students, teachers were very unsympathetic and I always got in trouble. I also had a very painful operation that year that took months to recover from. It was a very traumatic year when I was 7/8. Sorry to tell you my tragic life story it got much much better after that!

And I'm sorry to hear about your brother I understand why you would feel that way its hard living in a neurotypical world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 9:15 am

Yeah.....I was bullied, too. I went to special schools--except for 6-8th grades, when I went to regular school but with limited social but decent academic success.

Sorry about what you went through when you were 7/8--but you overcame it!

It was my friend's brother who was severely autistic. My brother was a neurotypical kid, 5 years older than me, who was really a jerk to me most of the time.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 9:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah.....I was bullied, too. I went to special schools--except for 6-8th grades, when I went to regular school but with limited social but decent academic success.

Sorry about what you went through when you were 7/8--but you overcame it!

It was my friend's brother who was severely autistic. My brother was a neurotypical kid, 5 years older than me, who was really a jerk to me most of the time.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah some days I wonder how I went from someone who did not know how to write and spell very well to being the one of the best in my classes in the next few years. Well I did work my butt off.
Oh oophs, my sister who was two years younger than me was like that to me and other kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 9:34 am

Perhaps....you were just a "late-bloomer," and caught up to the other kids. If people don't put barriers in your way, you could accomplish much when you are a young child.

I first spoke at age 5 1/2. I caught up to the other kids very quickly in terms of how I spoke.

Socially---forget about it!

I'm only catching up now, at nearly age 55.

Aspergirl16
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2015, 9:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps....you were just a "late-bloomer," and caught up to the other kids. If people don't put barriers in your way, you could accomplish much when you are a young child.

I first spoke at age 5 1/2. I caught up to the other kids very quickly in terms of how I spoke.

Socially---forget about it!

I'm only catching up now, at nearly age 55.

Yeah but I as get older I find it hard to things more barriers I suppose. When you are a kid you are carefree, and when you get older you become more cynical.

Socially I'm still very awkward but my friends don't mind because they are "weird" themselves.