And my family wonder why I don't want to socialize with them

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:08 pm

After a friendly greeting when my family comes, I get out my drawing/writing stuff and get lost in my creativity but still be in the room because I don't like isolating myself. But then people (mostly my uncle) criticise because I don't talk much when writing or drawing, and others keep asking me stupid pointless questions that only require a "yes" or "no" answer.

Then when I do talk, as in join in the conversation, something on the TV distracts everyone in the room, even if we're not exactly watching anything, and I get upset if people's attention are drawn to the TV when it's my turn to talk, and people's faces mean "ssh, we're trying to listen to the TV" (even though they weren't interested in the TV a few seconds ago). Then when I express annoyance, my mum then yells "you're always talking!" even though it's the first time I have opened my mouth and it's what I thought everyone wanted me to do.

I love my family very much, but sometimes I feel I can't win when socializing with them, particularly my mum and uncle.
And no badmouthing my mum, as I love her, but this is the sort of situation that is frustrating to me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2015, 2:22 pm

They sound a lot like my family, back when I lived with them.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:56 pm

Ugh. Yes, my family of origin was very much like that. When they needed me to answer I had to answer. When they wanted to ignore the conversation for whatever reason, they did so. Then again, I'm convinced at least half were/are on the spectrum, too, but were raised to try to act as NT as they could. I'm sorry yours treated you that way. Personally, I think if you explain to them how you like being with them but the constant interaction is too much so you are going to draw in the same room as them *because* you want to be with them, it should be enough. But I'm going to guess they just won't get it b/c they haven't learned how to think that way...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Dec 2015, 4:03 am

Stuff like that used to happen to me as a kid.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

zeropiwa
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2015, 8:54 pm

Your post pretty much summarizes why it is not possible to "socialize" with "normal" people. They are mostly into trivial, mundane, automatic interaction and also distracted by the most trivial stimuli. Or forcing you to interact on their level just to keep control and dominate and pretending to be so much into tv all of a sudden as an excuse to shut you down when it is time for you to speak. Denying the right to speak is a form of psychological domination as well as forcing someone to speak. But of course it is hard to tell and I do not even care about the motives of people with limited horizons, whatever the setting might be. I just find ways to "neutralize" the situation and proceed with whatever I'm doing. Still, on a side note, it might be a better idea to hang out with people who do appreciate and understand creativity and are not trying to pull you down to their level.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm

As long as I don't try to dominate a conversation or dwell on depressing subjects, I find it easy to socialize.

By observing people who socialize more than others, I've noticed a few traits that they have in common.

Eye Contact - Yes, the Big Taboo! It does not mean locking your eye on theirs with an unblinking stare. It means looking at their faces more often than looking away.

Close Proximity - Arm's length is just about right. Closer may cause anxiety. Farther may imply disinterest.

Taking Turns - One person says something, and then stops to listen while someone else speaks. No one person dominates, and "What do you think?" is often asked.

Adaptability - Being able to converse on a wide variety of topics is essential to socializing. Focusing only on one's own interests is a sure way to drive people away.

Positive Attitude - Smiles are also essential. Avoiding criticism and cynicism are important as well. Keeping away from dark, depressing topics is exceptionally beneficial. A healthy sense of humor is the metaphorical icing on the cake.

I've tried these at holiday parties, and it was amazing how popular I was! No one put me down or became frustrated with me. There was very little "small talk" or superficial nonsense. Everyone had a good time, and the time passed quickly.

If only I had learned these "rules" when I was a kid.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
As long as I don't try to dominate a conversation or dwell on depressing subjects, I find it easy to socialize.

By observing people who socialize more than others, I've noticed a few traits that they have in common.

Eye Contact - Yes, the Big Taboo! It does not mean locking your eye on theirs with an unblinking stare. It means looking at their faces more often than looking away.

Close Proximity - Arm's length is just about right. Closer may cause anxiety. Farther may imply disinterest.

Taking Turns - One person says something, and then stops to listen while someone else speaks. No one person dominates, and "What do you think?" is often asked.

Adaptability - Being able to converse on a wide variety of topics is essential to socializing. Focusing only on one's own interests is a sure way to drive people away.

Positive Attitude - Smiles are also essential. Avoiding criticism and cynicism are important as well. Keeping away from dark, depressing topics is exceptionally beneficial. A healthy sense of humor is the metaphorical icing on the cake.

I've tried these at holiday parties, and it was amazing how popular I was! No one put me down or became frustrated with me. There was very little "small talk" or superficial nonsense. Everyone had a good time, and the time passed quickly.

If only I had learned these "rules" when I was a kid.

Excellent list! My weak point is "Adaptability". Not because I tend to only focus on my interests, but because NT people seem to have a super secret signal as to *when* to shift topic and I almost always miss it. I do pay attention to when their focus seems to shift, but that's not it - or that's not the only signal, apparently?