Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 7:33 pm

Hi! my name is Rachael and I live in Gainesville FL but I'm originally from Memphis,TN. I've lived in Gainesville for the past eight years since the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school and graduated from high school here. I have an ASD diagnosis and have had one since I was about three. I also have social phobia, ADHD, trichotillomania (now under control), anxiety, depression, a learning disability in math, dyspraxia, slow processing and executive dysfunction problems. I live with my parents and currently don't hold a job and I take one class at the community college here however in the spring (May to be exact) I'm going to be moving to Boston. I've never really lived away from my parents (I'm 24) and I'm a little bit nervous about moving to a big city. I've never paid rent/done upkeep on an apartment before but I have some general idea of how it's done. Does anyone on here live in Boston/New England/the NE? I'm going to be doing the Aspire internship program and using resources at Mass General and the New England Autism and Aspergers Network. Does anyone else who lives around the area know of any other resources there and around the NE? How do you all like living in Boston and/or the NE? let me know.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 7:52 pm

I don't know anything about the Aspire internship thing, but I am concerned you might be biting off more than you are prepared to chew.

Living alone is a huge transition in itself, and moving to a big (and expensive) city is another one.

My concern is that you don't find yourself overwhelmed and start to backslide or even get into drug abuse or other unhealthy ways of coping. Is living in a dormitory with a meal plan an option for you, instead of going straight into an apartment? It might not appeal to you but at least some structure would be in place. My daughter finally got her own apartment a few months ago, and we have to remind her to eat sometimes.

Good luck. If I could afford to live in Boston, I would join the New England Historical and Genealogical Society so I could use their library. (Genealogy is one of my special interests.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 8:00 pm

Are you moving to Boston to go to college?

I'm from NYC, so I could give you advice about big-city living. I've lived in NYC all my life.

How is your rent going to be paid?

The T--which is the rapid transit entity for the Boston area, is easy to navigate.

If you were moving to NYC, I could advise you about bad areas and such.

There's lots of gentrification going on in Boston--so, if you're looking in what used to be a bad area, it might not be so bad now.

What neighborhoods are you looking into?

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 9:17 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I don't know anything about the Aspire internship thing, but I am concerned you might be biting off more than you are prepared to chew.

Living alone is a huge transition in itself, and moving to a big (and expensive) city is another one.

My concern is that you don't find yourself overwhelmed and start to backslide or even get into drug abuse or other unhealthy ways of coping. Is living in a dormitory with a meal plan an option for you, instead of going straight into an apartment? It might not appeal to you but at least some structure would be in place. My daughter finally got her own apartment a few months ago, and we have to remind her to eat sometimes.

Good luck. If I could afford to live in Boston, I would join the New England Historical and Genealogical Society so I could use their library. (Genealogy is one of my special interests.)

I wouldn't be living directly in Boston I'd be living in a suburb most likely Allston. I'm honestly not too worried about drugs or anything like that as I already have a support network up there. To my knowledge they don't have a dorm or a meal plan. I don't really forget to eat or anything. I'd ideally just be using this apartment as a crash pad.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 9:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are you moving to Boston to go to college?

I'm from NYC, so I could give you advice about big-city living. I've lived in NYC all my life.

How is your rent going to be paid?

The T--which is the rapid transit entity for the Boston area, is easy to navigate.

If you were moving to NYC, I could advise you about bad areas and such.

There's lots of gentrification going on in Boston--so, if you're looking in what used to be a bad area, it might not be so bad now.

What neighborhoods are you looking into?

I'm not moving to Boston to go to college although I would like to probably within the next year or two. I plan to work part time and my parents said that they'd help me out with rent and hopefully this internship will land me a job. I'm moving to Boston mostly for work opportunities because Gainesville's employment opportunities are very limited. There's a possibility that I might be throwing down some money for a one bedroom with three friends from back home in NYC but it's not something that's really been discussed extensively. As far as neighborhoods I'm looking into Brighton, Allston and Jamaica Plane

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 10:01 pm

There used to be this show called "Zoom." The address of the show was "Box 350, Boston Mass, 02134." 02134 happens to be Allston's zip code!

Jamaica Plain has access to the "T." You could take the Green Line (E section) to Heath Avenue, and you'll be in Jamaica Plain. Jamaica Plain is an "up and coming" sort of area.

There's a section of Queens, New York City, called Jamaica.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 10:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There used to be this show called "Zoom." The address of the show was "Box 350, Boston Mass, 02134." 02134 happens to be Allston's zip code!

Jamaica Plain has access to the "T." You could take the Green Line (E section) to Heath Avenue, and you'll be in Jamaica Plain. Jamaica Plain is an "up and coming" sort of area.

There's a section of Queens, New York City, called Jamaica.

Yeah I remember zoom that's so cool that's Allston's zip code I'll definetly remember it if I end up living there. I know about Jamica when I was in NYC this past October I passed through it on the way into manhatten from JFK. My friends who currently living in Gainesville but who are possibly looking into the 4 of us splitting a one br are looking into Bushwick,Flatbush,Brooklyn Heights,Bed-Stuy or Ridgewood.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm

Brooklyn Heights is head and shoulders over the rest. I would pick it above the others. It's a shorter commute into Manhattan, too.

There are parts of Bushwick, Flatbush, Bed-Stuy, and Ridgewood that are still rough. I hope your friends know the neighborhoods. All are getting better, though. You just have to really be vigilant about the building and block you choose to live on.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Dec 2015, 10:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Brooklyn Heights is head and shoulders over the rest. I would pick it above the others. It's a shorter commute into Manhattan, too.

There are parts of Bushwick, Flatbush, Bed-Stuy, and Ridgewood that are still rough. I hope your friends know the neighborhoods. All are getting better, though. You just have to really be vigilant about the building and block you choose to live on.

Yeah it's funny a lot of our friends live in those places. When I was there October 2014 and this past April I was around both of those places and they didn't strike me as completely sketchy but then again I wasn't walking by myself or anything.

MarvelG33k
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2016, 6:44 pm

I currently live in Boston.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

I live in the suburbs of Boston.

AANE is a mixed bag. Expect a long bureaucratic process to get employment supports. The social support groups are meh.

The self-organized meetups on Meetup.com are pretty good and run by persons with ASD. I'm a member of the Boston Adults With Asperger's meetup.

Hit me up via private message if you want.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm

> Moving To Boston

Best city in the world. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 12:33 pm

Hi Rachael. I'm originally from and still live in the greater Boston area. There is this place called the Asperger's Association of New England (AANE) located in Watertown, MA and there are several local MBTA (T) buses that take you there (if you don't have a car). Boston is a nice city, but you must accustom yourself to the snow there since you're from FL.

Have you ever had problems making best friends with people?

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2016, 5:42 pm

Boston and MA is considered the Autism state I would stay away from there. It's also where a school called Judge Rotenberg Center is present.. They treat all Autistics like animals..

MA is also associated with Autism Speaks and are obsessed with Autism in general, literally 85% of Autism news or studies come from MA..

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2016, 10:32 pm

BrainPower101 wrote:
Boston and MA is considered the Autism state I would stay away from there. It's also where a school called Judge Rotenberg Center is present.. They treat all Autistics like animals..

MA is also associated with Autism Speaks and are obsessed with Autism in general, literally 85% of Autism news or studies come from MA..

Boston by sheer numbers of Autistc Cousins is one of the best cities to be in. The Judge Rotenberg Center doesn't represent the peer-organized supports which are quite good.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:34 pm

MarvelG33k wrote:
I currently live in Boston.

Oh awesome! How do you like it?