Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 11:42 am

Some people are transgender, they are born with one gender and wish to convert to the other.

Well, I'm trans-neurological. That means I was born with one configuration(aspie) and wish to convert to the other(NT).

I doubt any NT in their right mind would want to be autistic tho.

It's a pity there are operations for sex change, but not for neuro-change. Hopefully one day technology will address this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 12:12 pm

I feel the same as you. From the day I was diagnosed I've always wished to be NT. I don't feel comfortable with being an Aspie. I feel I should be NT.

Just like how a transgender person feels.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 12:23 pm

Yes, I suppose so. I don't think on it much until someone brings it up. Especially when someone goes "autism is great!" That makes me go:

Which is an improvement over the reaction I used to have:

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 12:26 pm

Those bubble-headed optimists are so damn annoying!

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
Those bubble-headed optimists are so damn annoying!

While I can understand why they feel that way... yes, they are.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm

I'd never Trade my Strengths in Science, Technology, Science and Math for being neurotypical. Also, I came to the conclusion That you would no longer be yourself as you know it!

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:04 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I'd never Trade my Strengths in Science, Technology, Science and Math for being neurotypical. Also, I came to the conclusion That you would no longer be yourself as you know it!

It's entirely possible you'd be every bit as good at that stuff. As for the other part? If I'm displeased with myself as I know it, that's kind of the whole point.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:15 pm

I felt this way as a kid, I wanted to get my head operated on so I could get a new brain transplant and then I am normal. But I didn't realize I would still be me but I would just be in a different body.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm

Being autistic wouldn't be too much of a problem for me if I possessed any great talents or gifts that many other individuals on the spectrum seemingly possess. But alas, I do not. If I were to be brutally honest with myself, I am a high-functioning autistic adult with a below average IQ; a dreadful work ethic and a complete lack of drive and ambition. A low level of intellect wouldn't be such an issue if I had a neuro-typical's wiring, as strong social/inter-personal skills would compensate somewhat for a lack of brightness.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 4:08 pm

I would say, with almost 100% certainty, that you don't have a below-average IQ, Jake.

If you tested that way, there's something wrong with the test.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 4:33 pm

I don't think this is the same as being transgender. Transgender people were born with the body parts of one gender, but feel on the inside they are another gender. Whereas you don't necessarily feel you are NT, you just want to be NT. What you describe is the same as a woman wishing she were a man because of the extra privileges men get in society. It doesn't make her transgender.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 4:53 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
It's a pity there are operations for sex change, but not for neuro-change. Hopefully one day technology will address this.

Oh, there *are* operations for neuro-change. Egas Moniz recieved the Nobel Prize in medicine in 1949 for inventing the most famous one.

Lobotomy.

Be careful what you wish for.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 5:06 pm

TheAP wrote:
I don't think this is the same as being transgender. Transgender people were born with the body parts of one gender, but feel on the inside they are another gender. Whereas you don't necessarily feel you are NT, you just want to be NT. What you describe is the same as a woman wishing she were a man because of the extra privileges men get in society. It doesn't make her transgender.

Yeah, not quite the same thing. I look at it more as a very rough analogy.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 5:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say, with almost 100% certainty, that you don't have a below-average IQ, Jake.

That's very kind of you to say, Kraftie. :)

Incidentally, I have undertaken many uncertified online IQ tests before.

My highest score was 151; my lowest was 87.

Thus I may have, at the very best, an IQ that is in the below average/average range. This wouldn't be such a problem for me if I possessed a great passion for anything.

It's shocking for me to think how much time I have spent staring into space thinking about nothing at all. It cannot always be ascribed to a manifestation of anxiety because I spend the majority of my time alone in my mother's house, in which visits from others are extremely rare....thankfully. :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 6:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I used to score low on those tests and it was because I had a profound language delay even though I could talk and tell my day in school and tell the teacher when a kid is being mean to me and it was also because of my reading comprehension was poor so I always scored in the midly ret*d range and then in the below average range. Then when my mom had me get tested in other areas, I scored average so it was shown that my overall IQ score was inaccurate. I did start ti score in the average range when my language got better. I was older so my understanding of it grew too. The older I got, the higher my score got. Now I wonder what my score would be now as an adult than it was in 6th grade.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 6:21 pm

TheAP wrote:

I wonder what would happen if someone wanted to transition because of those things like let's say a man wanted to be a woman because he felt women had it easier and also because they get to wear women clothing and not be judged for it and they can get away with wearing cute clothes and having cute things and get away with having childish interests and acting childish?