Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2015, 9:34 pm

I am sure this was already a discussion thread, but here it goes. Has there been a loveday one who told you,in frank or not so frank manner, that your gift choice was not a good choice?
This year I was responsible for getting my spouse her stocking stuffers. I decided to give her toiletries and as a result she informed me that toiletries are not gifts and anything she can get for herself is also not a gift. Who know?

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:02 pm

Everyone learns this the hard way, aspie or not.

Never, ever (not ever) buy your wife a kitchen appliance for Christmas unless she absolutely insists on having it.

8O

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:06 pm

Toiletries like nice shower gel, bath bombs and nice soap is fine. Don't buy toothpaste or shampoo sort of things. I would say that's pretty accurate for most people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:53 pm

Obviously never buy someone a gift you full well know will be useless to them or buying them something only you will like you know they won't like.

Never buy someone a gift just for so they can fix your car or something or repair something in your home.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ivory
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

Been there, done that! When I was in my 20s, my first partner was amazing at gift giving. Me, not so much. On our first X-mas together, I was very excited to give him a... coat tree! He didn't have any other place to put his coat in his apartment, so I figured it was a great idea at the time. I didn't get the fact that he expected something a little more romantic/heartfelt. As a matter of fact, when he saw the box, he laughed and said he couldn't wait to see what was inside, thinking I had joked about giving him a coat tree. When he saw that it actually was a coat tree, the look on his face was priceless, but not in a positive way. lol

That being said, I'm sorry to hear your partner didn't like your gift. I believe gift giving is very personal. One person might find a gift wonderful and someone else wouldn't like it at all. It's difficult to shop for someone else.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 2:47 pm

redbrick1 wrote:
I am sure this was already a discussion thread, but here it goes. Has there been a loveday one who told you,in frank or not so frank manner, that your gift choice was not a good choice?
This year I was responsible for getting my spouse her stocking stuffers. I decided to give her toiletries and as a result she informed me that toiletries are not gifts and anything she can get for herself is also not a gift. Who know?
Just so you know you're not alone in that thought process: I love to get gifts that are unusual. That's a bit of discovery. But, the one's I am most grateful for are the things you described. It means I don't have to go out and buy that crap. Relief from that chore really is a happy time for me.

Ivory wrote:
When he saw that it actually was a coat tree, the look on his face was priceless, but not in a positive way. lol
I'd have been thrilled!! I love practical gifts. And, if it's well made, I'll use it for years until it's lost or broken beyond repair.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 7:09 pm

I got my mom a bar of soap that came in a music box. I liked the song and the soap smelled good so i got her it. My husband told me that was not a very good present. My mom opened it on Christmas and she liked it.

I saw a dog shaming kit and I wanted to get it for my brother and my mom didn't like the idea or the present I wanted to give him. She thought dog shaming was dumb because how do you shame an animal? I told her it's done as a joke and she told me she thinks it's all stupid and my brother wouldn't do that to his dog. I ended up not getting him that gift.I did ask for her opinion when i showed her the gift idea.

I got my husband a bunch of quirky gifts. I got him a back scratcher that was shaped like a rake, I got him a table mini ping pong game, I got him a little t thing that is shaped like a human and you put tea in it and put it in your cup and it looks like the person is Jacuzzing in your tea. I also got him a tea set that was Keep Calm and it had a British flash on the tray and cup holder and on the coffee cup. He liked them all and I suck at giving gifts because I can't figure out what to get people.

I once was shopping for a baby shower for my brother's ex girlfriend and I got her a used baby gift and my mom told me you don't get people used baby items for a baby shower, you get them a brand new item. So she helped me picked out what baby thing to get her. But my in laws got used used baby things anyway for our kids, especially for a baby shower. But they are poor so I understand they can't afford brand new things so lot of their gifts for my children are used. They buy brand new things sometimes.

My parents once got me a tool set that was also a repair kit for a Christmas present and it was just so we could fix the dent in our apartment wall my husband did unintentionally. I also thought it was a joke so I expected a real present but that was their real present and I didn't feel it was a real gift. From what I understood, you don't buy people things just so they can fix something and have it be a gift, that is what I had learned in my English class when I was 15 but my parents had done it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.