I do NOT want to be cured for Autism Spectrum Disorder!

Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 4:45 am

What i mean by AS has never been beneficial to me, is that I don't have hyperfocus skills, I don't have a good special interest to focus on, and I am not ''more intelligent'' than the general population, otherwise why am I still stuck in a minimum-wage dead-end job while a lot of my NT peers seem to be in jobs they like and what they want to do? Being successful career-wise does not only require social skills, but also strictly requires passion, being attentive, and certain intelligence.

All I feel like is a dimwit. I've never really had special interests as such, just obsessions/crushes with particular people that just made me look like a pathetic stalker. I hate it when people assume that just because you've got AS it means you are hard-wired to hyperfocus on intelligent subjects. Not me.

All AS has done is damage. It made me a problem child, a lonely depressed teen, and a reserved, anxious, inattentive, eccentric adult.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:02 am

Joe90 wrote:
I am not ''more intelligent'' than the general population, otherwise why am I still stuck in a minimum-wage dead-end job while a lot of my NT peers seem to be in jobs they like and what they want to do?

Employment is determined by a lot more things than just intelligence. I've been tested at 137 IQ, but I've never been employed because I struggle with writing resumes, locating potential employers, and a bunch of other skills involved in finding work.

Besides, I don't think autism needs to give you superpowers to be worth keeping. I know a woman with cerebral palsy who would refuse a cure if offered, and she certainly doesn't have superpowers from her disability. People who don't want a cure are people who see their condition as an important part of their identity and have decent self-esteem. It doesn't matter what talents or impairments they have.

Of course, not wanting a cure doesn't mean not wanting help. I'd love to get job training appropriate for my needs. (Unfortunately, the only autism job training program in my area is aimed below my ability level and they think sensory issues are just bad behaviour.) I've also been working very hard to develop independent living skills. But if you offered me a cure, that would mean essentially killing me and replacing me with an NT who looks like me - and I'm not suicidal.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
SpacedOutAndSmiling wrote:
... To remove my autism would be to remove a large part of my personality. I'm not sure I would be "me" without it.
This, for the win!

Plenty of NTs are unhappy etc... My aim is to be autistically happy :)
Sigworthy!

That, to.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 4:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
... To remove my autism would be to remove a large part of my personality. I'm not sure I would be "me" without it.
This, for the win!

Plenty of NTs are unhappy etc... My aim is to be autistically happy :)
Sigworthy!
I cannot say it better. I just want to learn how to get the guy inside outside for others to see him. Not change into something else.

Whether it would ever come about, it should be a choice.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

brain_damage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

So you DON'T want to be able to process social information efficiently?

Honestly, I see autism purely as a lack of something. It is a handicap, and it adds nearly nothing.
Without autism, I'm sure I would live a much easier and more pleasurable life, maybe even be a succesful member of society.

It's like saying you'd rather be ugly. Sure, ugly people are probably more inclined to learn skills, to gain some recognition.

You may be proud on some compensatory behaviour, that got you ahead of NT's in a few area's. But life almost certainly is not as good as if you were NT.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 7:07 pm

brain_damage wrote:

Honestly, I see autism purely as a lack of something. It is a handicap, and it adds nearly nothing.
Without autism, I'm sure I would live a much easier and more pleasurable life, maybe even be a succesful member of society.

It's like saying you'd rather be ugly. Sure, ugly people are probably more inclined to learn skills, to gain some recognition.

You may be proud on some compensatory behaviour, that got you ahead of NT's in a few area's. But life almost certainly is not as good as if you were NT.
Ummm...what?

1.) who says such a thing would or could be that selective?
2.) I can learn things to compensate....what if removed my memory abilities, my ability to focus or leap to connections ahead of people?

Why is this so hard to understand? I am 55 years old. I am actually ok with ost aspects thnigs and need to address areas. Not a complete reworking.

I may feel different if I were lower functioning. I dunno, But, this is my preference.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 8:14 pm

brain_damage wrote:

Autism is more than just a lack of social instinct and abnormal processing of social information. It affects many different aspects of the brain. If it were just about socializing, I would feel differently about it. But it affects so many aspects of my personality.

Autism isn't just a disability. Autistic people perform better than NTs on certain tasks. There are some other positive aspects that I wouldn't want to be rid of. I like that I tend to think logically. I like that I pay attention to details that others miss. I like my obsessions (well, some of them). I like being able to focus for very long periods of time, when I block everything out, which some call "hyperfocusing."

And there are other personality traits that I think are common among people with ASD, but not universal. Like thinking for oneself and refusing to follow the crowd. Honesty is another one. I like being honest and straight-forward.

So I don't want to be rid of the things that I like about myself. Many of those things are likely caused by my having ASD.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 12:34 am

brain_damage wrote:

I pretty much agree.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 3:45 am

brain_damage wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Right.....
So I'm supposed to wail and whine about my peers selling stuff on the street as a job, being a mother before High School graduation, and marriage before 20? And acts like a reckless teen with a poor sense of responsibility because norm? Is that a better life?? Really?? :lol:
Because that's likely if I have the instinct, in my current culture and socioeconomic stand.

Instinct or no instinct, I can fulfill my needs, my wants, and my dreams. I don't need a petty charm to carry out my intentions and contribute to society.

With instinct, I can conform. With acting skills, I emulate the instinct and attempt to faux social skills.
With social skills, I can convince the people with inane ideas from an autistic mind, instinct or no instinct. There's a difference.

Sorry, but you're making me laugh and rant. I need the skills, willpower, and understanding, not the taken for granted 'skill' and mismatched desires.

And my aspergers is a blessing and curse of an opportunity.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

brain_damage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2016, 5:31 am

zkydz wrote:
Ummm...what?

1.) who says such a thing would or could be that selective?
2.) I can learn things to compensate....what if removed my memory abilities, my ability to focus or leap to connections ahead of people?

Why is this so hard to understand? I am 55 years old. I am actually ok with ost aspects thnigs and need to address areas. Not a complete reworking.

I may feel different if I were lower functioning. I dunno, But, this is my preference.

Yigeren wrote:
Autism is more than just a lack of social instinct and abnormal processing of social information. It affects many different aspects of the brain. If it were just about socializing, I would feel differently about it. But it affects so many aspects of my personality.

Autism isn't just a disability. Autistic people perform better than NTs on certain tasks. There are some other positive aspects that I wouldn't want to be rid of. I like that I tend to think logically. I like that I pay attention to details that others miss. I like my obsessions (well, some of them). I like being able to focus for very long periods of time, when I block everything out, which some call "hyperfocusing."

And there are other personality traits that I think are common among people with ASD, but not universal. Like thinking for oneself and refusing to follow the crowd. Honesty is another one. I like being honest and straight-forward.

So I don't want to be rid of the things that I like about myself. Many of those things are likely caused by my having ASD.

I'm not denying there are slight advantages.

- more brainpower reserved for focused thinking, specific memory
Sure it's something, but in the vast majority of cases, being able to process social information and see the bigger picture is much more useful to get ahead. Sure, autists may be better than NT's in some aspects, but these are simply not useful at all. Being prideful on this is purely a cope.
- honesty
Autists are in general more honest than NT's. In order to please yourself and others around you, pure honesty is just plain bad. It detracts from the message you want to convey to other people, in order to accurately present your thoughts and beliefs. I agree that it can be useful in some situations that people can be entirely sure of your intentions, but in most situations you will be seen as a low value person that is not able to influence attitudes of others.
- less risk of dying in injury
Autists spend more of their time indoors, and are less likely to die by doing risky activities to impress others, less chance of dying to terrorist attacks (due to avoiding crowded places).
On the other hand, the risk of suicide is MUCH greater. And the anxiety and depressions comorbidity has strong negative influence on cardiovascular health.

I'm not saying autism is entirely without merits, but the disadvantages massively outweigh them in almost all situations. Saying you would not want to be cured from this crippling condition is plain foolish in my eyes. To pass up on great possible benefits to quality of life, health, lifespan is beyond me. But I guess being content in a terrible poverty situation is one more positive trait of the autistic...

Please don't think I'm saying you should not make the best out of your current situation. It's just that if you claim you would not want a cure, you just don't know how large the advantages are of being NT.

Edna3362 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Right.....
So I'm supposed to wail and whine about my peers selling stuff on the street as a job, being a mother before High School graduation, and marriage before 20? And acts like a reckless teen with a poor sense of responsibility because norm? Is that a better life?? Really?? :lol:
Because that's likely if I have the instinct, in my current culture and socioeconomic stand.

Instinct or no instinct, I can fulfill my needs, my wants, and my dreams. I don't need a petty charm to carry out my intentions and contribute to society.

With instinct, I can conform. With acting skills, I emulate the instinct and attempt to faux social skills.
With social skills, I can convince the people with inane ideas from an autistic mind, instinct or no instinct. There's a difference.

Sorry, but you're making me laugh and rant. I need the skills, willpower, and understanding, not the taken for granted 'skill' and mismatched desires.

And my aspergers is a blessing and curse of an opportunity.

It's always good to delude yourself into positivity, but certain matters should be objectively and accurately judged.
The type of NT you are describing is coming from a very poor background, or with low skills/IQ/bad mental health. If these matters are supposedly beneath you, perhaps you are a high quality person in these respects. A low IQ/low functioning/bad background in combination with autism would be truly horrid. They would be abused and ridiculed, the lowest of the low, whereas their low quality NT counterparts would be mere teen moms or petty criminals (maybe considered slightly succesful in their native environment).

Just think how good your life would be if you'd be NT. NT does not reduce your IQ. It allows you to efficiently process social information and get into much better situations/opportunities in life. The only disadvantage would be that from being NT, you would have much higher standards in life. But you would have a much higher quality life to match this.

Last edited by brain_damage on 21 Apr 2016, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 6:22 am

brain_damage wrote:
The only disadvantage would be that from being NT, you would have much higher standards in life. But you would have a much higher quality life to match this.

I disagree. I gladly embrace all the downsides of my Autism because without them I wouldn't have any of my strengths either.

Also, I find that most NT adults are soulless compared a typical Aspie (as far as a typical Aspie exists). Most NTs seem to lose their "inner child" early in life, never to find it again (except when they have kids of their own, if they're lucky), whereas people with Autism tend to treasure their inner child and strongly identify with it.

The ability to experience the purity of childlike joy & wonder at any age (with or without having children of your own) is in my opinion one of the greatest perks of being Autistic... regardless of whether or not you have any special talents.

If I had to choose between death and losing my inner child, I'd choose the former without hesitation. IMO, worth is not worth living if you're no longer capable of experiencing the joy & wonder of a child.

_________

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 7:05 am

brain_damage wrote:
It's always good to delude yourself into positivity, but certain matters should be objectively and accurately judged.
The type of NT you are describing is coming from a very poor background, or with low skills/IQ/bad mental health. If these matters are supposedly beneath you, perhaps you are a high quality person in these respects. A low IQ/low functioning/bad background in combination with autism would be truly horrid. They would be abused and ridiculed, the lowest of the low, whereas their low quality NT counterparts would be mere teen moms or petty criminals (maybe considered slightly succesful in their native environment).

Just think how good your life would be if you'd be NT. NT does not reduce your IQ. It allows you to efficiently process social information and get into much better situations/opportunities in life. The only disadvantage would be that from being NT, you would have much higher standards in life. But you would have a much higher quality life to match this.

I don't say all NTs are like that in all backgrounds. But the said background is 60% of the country's population. And it's no delusion nor some idealist fantasy, it's happening. :lol: Otherwise I wouldn't say such.
I'm NOT an optimist by nature.. Nor a type of aspie who is driven by fear and survival. Nor an aspie who indulges in some sort of inferiority supperiority complex. :lol:

I surpassed people with privileges too, in terms of quality of life and seen a few unprivileged ones surpass me and everyone else. I've seen and even meet them. Got to know a few of them for a while, then it's just another memory...
And a TONS of LFs (Not just autistics) loved and being taken cared of by poor families who could never afford professional help. They're not treated like a curse, but a blessing worthy of burden than just another problem. It's different here, and I wish I could tell more someday.

Telling people you have desires of an NT, and want to be an NT, that I understand. And it's why I don't hate curebies, for being curebies, it's their choice, their desires and dreams.

Telling people to do the same is another. :) And the choices of doing so, along with the consequences.

NT's instinct with my aspie's "gift" in a higher socioeconomic standing?
Even just a day, for learning's sake sure. However, that NT would be a very ambitious opportunist. Something I strongly disapprove of. And something of my culture is trying to encourage to those who have the means... Crab mentality is an infamous norm of a flaw for the ambitious. Seen and met those kind of people too. Hell, even my relatives are towards another.
Take it as a sign of fear or chastity, or ignore it, it's how it's likely going to happen. In fact, I'm not afraid to admit that my conscience is the only thing that holds me back from it. :lol: So, would I rather be a predator then?.. For quality of life's sake??

I had my fulfilments (NT social-wise fulfillments) some I enjoyed and treasured, and some of those were not meant for me in the past and at this present, but sometime when I'm ready for it, or for someone else who deserves it better.
And some of those desires simply doesn't appeal me, not because I cannot have it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

3362 wrote:
And oh, Autism =/= Anxiety/Depression/PSTD = Actual consequences of a crappy life experience. Fact: I don't "suffer" from being an Aspie. And NTs can suffer too because life.

Hallelujah!

Or is it "Amen"?!

Whatever! That quote perfectly sums it up in my opinion.

brain_damage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2016, 7:37 am

aspiesavant wrote:
I disagree. I gladly embrace all the downsides of my Autism because without them I wouldn't have any of my strengths either.

Also, I find that most NT adults are soulless compared a typical Aspie (as far as a typical Aspie exists). Most NTs seem to lose their "inner child" early in life, never to find it again (except when they have kids of their own, if they're lucky), whereas people with Autism tend to treasure their inner child and strongly identify with it.

The ability to experience the purity of childlike joy & wonder at any age (with or without having children of your own) is in my opinion one of the greatest perks of being Autistic... regardless of whether or not you have any special talents.

If I had to choose between death and losing my inner child, I'd choose the former without hesitation. IMO, worth is not worth living if you're no longer capable of experiencing the joy & wonder of a child.

_________

I can understand what you are saying, and personally I feel the same.
However, if we were more understanding of the intricacies from NT communication, and if we would not be rejected so quickly by them, I think we could value their personalities and attitude much more.

I personally think alot of the dislike from some aspects of NT comes from emotional response, ignorance and prejudice.
If we had the proper information at hand, and we would reason more objectively, we may find more to like about NT behaviour.

Edna3362 wrote:
brain_damage wrote:

I don't say all NTs are like that in all backgrounds. But the said background is 60% of the country's population. And it's no delusion nor some idealist fantasy, it's happening. :lol: Otherwise I wouldn't say such.
I'm NOT an optimist by nature.. Nor a type of aspie who is driven by fear and survival. Nor an aspie who indulges in some sort of inferiority supperiority complex. :lol:

I surpassed people with privileges too, in terms of quality of life and seen a few unprivileged ones surpass me and everyone else. I've seen and even meet them. Got to know a few of them for a while, then it's just another memory...
And a TONS of LFs (Not just autistics) loved and being taken cared of by poor families who could never afford professional help. They're not treated like a curse, but a blessing worthy of burden than just another problem. It's different here, and I wish I could tell more someday.

Telling people you have desires of an NT, and want to be an NT, that I understand. And it's why I don't hate curebies, for being curebies, it's their choice, their desires and dreams.

Telling people to do the same is another. :) And the choices of doing so, along with the consequences.

NT's instinct with my aspie's "gift" in a higher socioeconomic standing?
Even just a day, for learning's sake sure. However, that NT would be a very ambitious opportunist. Something I strongly disapprove of. And something of my culture is trying to encourage to those who have the means... Crab mentality is an infamous norm of a flaw for the ambitious. Seen and met those kind of people too. Hell, even my relatives are towards another.
Take it as a sign of fear or chastity, or ignore it, it's how it's likely going to happen. In fact, I'm not afraid to admit that my conscience is the only thing that holds me back from it. :lol: So, would I rather be a predator then?.. For quality of life's sake??

I had my fulfilments (NT social-wise fulfillments) some I enjoyed and treasured, and some of those were not meant for me in the past and at this present, but sometime when I'm ready for it, or for someone else who deserves it better.
And some of those desires simply doesn't appeal me, not because I cannot have it.

I'm glad to hear you managed to live a decently fullfilling life, despite your handicap.

In my own environment, I see alot of autists (some of them my friends) struggling. They cannot find a good job. They cannot get a girlfriend. One of my friends is decent looking, yet is dating a horribly ugly and obese women. Due to his defunct social capacities he is not able to get anything better. These friends of mine also have a poor social life. They are depressed. Outside of their safe bubble, they are generally disliked and in low social standing. And mind you that these are all high IQ, highly responsible people, or I wouldn't find them in my university environment.

If their autism was cured, all of their main problems would be solved. They would be able to communicate sufficiently, and form strong enough human connections to be able to get and stay at a job at their level. They would be able to get a girlfriend that is around their level of attractiveness, they would be able to get a decent social life going, and they would not be disliked/ostracized in the social environments they venture in.

And what would they lose? Virtually nothing. As of now they spend some of their creative energy in crafting Dungeon and Dragons stories, and things like that, which they probably wouldn't have done if they had normal lives. Things like that give them pleasure, but they are not happy people.

And now we're just talking about the high functioning autists. I don't know alot of low functioning autists, but from relatives I know about one guy with autism and low IQ. He has no life of his own, and has to be walked around like a handicapped person. He is very depressed, and his life outlook is bleak.

Perhaps the autists I know are not representative for the autistic population, but it is not just a single individual whom I've observed. This is coming from ~5 people, including myself. None of them/us have a decent life going on, and we're all suffering.

I'm not telling people what they should do. It's just that I simply cannot fathom why somebody would not want to be freed from this terrible curse. Hanging on to being better in some unimportant abilities (in which you might have been just as good if you were NT), is pure coping behaviour.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 7:50 am

brain_damage wrote:
I personally think alot of the dislike from some aspects of NT comes from emotional response, ignorance and prejudice.
If we had the proper information at hand, and we would reason more objectively, we may find more to like about NT behaviour.

* I don't have anything against Black people, but I'm born White and I'm glad I'm White.
* I don't have anything against women, but I'm born a man and I'm glad I'm a man.
* I don't have anything against NT people, but I'm born Autistic and I'm glad I'm a Autistic.

Just like your race or gender comes with weaknesses and strengths alike, so does being Autistic.

I don't consider myself as either inferior or superior to others... just different... with my own unique combination of strengths and weaknesses, that correspond with my being White, male and Autistic.

I'm proud of my strengths and I embrace that my weaknesses are part of the whole package... that I wouldn't have my strengths if it weren't for those weaknesses.

I also embrace that NTs have different weaknesses... that they also wouldn't have their strengths if it weren't for their weaknesses.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 8:11 am

aspiesavant wrote:
3362 wrote:
And oh, Autism =/= Anxiety/Depression/PSTD = Actual consequences of a crappy life experience. Fact: I don't "suffer" from being an Aspie. And NTs can suffer too because life.

Hallelujah!

Or is it "Amen"?!

Whatever! That quote perfectly sums it up in my opinion.
Here's the thing. I see people here arguing this situation as if it is a right or wrong issue. Oddly enough, the people who are against it for themselves are the ones qualifying things as being for themselves.

It seems that the people for it, or against it, in broad terms are the ones arguing that it's good or bad.

It is an individual choice/wish for or against. To tell me or another that we're wrong by insisting the logic is flawed by way of saying how good it is in broad terms is just being argumentative. What's right for one is not always right for another. Nobody will 'catch' this so it is not a health issue for the populace like a vaccine is.

If you think it's great for you, fine. But, please phrase it as 'for you'. Do not assume you know what is good for me or another.

Think of it this way. If I had cancer (no, not comparing Autism or Asperger's with cancer, don't get defensive) and I'd been battling with it for a long time and tired and all, I still would want to make a decision based off what I thought was right for me. Cancer is horrible, cancer is painful and can just rob you of everything. But it is my choice as to the treatment I accept. It could be side effects, it could be anything. It is a personal choice. It just could be acceptance.

Until I read the above quote, I had not realized my actual position for presentation. I mean,l I knew it, but couldn't put it into words.

I too do not see it as suffering from the disorder. I see it as suffering from lack of understanding my life. This is all new, that time when you want things to just go away. I do not have that thought. I embrace.

I have just been living under a wrong assumption of how my life should work. I've been running the wrong race all along. It is choices.

My choice is not for you or others. But for the people arguing for the cure, as if we are wrong to make this choice, we are not right or wrong. Even though a cure is not reality, we choose not to think of it as an insurmountable problem.

That is why I say a cure could make sense for people. See? I am not disagreeing with you on principle.There are people who could benefit. But for me, and the people who say otherwise, we just do not want it. Some of us may change our minds.

But, the cure doesn't exist. It is being argued as if it did and there were no side effects.

I too am not suffering from Asperger's. I am suffering by not getting the correct manual for how my life would work. That's what needs to be cured. And, that portion of how society treats this is being addressed and progress is being made. We will soon have better manuals for people from the get go. But, that would not help the more severe cases. Again, not for everyone.

To those on both sides of the issue that are saying 'for me', thank you. That makes it a personal choice and the opinion is informative but not forceful or argumentative.

For those arguing as if this fictional cure is a panacea and is good for everybody, you do not have that right to make a choice for anybody else. What's good for you may not, and most probably not, be good for others. Also, arguing for the need for a cure to used by everybody, when there is none to be had is foolish at best.

It doesn't exist.

All medical procedure have a side effect. So, until we have a cure, and until we know side effects, I am not even going to entertain it other than a 'what if'. And I will only put forth opinions as to how it relates to my position for me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13