Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

minetruly
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm

I know that different people are going to have different preferences. Just shout out which one you think is best!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 12:47 am

My two favourites are the spaghetti ball, and the fuzzy tangle, linked below.

http://www.officeplayground.com/Spaghet ... Ag9x8P8HAQ

http://www.officeplayground.com/Tangle- ... Ai1b8P8HAQ

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 12:52 am

I actually carry a baby teething toy with me, that helps with oral fixation.

A Stress ball is always good, a rubix cube or personally one of my sonic figures.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:35 am

I'm liking the sobriety chip - good size and weight, raised text for texture, easy thickness to flicker through my fingers, makes a good noise when tapped, strong good associations and symbolism with people, actions & philosophies, subtle and not obviously weird to an outside observer, versatile in how it can be fiddled with.
Suppose it depends on what you like - textile feel? Sound? Colour? Psychological connection?

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2016, 9:42 am

I've never used it myself, but it has a pretty good star rating from a decent number of reviewers -Link-.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

I have a star bracelet that I wear and fiddle with. I also have two swinging Lego pieces that click together and make rhythmic sounds. Um...what else...? Oh! I have a...I don't know what to call it. :lol: It's a fiddly twisty thing that can move around in many different positions.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm

I didn't know those spinner rings were a proper stim thing - I bought one from a Buddhist temple, the idea being that spinning the little prayer symbols on the band focused the mind on reciting or just remembering the prayers themselves. In that sense, a catholic prayer ring would likely serve similarly, with the little nodules on it for keeping track.
Why are so many of these things chewable? Is it that common among autistics? The idea makes my blood cold. I have a bad habit of clenching my teeth and I even hate that. Gah.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 6:07 pm

C2V wrote:
Why are so many of these things chewable? Is it that common among autistics? The idea makes my blood cold. I have a bad habit of clenching my teeth and I even hate that. Gah.

My theory is that clenching your teeth creates pressure on your skull, which calms your brain. My own stims involve only my own body parts - for example I'll squeeze my hands, or press against my head - but fiddling with objects does nothing for me, because I can't feel what the object feels. (I guess I'm the thing that needs to be squeezed and prodded!)

I agree though, teeth clenching is not good for you, so it's best to try to find less harmful stims.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 8:42 pm

I love smooth glass beads and soft plush animals. I also love pieces of fabric, especially soft fleecy kinds or thick velvet or textures like that. If they are small like fabric or beads or even small plushies you can take them anywhere and be very discreet while you play with them.

Wreck It Ralph

minetruly
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2016, 12:34 am

Christmas money, GONE!! ! :D

Thank you, tetris and Startrekker!

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 12:49 am

Did I see this here? If not, this may be useful for low key fiddling.