Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2016, 3:43 pm

Are you scared of needles in general like having blood drawn or getting shots?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

I'm mostly "scared" of the person behind the needle.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Only of needless ones.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:46 pm

Sort of. So I became a blood donor. Because masochism is the new sexy.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm

I'm not scared of doctor's needles.

But I'm really scared of dentist's needles.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm

i always get my blood drawn from my hands. the closer a needle gets to my core, the less i like it. it's like being invaded.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:41 pm

Not especially.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:59 pm

I normally don't mind needles but have had some anxiety having my blood drawn sometimes and I don't know why. The needle doesn't really bother me, but I guess maybe its just going a while without having it done makes me forget its really not that bad. I am accustom to hospital stays and have a long medical history for reasons I suppose I'll keep private but I am sure a few of you already know. So when I am in that zone of being hospitalized every other week, I get used to hospital scene, including getting blood drawn. Its only when I go a few months without doing it that makes me nervous.

Oh what the hell, I'll mention why I got hospitalized so much. I am ex drug user but I have been clean for a while and don't plan on relapsing. If anyone judges me for the past, they can get lost.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 7:00 pm

I avoid doctors and dentists.
As a child I had a bid hurting wrat on my left ball of foot.
I operated it out with a scissor myself, needed a couple attempts but I got it out, it was bleeding like hell.
But it never came back.
But I have put acupuncture needles into my own body myself to release physical pain.
Like Fnord wrote I am not afraid of needles but the person behind thus I avoid the person behind but put my own needles when necessary or perform my own minor operations.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

Yes, well sort of. Not needles in themselves but seeing or feeling a needle go into my skin or worse, directly in a vain and taking blood is unbearable to me. It will either make me faint or wriggle around uncontrollably. It's a horrific sensation I get all over my body.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:10 pm

No, not at all.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

... Yes.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:00 am

the anticipation of the needle is scary because i dont know whats going to happen but once the needles in i dont mind. sometimes i get a bit dizzy but if i were to get a blood test right now or a vaccination it wouldnt bother me so much.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2016, 2:09 am

Fnord wrote:
I'm mostly "scared" of the person behind the needle.

I find that this is the same for me. After years of refinement of the creation of the needle and the metal I don't find myself afraid of the needle. I am afraid about worker incompetence or error.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:11 am

No, but I don't like it. Especially an IV which goes across the arm instead of straight down.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:37 am

Some years back I'd faint giving blood. I could look at the needle, see it going in and it wouldn't bother me emotionally at all. But still my body would react very strongly. I'd start to sweat, get nauseous...it just felt like my body was reacting to being invaded somehow. And then I'd get light-headed and just...check out. No meditation I could do helped because in my head I really didn't think or feel like it bothered me emotionally. Then around seven years ago I had to start giving myself a weekly injection. With a big, long needle. At first it was so bad I'd sit on the floor or couch to do it so that when I was finished I could just lie down on the floor in a cold sweat with the room spinning, hoping I didn't vomit. Ten or twenty minutes later I'd feel wiped out but better. Same thing happened when I had to do blood tests, at first. But over time it lessened. And now it's a complete non-event. Clearly desensitization, but to what, I wonder? So much of my childhood is blocked in my memory & my folks won't talk about it or claim to not remember...