Just diagnosed with high functioning Autism...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 5:34 pm

Just diagnosed with high functioning Autism. I feel relieved to finally have a DX that fits. Previously I have been dx'd with SAD, GAD, Dysthymia, Cyclothymia, and a few more trivial disorders.

The psychologist I have now, I cannot ever be more grateful. Most of us I assume know we are 'off', and I knew it was more than just depression or anxiety. He believes there were so many misdiagnoses because I were so high functioning (military, school, etc). It wasn't without most of my days being a waking nightmare I suffered through. Many days wondering what I'm going to do.

Now, with the diagnoses, I don't feel so bad to be me and have to keep wondering why I am the way I am.

It's like a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest, I can accept myself a lot more now knowing I am not crazy and the way I am has a reason.

Do those who've been diagnosed also find it relieving?

What's the next step?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 5:46 pm

To me, the next step is to live your life, do research on HFA, hang out on WP.

The most important item: live your life.

Don't let the diagnose give you the impression that you "disordered," "ret*d," or whatever. Don't let it prevent you from pursuing your dreams.

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I totally get that, no doubt about it.

This diagnoses definitely is more relieving for me. All my life I been made fun of for various social inadequacies. I thought I just couldn't get it. I struggled through school, in social situations. Now I know why.

Now I want to get treated correctly and feel better, if that's possible. Not feel like it's my fault all the time. But realize I am not like everyone else and that's okay. Not blame myself anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 5:55 pm

Probably the only "treatment" for high-functioning autism is various forms of therapy, plus medication for such co-morbids as ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc.

The autism, in and of itself, doesn't require medication. It requires that you use your cognition to adjust to the world around. Many people with HFA achieve success.

As you get older, you will definitely learn to adjust to your autism, especially as it pertains to relating to other people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 6:00 pm

In what way as your autism affected you in recent times?

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 6:14 pm

I'm 30 now. I still have trouble with social interaction. I constantly feel awkward, and are oblivious to peoples intentions. Was she being nice, flirting, think I'm a total idiot? I really don't do well in a group, but flourish at any objective a lone. Group activities can be okay if it's structured.

I medicate for the depression and anxiety now. It does help.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 6:16 pm

Do you have any extra-special special interests?

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 6:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In what way as your autism affected you in recent times?

I don't get social conventions. Can't figure out peoples intentions. Think someone is fine with my presence when they're annoyed. Socially awkward, and find I have no interest in social activities. Which keeps me isolated a lot. I don't like social gatherings and it completely zaps my energy trying to keep up and process all the activity. It's overwhelming and stimulating and 100% confusing. I don't care about the same things as other people. I don't express myself correctly. I come off as abrasive and rude when I am not meaning to. I am just very honest.

I can't focus and am obsessive compulsive. I have to have order and clean a lot. The cleaning calms me, but annoys family members. I have odd rituals on how I start my day.

Just so much I could list... Thats some to start with.

So, the isolation has affected me. The different way I think and trying to converse with family. I think the way they think is illogical and they think the way I think is irrational. Just really a sitcom of life.

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2016, 6:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you have any extra-special special interests?

By trade computer networking and computers in general. The puzzle keeps me focused and engaged and settles my mind. I love computers/technology and would very much love to have a job in that field. However, I can't seem to finish school or get a degree. I am intellectually capable, but struggle otherwise.

I don't mind working, I did 3 years in the Army just fine. But again, it was very structured and I loved being a soldier. But monotonous jobs that are mundane and 'un-challenging' is what I can get and seem to fail at quickly.

Plus, a lot of people notice that I am different and seem to be very put off with me. And it typically creates a place I don't feel welcomed or want to be. Especially being in the south.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 6:45 pm

Why don't you re-enlist? Or perhaps become a Reservist?

It seems, perhaps, that maybe you shouldn't have even left the Army.

I haven't met too many people who "enjoy" being a soldier.

Are you employed at present? Please: let me emphasize that I won't judge you if you say you're not employed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:17 pm

I found getting a diagnosis very relieving. When I pretend to be typical instead of doing it to correct a "wrong" like I used to I do for strategic reasons.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

05 May 2016, 6:47 am

You found the right place. There is plenty of great advice to be found from the other members. We have shared experiences which lets us know that we are not alone in this world. Good luck, your journey is just beginning.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

OnTheGrind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2016, 9:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why don't you re-enlist? Or perhaps become a Reservist?

It seems, perhaps, that maybe you shouldn't have even left the Army.

I haven't met too many people who "enjoy" being a soldier.

Are you employed at present? Please: let me emphasize that I won't judge you if you say you're not employed.

I would love to honestly, but physically I could not do it anymore. Believe me, those were the best times of my life. Wife, Child, Career, Money.

I cannot re-enlist, I am a Re-Enlistment code 3, which means I would need a medical waiver. My discharge was Honorable under medical conditions. I was med boarded out for injuries I received. I get VA benefits and live off of those, though I still need financial support from my family. But it allows me some freedom and alleviates the full financial burden on my family.

ASPartOfMe: Yes. For me also. Now I know how to plan an attack to help myself get some relief.

goatfish57: I know no two "autisms" are the same. But, all in all we all have a lot in common and I don't have to feel so odd and awkward here. I can express myself freely, my ideas, and people will understand!