Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 12:51 am

Smart, stupid, can't multi-task, dreamer, detail oriented, OCDish, perfectionist, intense, blunt, funny, articulate, artsy, geek, weird, autistic, not autistic, bipolar, depressed, anxious, quiet, loud and a whole bunch of other contradictions.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:08 am

Hm

One girl described me once as "a person with lots of interesting stories, but never tells them to anyone". I'm a mystery to a lot of people I guess, they don't understand my behavior. I get both positive and negative connotations to it, some people think I'm shifty and sociopathic. I'm often described as very intelligent as well. When I was younger many thought I was shy or stuck up/arrogant.

My mother often calls me a perfectionist.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:29 am

Ok, this is how I think people perceive or have perceived me based upon information I've gathered over the years:

As a kid:

1. Bad (as in behavior)
2. Dorky
3. Weird
4. Smart
5. Funny/silly
6. Creative/talented

As an adult:

Physical appearance:

1. Small
2. Cute
3. Young
4. Confused/bewildered
5. Angry/depressed

Personality:

1. Odd, weird, unusual, eccentric
2. Socially awkward
3. Immature
4. Callous/selfish/mean/insensitive
5. Inflexible/unyielding/stubborn
6. Intelligent
7. Talented
8. Perfectionistic

Some of these things are true, and some are not.

A lot of my behaviors are misinterpreted by others, and they don't actually know what my real personality is like underneath.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:50 am

Varies from "Smart", "Intelligent", "Strong", to "Odd", "Crazy", "Weird".

But a little more than just that, I end up with "Child-like", "Innocent", "Moody", "Tomboy", "Silent", and sometimes a "Daredevil".

And a bit more specific than that, it ends up with "The girl who walks in miles with/out an umbrella", "The girl who is actually older than she look", "The girl who dumps everyone". :lol: "The girl who talks to herself while she walks", "The girl who always buy chocolates/ice cream".

I could care less as long as no ones bothering me, or treating me as equally.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 7:35 am

People think of me as a Raging Wolfman....and run as fast as they can away from me!

Especially when my fangs get to be their full size....

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I don't even know what detail oriented is supposed to mean. I've been described like that before, but I'm not sure I am. What I do know is that I'm a huge perfectionist. That could be seen as detail oriented to some people.

Until a couple of years ago, I didn't understood what it meant either. In fact, I always thought I was the opposite (because I was so good at systems thinking).

But then, when I was going through my diagnosis process, I began to think about what others would write or say about me during my adult life. And, invariably they would talk about me being really detail oriented. Then, one day I was meeting with someone who I previously worked with and he told me that I was the most detailed oriented person he had ever met.

So, what does it mean? I guess that my head is ALWAYS in the details. I do a lot of system design in my work (creating software systems). I am constantly thinking through the systems I am designing/building. I can actually see these systems from multiple perspectives (data perspective, data flow perspective, user interface perspective, component perspective) and I can model scenarios in the system in my head. I can change parameters and watch how these permutations in one part of the system impact others.

I guess, for a car mechanic, it's like being able to visualize all the components of a car and then visually press the accelerator and being able -- in slow motion -- see how different components are impacted by that single press of the accelerator. Of course, software systems are different. As they are simply abstractions.

In any event, I had thought everyone could do this. What I learned is this is a special capability that most people I work with do not possess. Because I live in those details, I can see weak points in the systems I am designing/building and identify problems well before others are aware something is wrong.

One final note. Temple Grandin describes her thinking style as follows: “All my thinking is bottom-up instead of top-down. I find lots of little details and put them together to form concepts and theories”. This better than anything describes my thinking pattern as well. And, if I understand correctly, normal people refer to this tendency as being detail-oriented.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

"A stinking ret*d who's always crying". It took me about fifteen years to begin to grasp what he meant, and even longer to start feeling how right he was and the ensuing, absolute shame.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
"A stinking ret*d who's always crying". It took me about fifteen years to begin to grasp what he meant, and even longer to start feeling how right he was and the ensuing, absolute shame.

You're not a ret*d, that's for sure. I'm not sure whether or not you stink. Crying isn't really a bad thing. I have no control over my crying. It's just that my nervous system responds very strongly to emotions.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm

descriptions of me ive gotten are:
-unique
-creative
-awkward
-gifted (i hate this one the most it feels demeaning to me in a weird way, even more than awkward)

i like being called unique! i had to do an assignment in class and the girl i was paired with said that i was unlike anyone shes ever met and i thought that was awesome :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 1:13 am

lots of people think i'm angry/annoyed/detached. "mysterious", "standoffish", "cold".

but in actuality i am a lot like steel. if there is enough time and energy to warm up then i'm not so rigid and distant.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 1:18 am

People tend to describe me based on my physical appearance and intelligence. That's really it.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

Quote:
Others think I take drugs.

This is what people thought of me in highschool because of how I dressed, acted, spoke, and seemed oblivious to the fact that other people were actually there at all. I wasn't on drugs, for the record, just a weirdo. I've learned to blend in a little better as I've aged, but sometimes I suspect I still stick out I'm other ways.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

It's run the gamut for me like what I've read here. I think it depends on who you are around and what they are looking for.

If I'm with less than stellar intellect, I'm stuck up or a snob.

If I'm with someone who needs a problem solved, I'm smart and attentive.

If I'm with others that just rub me wrong, I'm either mean, selfish or arrogant.

If I'm with someone who can't fix the problem and then gets upset when I do, then I'm someone who ran over them to 'climb to the top'.

Which is actually hilarious because all I managed to do is claw my way to the bottom and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So, as in all things what they see varies. And the awkwardness just makes things worse all the way around.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 6:09 am

Very withdrawn and incommunicado. And fidgety.

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2016, 9:12 am

EzraS wrote:
Very withdrawn and incommunicado. And fidgety.

oh! thats one i forgot to add! im very fidgety as well :^P

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

donaar
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2016, 9:41 am

When I ask people to describe me in one word most say that I'm "eccentric" or nerdy

Aq: 37