Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 4:32 am

i was just wondering how many of you suffer fromt he "Meltdowns" and particualy the older As sufferers out thier the ones that are 19 or older, i was wodnering coz though i have not had AS diagnosed yet i feel that i do have it as i have so many of the traits except that i dont have meltdowns and i was wondering if syptoms change as ya get older ie have meltdowns when ya younger but as ya get older they stop and by stop i mean calm down or change to aggression

and also i was wondering if syptoms of AS can come and go and by this i mean have then for years and then they stop for a couple of years and restart again a few years later

coz i have insomia which when i was younger was AMAZINGLY bad ie arount he age of 5 i would stay up til 11pm or even later just being hyperactive and everything then sleep a couple of hours and then start being hyperactive again but it stopped while i was at school but for the last few years it has come back and gets worse all the time during the easter holidays my night "routine" would be to be up til at least 12am sometimes staying up til 3am then go to sleep and wake up at like 7am and its killing me, i think it might have something to do with my mindgraines (spelt wrong)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:42 am

I think I actually have meltdowns, but they are more subtle than a lot of people describe. If they ARE meltdowns, you might not realize that they are.

MY insomnia was worse than yours, and also went away. I think it might be nutrition or work based. BTW I HAVE had the insomnia come back.

Steve

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 5:48 am

my insomnia might be diet based as i have a VERY POOR diet but thats coz im very fussy so i only eat food i like (which aint healthy food either) did your insomnia go away after it came back or do ya still have it

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 5:51 am

What are meltdowns?
I've heard of them but I still don't really understand what it means

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:06 am

I have cognitive meltdown. I can be overloaded and them my head goes caput and I'm sort of not there sounds gabled and are meaningless, nothing means anything I'm just there.

I have panic attacks occasionally. These are more traumatic because they usually accompanied with sickness, hyperventilating and severe cramps in my legs, finger and jaw. I'm sort of buckled over, the lockjaw actually counter my hyperventilating but it was pretty scary the first time. Lots of people think they can't breathe when they hyperventilating. I believe my cognitive meltdown compounded the problem which brought on the panic attacks. So I consider the cognitive meltdown more of a problem.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:07 am

Sopho_soph wrote:
What are meltdowns?
I've heard of them but I still don't really understand what it means

Meltdowns are a reaction to stress(which I HAVE), and can almost cause a part of your brain to shut down(which happens with me), and can cause stims and emotional reactions(Neither of which I have).

They are often very temporary.

Kellaway225,

I had them earlier, and then it all but dissappeared. When I used acytl-l-carnitine, it came back with a VENGENCE, just like when I was a little kid!

Steve

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:11 am

SteveK wrote:
Meltdowns are a reaction to stress(which I HAVE), and can almost cause a part of your brain to shut down(which happens with me), and can cause stims and emotional reactions(Neither of which I have).

They are often very temporary.

Thanks for explaining.
I googled it but only found information on kids, although those descriptions did fit me as a child.
I do have meltdowns then, I just never knew what it was. Mine aren't as severe as the person a couple of posts up though. I think I usually get this due to noise. But then other times I think I'm just stressed from a combination of things, which could contribute to it.

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 6:13 am

i guess i could have them, though mine are more like aggression i always wondered i why i get so aggressive even if i dont want to and when im stressed on my computer i can become very aggressive and shout all the swear words i know with out being able to control it and i tend to try and break things

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:14 am

Kellaway225 wrote:
i guess i could have them, though mine are more like aggression i always wondered i why i get so aggressive even if i dont want to and when im stressed on my computer i can become very aggressive and shout all the swear words i know with out being able to control it and i tend to try and break things

I get exactly that as well.
But I'm not an aggressive person in general so it always used to seem really weird.

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 6:16 am

Sopho_soph wrote:
Kellaway225 wrote:

I get exactly that as well.
But I'm not an aggressive person in general so it always used to seem really weird.

i dont think im generally aggressive but then thiers times when ive nearly killed 2 people coz of it

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2007, 7:00 am

I too was curious as to what a ''Meltdown'' was. Now that I know, I can certainly recognise occasions where i've had them, usually when some item of technology is being disagreeable or (most often) when my 'alone time' is frequently disrupted.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2007, 7:14 am

I dont know if I meltdown either because im not too sure what it means. I know that I react to extreme stress and before I was 11 I would usually end up fighting with whoever was the cause. But at 12 years old at a new school It was quite obvious I was outnumbered and outgunned because everyone was so much older then I started to shutdown instead because I wouldve got hurt. I seen some pretty brutal fights at that age with knives people getting their face slashed so changing probably saved my life.

I do feel like im melting down inside but I try not to show it at all costs. Maybe its obvious to other people when I do meltdown but I dont know I never asked I am just too busy focusing my eyes on a single point in space trying to end all thoughts and blurring all the sounds around me. It dont completely work but the more I manage to detach myself from whats going on all around me the more calm I will appear to myself and hopefully to other people.

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2007, 7:54 am

Kellaway225 wrote:
i i can become very aggressive and shout all the swear words i know with out being able to control it and i tend to try and break things

I do the same thing. My stupid ex-shrink actually laughed when I told her of my concerns about my swearing at inanimate objects (I'm terribly mean to my computer and vacuum cleaner). I don't break things anymore, but I used to as a young adult. My meltdowns now consist of swearing at objects or at no one in particular (sometimes myself -- I can be mean to myself as well), and brief but intense mini tantrums that blow over quickly. I also go blank when confronted with too much stimuli -- almost like I'm frozen.

Regarding insomnia, I've had it since early childhood. There are periods when I will stay awake for two or three days at a time.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:04 am

I've broken quite a lot of things before through anger.
And I constantly swear at my computer, not as much anymore though. I used to call him allsorts of horrible things and then apologise later :(

invivo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2007, 8:52 am

I get them, either a simple overload, which means I must get away from people or I get the feeling society forces itself onto me, then I get it too, but with added aggression

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:53 am

I don't think I ever had the traditional AS meltdown, in which I lost awareness of what I was doing, but I have been known to go on for a long time when angry. I regret the pain I caused my family when doing it. When I think back to what I used to be, I cannot be happy about myself. Everybody tells me how much better I am today, but I don't think of myself as being any better. I have just learned to keep things to myself. I don't really see it as a sign of improvement.