Comorbidity of AS with delusional thinking

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

coconut910
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2016, 4:05 pm

Hey everyone,

the question's very simple : can an aspie with ,let's say depression and who's under anti-depressants, have delusionalk troubles such as erotomania (this one's the most important for me to know ...)

Thnks ^^

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 4:10 pm

It is unlikely that you could fund a study large enough to find that out with any useful confidence level.

I was just reading how someone applied for Zitka transmission study years ago that would have been really useful today.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/health/fi ... index.html

coconut910
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

ok thks, another opinions ?

mattdens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2016, 6:45 pm

I doubt Depression or antidepressants would cause any significant contribution to something such as Erotomania, however, Mania as experienced in the case of Bipolar Disorder perhaps could manifest in Erotomanic delusions.
As far as Aspergers goes, it is possible that misunderstandings regarding various relationships and social interactions could mimic Erotomania, in so far as, an aspie could potentially mistake the behaviour of another person for signs of romantic interest.
A lot of it would depend on the severity of the delusion, if it's something such as the classic delusion of someone believing that a famous person is in love with them, despite having never met nor seen them, then I'd say it would be a completely separate issue from Autism or Depression.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Feb 2016, 11:51 pm

I had that problem before & after I started an antidepressant. I don't think antidepressants usually cause erotomania but antidepressants usually wouldn't help it. Antipsychotics are used to treat delusional disorders like erotomania.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 1:22 am

What is erotomania? Is it similar to nymphomania?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Feb 2016, 1:59 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
What is erotomania? Is it similar to nymphomania?
Erotomania is a type of delusional disorder where the affected person believes that another person is in love with him or her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

coconut910
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2016, 3:39 am

Ok thank you all ^^

As far as antidpressatns are concerned, maybe i have not formulated my question the best way ...

In fact, i just wanted to know if someone with AS could also erotomania, and take antidepressants for this reason or another (the prescription of meds could be prior to the appearance of erotomania ...)

For those who were asking, no it's ont someone famous, it's someone from the scolar/professional environment of the person with AS ...

I have already posted the whole story, if you want the link feel free to ask :) !

coconut910
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2016, 8:09 am

Since my topic has been moved, are there more people to help me ?

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2016, 8:34 am

Particular people (specially people with rather unusual neurology) could possibly be sensitive to antidepressent and be catapulted into unusual states of mind by taking them (some go outright apes**t).
my advise to the person of question would be to stop taking the antidepressants. I'm a rather reasonable person who went really really psychotic (read apes**t) on lexapro and kinda never came back. Antidepressants aren't for everyone, and certain people should stay away from them at all cost. or they will end up as loonies. I have seen several people who have went down that route. particularly this very smart guy who took some crappy SSRI for OCD And ended up needing 700mg of seroquel and 7 mg of risperdal and lots of Lithium and he wasn't really ok even on THOSE. I mean he was still smart but kinda "unusual".

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:41 am

nick007 wrote:
Erotomania is a type of delusional disorder where the affected person believes that another person is in love with him or her.

This explains my marriage.

coconut910
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

ok nothing more ?