Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2016, 4:48 am

I have no interest in socializing.

It's not that I don't like people or that I don't understand them ( Mostly ) I just don't feel the need.

As a child I wanted friends , but struggled because I was bossy and moody and it pissed the other kids off.
So I mostly hung out with the family dog.

At high school I changed school 5 times and was bullied where I lived and also at school which made me miserable and

eventually suicidal.

I did make some nice friends, but when I changed schools I didn't particularly miss them.

I just got in touch with some old school friends via facebook, and some want to meet up, but I couldn't think of anything worse.

I talk to my neighbour occasionally, and call my 2 sisters every few weeks. other than my kids and husband, that's my whole world right there.
I can be quite chatty at home, much to the annoyance of my hubby and kids, who say I go on a bit and talk over them.

Except for my sons carers who take him out 5 day a week. I speak to them briefly. This is more than enough social stimulation for me. Even sometimes i feel overwhelmed when my kids talk when i'm in a spaced mood. I am happy in my bubble. :lol:

I don't particularly feel anxious around people even, but I know i would rather be home than speaking to people

I have not been formally diagnosed as being ASD, although I am considering it. And scored highly on the AQ test.
Any thoughts ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:49 am

In my opinion, as long as you're raising your kids right, I don't see a problem with "not wanting to socialize."

I'm the type who likes to stay home, watch TV, and hang out on WP.

I don't have an impending desire to go to parties or other social events--though I like doing things like go bowling.

All in all, as long as you're taking care of yourself and your kids, I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

All 6 of my kids are grown up almost. The oldest is 27 and the youngest is almost 16.
I have did my best to raise them well and raise them as individual people and not a group of
MY kids.
They all embrace there individuality and love their personal quirks . They all love the idea of
being unique .
They treat people as they wish to be treated and don't stick there nose up at anyone.
They also agree to disagree instead of being argumentative. They understand not to poo poo other peoples ideas and thoughts.
I have encouraged them to be outgoing and very polite.
I always knew to raise them in way to avoid them taking on my personal hang ups or phobias, and encouraged them by giving them the tools to make their own decisions.
We are not perfect and we have our moments of discord. We are however close and they all know they can talk to me , maybe not for deep emotional support, but for a logical plan of action

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm

It sounds like you've been a success as a person. If you don't want to socialize, don't force yourself too. But always be decent to people.

To be honest, I'm curious: what is your impression of Glasgow?

I've been to Edinburgh--nice city!