High functioning autism and Adapative functioning

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

21 Feb 2016, 11:09 am

zkydz wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
High IQ is disabling while around with other people with lower IQ.
I tell you from long experience.
You can understand it only if you have high IQ.

Yeah, the IQ is not the disability I see here. I see arrogance because you say people can only understand if they have high IQ. With that attitude, you will certainly alienate people.

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Having high IQ feels like if you were living in the middle of monkeys who laugh at you when you speak, because you do not say "hoo hoo hoo hoo". Then you have to translate your language into "hoo hoo s" ...exhausting.
And, again, you don't seem to understand that this is a completely arrogant position to take. You assume that others do not understand because they are not smart. So, yeah, it ain't the brains, it's the attitude.


QED



JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,296
Location: Kent, UK

21 Feb 2016, 11:50 am

I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


_________________
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen. " - Special Agent Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks


LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

21 Feb 2016, 12:00 pm

JakeASD wrote:
I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


I am not proclaiming the rest of the world. I am saying (what is true) here for the sole purpose of proving the adaptive disability of being high IQ. And the previous response to my post was confirming it i.e..

In my life, i know that showing you are clever is disabling as showed above, it triggers misunderstanding and assumption that you are "arrogant". That is why i pretend to be stupid all the time, it works very good, people like it. It prevents "bitings" :)



Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2016
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 412
Location: UK

21 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

Study skills include organization, planning (for a project, say), staying on task, following a structure, meeting the requirements of a task. I would say there's a lot of executive function there being taught - if the student agrees to learn it.


From the beginning of primary school to the end of my Masters I wasn't given any study skills lessons. I live in a neighbourhood which is not known for it's good education so my guess is that study skills just weren't taught here. Then at university I think they assumed we must have already learned that stuff before we began so it wasn't taught there either. It was only when I went on to train in teaching that I finally got to learn about how to study and learn. That said, I know this has changed considerably since I was in school - my son has had lots of support in understanding learning methods and study skills.




JakeASD wrote:
I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


I think talking about a high IQ in this context is OK. I don't think LaetiBlabla is being arrogant - just saying how it affects her/him.


_________________
"That's no moon - it's a spacestation."

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)


zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

21 Feb 2016, 12:52 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
In my life, i know that showing you are clever is disabling as showed above, it triggers misunderstanding and assumption that you are "arrogant". That is why i pretend to be stupid all the time, it works very good, people like it. It prevents "bitings" :)

Since you choose to reference my reply without saying anything other than it's a misunderstanding, well, that would be wrong. I am saying that you came here saying that (1) being smart is a disability. That makes no sense as intelligence does not stop you from doing anything. Then you say (2) that others are not smart enough to understand you.

That is an arrogant assumption. And, instead of trying to explain, you just pass it off and a 'misunderstanding'. The implication is that I am too stupid (and others) to understand you.

It is not a misunderstanding based on what you say. You may have the problem I have in that what you want to say is not what comes out. But, to assume others are not smart enough to understand is arrogance.

I will tell you like I say to others. If EVERYONE has the same trouble, and you are the only common denominator, then maybe you should evaluate what you are really saying and not what you mean. And, try doing it without denigrating others.

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
I think talking about a high IQ in this context is OK. I don't think LaetiBlabla is being arrogant - just saying how it affects her/him.
I would disagree in this specific way: LaetiBlabla has specifically said that others treat him/her badly because he/she is smart. Instead of clarifying, as most here will do, he/she is just saying the same thing without any examples or anything else. And, when you are saying that all people are this way, and never looking to see if it may be a communication error, then that is arrogance.

I've tried to work around the bad English. English is obviously the second or third language at play here. But instead of adapting, or even trying to adapt to make something better understood, he/she is exhibiting the very behaviour being described.

I get it. I'm usually three or more steps ahead of people in almost all interactions. But, I have to work my ass off to be understood. When I can find a way for them to understand, then it's good. But, it is my communications that are off. Not their reception of information.

Maybe I do have to dumb it down sometimes because not everyone is technical or whatever. But it is exhausting. I am tired of doing it. I am tired of being misunderstood.

But, it is my problem to overcome because I do not communicate the same way others receive it. It is not intelligence that gets in my way. It is the communication issues. It is because people can see my intelligence that they probably put up with all my other crap.

Autism is the disability, not the intelligence.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


Last edited by zkydz on 21 Feb 2016, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,609
Location: Pacific Northwest

21 Feb 2016, 12:54 pm

With a high IQ, it feels like everyone around you is slow so you are surrounded by a bunch of idiots who can't get simple things. Also you get bored in class because work is too easy and you have to listen to the teacher talk about assignments and you already get it and when a teacher explains a math problem, you already get it but you are forced to sit there and listen. No wonder why kids with high IQs tend to get into trouble. Then there are kids who have low self esteem because they feel dumb so they feel better by being mean to the intelligent child and bullying them.

But IMO if the child was pushing their smarts on them and making them feel bad by calling them dumb and stuff and being all critical about them not knowing things at their level and understanding things at their level, then they don't deserve respect.

I can understand why it might be seen as a disability by some because these children need to be accommodated by being given more challenging school work. Like instead of doing 3rd grade math like their other classmates, they are doing 5th grade math and reading at the seventh grade level.


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,458
Location: Lost Angleles Carmen Santiago

21 Feb 2016, 1:20 pm

In general, I don't find smartness to be disabling, I would say it is able-ing.


_________________
Drain and plane and grain and blain your brain, and then again,
Propane and butane out of the gas main, your blain shall sustain!


Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,606
Location: United States

21 Feb 2016, 1:30 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I'm not sure that executive function wasn't taught. My two Aspergers kids didn't bother to learn study skills because they could waltz through school barely cracking a book. But in college, you can't do that as easily, and their performance suffered.

Study skills include organization, planning (for a project, say), staying on task, following a structure, meeting the requirements of a task. I would say there's a lot of executive function there being taught - if the student agrees to learn it.


No one taught me study skills. I went to crappy schools and I don't recall being taught by my parents. I never had to study until college. Unfortunately, once homework began to count towards the grade in late elementary school, I went from straight A's to D's and F's because I couldn't remember to and/or couldn't make myself do the homework.

I began to have trouble keeping track of all the assignments and different classes in middle school. I did well on all the tests, but that wasn't enough. Eventually I dropped out of high school, but it was for different reasons.

I had to teach myself study skills at college. I didn't do a very good job. I couldn't ever take more than 2 classes at a time, because I couldn't keep track of everything, became stressed, would develop terrible anxiety and eventually shut down and withdraw from the class.

Now I'm asking my therapist to help me teach myself study skills and other ways to adapt so that I can do more at once.



JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,296
Location: Kent, UK

21 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
JakeASD wrote:
I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


I am not proclaiming the rest of the world. I am saying (what is true) here for the sole purpose of proving the adaptive disability of being high IQ. And the previous response to my post was confirming it i.e..

In my life, i know that showing you are clever is disabling as showed above, it triggers misunderstanding and assumption that you are "arrogant". That is why i pretend to be stupid all the time, it works very good, people like it. It prevents "bitings" :)


My apologises for the misunderstanding, but again I believe there's a modicum of arrogance in your post. You have bracketed "what is true" in an attempt to once more validate that you are a man/woman of high intellect.


_________________
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen. " - Special Agent Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks


zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

21 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

JakeASD wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
JakeASD wrote:
I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


I am not proclaiming the rest of the world. I am saying (what is true) here for the sole purpose of proving the adaptive disability of being high IQ. And the previous response to my post was confirming it i.e..

In my life, i know that showing you are clever is disabling as showed above, it triggers misunderstanding and assumption that you are "arrogant". That is why i pretend to be stupid all the time, it works very good, people like it. It prevents "bitings" :)


My apologises for the misunderstanding, but again I believe there's a modicum of arrogance in your post. You have bracketed "what is true" in an attempt to once more validate that you are a man/woman of high intellect.
I'm not ganging up on LaetiBlabla here. But, it does echo, and in a much nicer way than my attempt, to illustrate that the way it's being communicated is demeaning.

It really seems as if anybody questions the assertions, it's brushed aside and then put forth it's because the other people are not smart enough to understand and then just ignored as if the word has been spoken and we cannot question the assertions.

And, quite frankly Jake, I see the difference in your post and mine, and I applaud your wording and communications. Much better than my attempt. I do not see you as someone lacking in intelligence. Maybe have a hard time getting out in many situations, but here, I have always enjoyed your posts and the give and take you can engage in. I think I'm a pretty bright guy. And then I see your words and thoughts and I see that my communications are not as good as yours. So, between the two of us, I am not as accomplished as you are.

My two cents.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 981
Location: Earth

21 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

Maybe high IQ is more disabling when coupled with AS.

I was not changed class despite my IQ "because maturity level and need to stay with children of her age for social skills development". So, indeed getting extremely bored for some subjects, disabled for others (dyslexia) misunderstood, resulting even in will to fail.

For what they called "maturity", it was undiagnosed AS.
(e.g. when i was 7-year-old, i was not communicating during the school breaks, i was putting myself to for legs and imitating barking in order to try to "enter in communication" with others...) ...fortunately, i improved my social skills a lot and can follow a "normal life" with an acceptable level of social skills, although, i still need to improve a lot.

I think high IQ is more disabling when coupled with AS because they do not change you class, and maybe it is a good choice, i don't know what is better.



zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

21 Feb 2016, 2:36 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Maybe high IQ is more disabling when coupled with AS.......I think high IQ is more disabling when coupled with AS because they do not change you class, and maybe it is a good choice, i don't know what is better.

That I can go along with. My brain screams at me all the time because I have trouble saying what needs to come out in a way that makes sense to other people. And it's worse when I have to be with people. I just babble and go off on tangents. At least here I have the filter of proofreading, taking my time and STILL get it messed up.

After 55 years, I have realized it is my inability to communicate properly. And, I do think that having truly deep thoughts or insights that you cannot express or share or even articulate because of AS makes it much worse. I know it does for me.

And, thank you for clarifying. It made all the difference. I understand and agree now. :)


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8


Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,899

21 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

I have poor executive functioning but cannot rely on lists and notes because when I take notes on anything I always think am writing all the information I need but I never do. Even knowing this doesn't make a difference.

I have a high IQ, or at least I did when I was younger. But I lack street smarts so I am stupid in a lot of ways and always feel like I am smart and stupid at the same time.
Around other people I always feel stupid, not smart.

What I am smart at depends on how interested I am and the things I am interested in tend to be scientific things and the more they interest me the more I like learning about and thinking about.



JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,296
Location: Kent, UK

21 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

zkydz wrote:
JakeASD wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
JakeASD wrote:
I would advise against proclaiming to the rest of the world that you have a high IQ. Figuratively, it's likely to come back and bite you on the arse.


I am not proclaiming the rest of the world. I am saying (what is true) here for the sole purpose of proving the adaptive disability of being high IQ. And the previous response to my post was confirming it i.e..

In my life, i know that showing you are clever is disabling as showed above, it triggers misunderstanding and assumption that you are "arrogant". That is why i pretend to be stupid all the time, it works very good, people like it. It prevents "bitings" :)


My apologises for the misunderstanding, but again I believe there's a modicum of arrogance in your post. You have bracketed "what is true" in an attempt to once more validate that you are a man/woman of high intellect.
I'm not ganging up on LaetiBlabla here. But, it does echo, and in a much nicer way than my attempt, to illustrate that the way it's being communicated is demeaning.

It really seems as if anybody questions the assertions, it's brushed aside and then put forth it's because the other people are not smart enough to understand and then just ignored as if the word has been spoken and we cannot question the assertions.

And, quite frankly Jake, I see the difference in your post and mine, and I applaud your wording and communications. Much better than my attempt. I do not see you as someone lacking in intelligence. Maybe have a hard time getting out in many situations, but here, I have always enjoyed your posts and the give and take you can engage in. I think I'm a pretty bright guy. And then I see your words and thoughts and I see that my communications are not as good as yours. So, between the two of us, I am not as accomplished as you are.

My two cents.


Whilst I love to receive compliments, zkydz, I must disagree with you on this occasion. I am terrible at expressing my ideas and views on subjects, both in spoken and written language. Unfortunately this has been a problem of mine for as long as I can remember.

From my perspective, you are doing yourself a gross disservice by what you stated in the post that I have quoted above. Personally, I would consider writing to be a strength of yours; it's very clear and engaging to read.


_________________
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen. " - Special Agent Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks


zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2015
Age: 58
Posts: 3,215
Location: USA

21 Feb 2016, 4:02 pm

That's just because I can take time to reply. I can fumble about on words, backspace, erase, proofread....all those things I can't do in a personal situation.

My thought process is visual. It does not lend itself well to many things. Especially if the wrong 'word picture' or 'number picture' pops into my head. Last month, I wrote the check for the rent by $20.00 shy. I had the wrong 'number picture' in my head. Proofread it several times. But because the writing matched the mental picture, I didn't catch it.

It's really bad when I'm searching for a word and the 'Rolodex of 'bad words'' starts up and one of them gets used instead. Talking about destroying credibility, but also makes people think the wrong things about you. And, if you ever try to explain how that works, they just think you're making really, really bad excuses.


_________________
Diagnosed April 14, 2016
ASD Level 1 without intellectual impairments.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8