Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:07 am

I don't think I really understand meltdown's and from what I can gather in the simplest term they can appear to look like a tantrum without a goal ( maybe this is the extreme side of meltdown? )

Is a meltdown intensity connected to the severity of autism / AS / HFA ( i.e the more severe your condition , the worse the meltdown can be )

Are meltdown's always external or can they be internal as well ( i.e. you can keep it all inside and suffer in silence. )

If they can be internal does it get easier to keep them in as you get older or is it like a boiling pot and eventually things will spill out the more you keep it it in or try to hide it.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:30 am

I have meltdowns where I just curl up in a ball and don't make any noise.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 8:44 am

EzraS wrote:

Thanks EzraS , do you have meltdowns which are not as intense i.e. you are able to do some things as long as they do not increase your sensory issues.

I have often found myself in situations where I feel I am about to implode dues to sensory issues ( always in a social situation ) and these situations tend to make me almost mute or monosyllabic and I have to escape.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 2:05 pm

EzraS wrote:

From my understanding what you describe would be classified as a shutdown - a meltdown but internal. Being nonverbal and not being able to cope/interact with surroundings are typical of shutdowns.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 2:54 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by smudge on 06 May 2017, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:10 pm

Wow ^.

So meltdowns are like a seizure. You cant help it. But your relatives think that you were purposely throwing a tantrum. And apparently you must have been at someone's house- had a meltdown-and destroyed their stuff. Broke china, or smashed a TV set or something.

Since they thought you did it on purpose they wrote you an angry letter about how the person who owned the house and the stuff "didnt deserve" to have their stuff destroyed.

But now you're dragging in another issue-that about them rummaging through your stuff?

A lot to unpack here.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
So meltdowns are like a seizure.

Were you being sarcastic? Cuz I have had seizures, off-and-on, my entire life, and I ASSURE you that there's NO WAY I could pick-up even ONE knick-knack (let-alone, several), and throw it, when I'm having a seizure.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:55 pm

smudge wrote:
Deleted.

That was a lot to process , were you just getting things off your chest or were you asking for help Smudge.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:00 pm

teksla wrote:
EzraS wrote:

From my understanding what you describe would be classified as a shutdown - a meltdown but internal. Being nonverbal and not being able to cope/interact with surroundings are typical of shutdowns.

Well that changes things a little, can you have partial shutdowns, or shutdowns that last a short time or just while your in a situation that triggers it?

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:04 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Well that changes things a little, can you have partial shutdowns, or shutdowns that last a short time or just while your in a situation that triggers it?

I dont see why not.
For me though - its either a full on meltdown on full on shutdown, very rarely is it a partial or a short melt/shut- down.

Shutdowns and meltdowns can happen AFTER the "triggering" stimuli has been removed or you have removed yourself from the situation. You can for example be exposed to very loud sounds and crowded places and than have a shutdown on the way home/at home.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:13 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:
Deleted.

That was a lot to process , were you just getting things off your chest or were you asking for help Smudge.

I don't really know. I'm not currently able to think straight. :cry:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:24 pm

smudge wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:
Deleted.

Take a deep breathe , count to ten , make yourself a warm drink like hot chocolate or whatever takes your fancy , then when your composed and ready to chat if you need we ( the community ) are here :)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:27 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:
Deleted.

Take a deep breathe , count to ten , make yourself a warm drink like hot chocolate or whatever takes your fancy , then when your composed and ready to chat if you need we ( the community ) are here :)

Thank you very much. :)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:27 pm

teksla wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I dont see why not.
For me though - its either a full on meltdown on full on shutdown, very rarely is it a partial or a short melt/shut- down.

Shutdowns and meltdowns can happen AFTER the "triggering" stimuli has been removed or you have removed yourself from the situation. You can for example be exposed to very loud sounds and crowded places and than have a shutdown on the way home/at home.

Blimey , the more I find out the more I have no idea what I'm experiencing

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:35 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I don't think I really understand meltdown's and from what I can gather in the simplest term they can appear to look like a tantrum without a goal ( maybe this is the extreme side of meltdown? )

Is a meltdown intensity connected to the severity of autism / AS / HFA ( i.e the more severe your condition , the worse the meltdown can be )

Are meltdown's always external or can they be internal as well ( i.e. you can keep it all inside and suffer in silence. )

If they can be internal does it get easier to keep them in as you get older or is it like a boiling pot and eventually things will spill out the more you keep it it in or try to hide it.

I don't think I would define meltdowns as "a tantrum without a goal", because the "goal", in BOTH, IMO, is the RELEASE----I'm thinking the defining factor, is CHOICE (meaning, it seems like when people have a tantrum, they may, very well, be able to control it, but they choose NOT to).

I'm thinking that it's POSSIBLE that meltdown intensity MIGHT be connected to the severity of Autism----but, it might ALSO (or, instead of) be the severity of Autism "dictates" the person's capability to deal with them (ie, maybe someone that's higher functioning, might learn more quickly how to deal with / quell them - but, I'm not about to say that's a guarantee, cuz everybody's different).

Well, I'm thinking that the severity of the meltdown is what determines if one can keep it inside----but, I DO feel it can be done (at least, in MY case).

Have they gotten easier, as I've gotten older? Yes and no. They have gotten easier in that I have learned more work-arounds, to avoid them / lessen their frequency----but, they have NOT gotten easier in the sense that fewer ones can, sometimes, set-me-off, now. When I was younger (say, mid-30s), if I had had an entire DAY of just one sensory "invasion" after another, for instance, I could hold-them-in, for the most part, until I got in the car, at least----or, actually, because I also have Tourette's, I could only afford to let-go of my tics, while driving (otherwise, it would just be too dangerous, to let everything go); so, most-times I would hold it in (a meltdown), until I got home, and THEN I might start slammin' things, around, or whatever.

NOW, unfortunately, I can't seem to handle more than, like, a couple hours of "stuff", at-a-time, before I'm at that "boiling pot" stage; and then, I'll need to go to the bathroom and "exhale".

Everybody's different, though.....

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 4:45 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Everybody's different, though.....

Thanks for your experiences CC , I can see similarities. When I get reminded that everyone's different it makes me think that asking questions here are futile unless you get 30 separate answers :lol: