Sometimes 39%  39%  [ 23 ]
Yes 49%  49%  [ 29 ]
Don't Know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59

schots
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2016, 7:54 pm

@LyraLuthTinu That's a very sad song (:internet hug). I feel like I can be annoying at times as well.

@OliveOilMom yeah I do try and help round the house, if they ask me to do something then I will do it. However I'm not very good with displaying my emotions face to face (in writing I'm much better as you can see - although I've lost count the amount of times I've edited this post!) , so I don't know if they get that I am grateful for the roof over my head and all they do for me.

And :internet hug to anyone I made feel sad with this topic.

(p.s. don't know if the :internet hug is appropriate, if not then i rescind it. lol)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

To my parents - Yes

To society - No

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm

I often do. I know it's not a rational feeling, but I've been told my whole life that I'm not nearly as important or worthwhile as anyone else, and that kind of thing tends to sink in with repetition.

Logically, an autistic person is not a "burden". Prejudice against autistics is a burden. Being shut out of society is a burden. Being refused services is a burden. But we, ourselves, we're human beings and worth as much as any other human being.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2016, 3:29 pm

Considering my sibling called me a burden to my face. Literally she said I was.

I do feel like a burden because it had been confirmed.

superbluevegetable
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2016, 3:38 pm

Sometimes I do. I think that's just part of life, though.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:41 pm

:cry:

TheBadguy wrote:
Considering my sibling called me a burden to my face. Literally she said I was.

I do feel like a burden because it had been confirmed.

Lots of times siblings say mean things just to say mean things. I wouldn't take that seriously.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

schots wrote:
@LyraLuthTinu That's a very sad song (:internet hug). I feel like I can be annoying at times as well.

And :internet hug to anyone I made feel sad with this topic.

(p.s. don't know if the :internet hug is appropriate, if not then i rescind it. lol)

Thank you for the virtual webhug. I do those a lot and I like them. I can't speak for the rest of WP but I think it's fine.

:-)

Today I feel competent and I feel confident and I feel loved. Even though first thing this morning I felt like I wanted my space and wished to be left alone--I was biting my tongue against saying "go away"--today was a good day. I got along with people pretty well and I got my tasks done correctly. I hope everyone who has replied "yes" or "sometimes" to this poll have good days like mine today was.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 8:32 pm

I feel like a burden sometimes because I'm not good at fixing things, and cleaning the house.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 8:37 pm

Looking wrote:
Like LyraLuthTinu above i often feel that I am my wifes big mistake.

Hi Looking. You are the same age as my NTHubby. Interesting coincidence. I hate feeling like he'd be better off without me. He's said the same thing other way 'round--I make him feel like I think he was my big mistake. He only says that when he's angry, though, and I know that--unlike me--NT's say things they don't really mean to get a reaction when they're angry.

Me--I do that on very rare occasions, but I'm far more likely to say things that I really do mean but wouldn't ordinarily say when I'm mad. Painful hurtful truths that I guard against saying when I'm not upset, but sometimes I say them when I'm beyond myself with angry.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

I'm deliberately try not to be one and I still feel like one...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 4:32 pm

Callista wrote:
I often do. I know it's not a rational feeling, but I've been told my whole life that I'm not nearly as important or worthwhile as anyone else, and that kind of thing tends to sink in with repetition.

Logically, an autistic person is not a "burden". Prejudice against autistics is a burden. Being shut out of society is a burden. Being refused services is a burden. But we, ourselves, we're human beings and worth as much as any other human being.

**emphasis mine**

***standing ovation for this line***

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 5:23 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I told my daughter it would not be feasible to live with us so we have spent a lot of effort getting her subsidized housing. So far, so good. She needs her space; so do we.

She had a messy financial/legal situation and it would never have gotten that bad if she had taken my earlier advice. I need what limited brain capacity I have to figure out my own affairs of living. I told her I simply could not help her further with that matter. We did connect her up with a social worker who has made still other connections for her.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's up to your family to be "adult" about it and set limits as to how much burden they can comfortably stand. My daughter does create a minor burden but overall I am very happy to have her as my daughter.

Ezra, at your age, you are still expected to be housed and fed by your parents, and would be even if you had zero disability. So stop worrying about the burden until later on. (kidding)

Everyone should stop to consider that there can be contributions that offset a burden. If you aren't making them, perhaps you should start so that you will feel less of a burden. A few chores, or babysitting other children in the household, or assistance with a project such as a home repair, or taking care of the pets, or filing all the paid bills, these are things that might make it plain enjoyable for someone to have you around. Also showing concern for their aches, pains, and worries can make you valuable. And although it may not have occurred to you, simply being home to let the appliance repair guy in can be quite valuable to a parent who works a full-time job.

This makes a lot of sense.
People who aren't independent as adults and live with parents or other family members can do many things to help in a practical way.
Doing things to help the family will also develop own skills at own pace, making it more likely that one can be independent later.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2016, 5:33 pm

My parents have practically for all intents and purposes called me a burden in the past, but meh, I've gotten over it.

Then again, I spend most of my time sat around at home being too scared to do anything worth while, so maybe they have a point. Sometimes I feel that if I got proper support earlier on, I wouldn't have such huge anxiety barriers. But the past can't be changed, so no point dwelling.

I guess I'm still trying to find my purpose... the one thing I can contribute to shake this feeling of burdenship. I've been trying to find something I can do from the comfort of my own room like music etc, but I guess I'm not good enough at that, else I'd probably be more successful (granted I can't market myself to save my own life, and I have no financial ambition so my motivation to simply provide entertainment has its limits).

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 8:45 pm

Riik wrote:
... Sometimes I feel that if I got proper support earlier on, I wouldn't have such huge anxiety barriers. But the past can't be changed, so no point dwelling.

... .

I so feel this. And also if what little support I do get wasn't randomly withdrawn. Sometimes I wonder if/why people like twisting me 'round and watching me flail. :cry:

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 10:11 pm

My mental and physical health combined make living on my own independently impossible atm and for the foreseeable future. I do absolutely feel like a burden, even with disability and paying rent, helping out when I can. For almost 10 years my parents treated me like s**t and made sure that I felt like a burden, it is really only in the past year and a half that they have adjusted their expectations of me. The diagnosis of Asperger's has helped them somewhat understand my limitations are not just the result of an attitude problem.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 12:34 am

I do. I try my best to keep a job and go to school without any issues and pitch in around the house to help my mom, but I still feel like a huge burden on her and my whole family. I want to move out someday, but I don't think I can survive on my own, unfortunately. :(