Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2016, 7:44 pm

I've always had a little bit of vocal speech issues, for the longest time when I was a kid I had a lisp, thank god I got rid of that. I think that had a lot to do with my social anxiety actually. But more on the point I notice my tone of voice is a little odd. It's sort of higher pitch and a little nasally I guess, people actually mistake me for a girl on the phone sometimes. I also talk really quietly sometimes, usually when I'm in public, and other times I talk too loudly and don't even notice until someone points it out to me.

Anyone else here have speech quirks?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 7:53 pm

My voice is kind of high pitched, quiet and monotone. I feel pretty uncomfortable when I hear myself talk.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

I sometimes cringe a little when I hear myself recorded, because my voice sounds different to me when I talk than it actually sounds. I think I've been getting more used to it though.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 8:28 pm

I have a lisp. It could not be corrected. I make the right movements, but I still have the lisp. And I also have a very young-sounding, nasal speaking voice...I hate it.

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2016, 8:33 pm

My voice is slightly higher pitched and monotone. I cringe when I hear my own voice on recordings o.O

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

I could have easily kept the lisp, I just decided when I was a teenager that I had enough of it and forced myself to stop lisping until it was gone.

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

I loathe to hear a recording of my own voice,at times it sounds robotic,at times effeminate,i've asked my mother and she says it sounds academic,and for some reason my friends say I sound kind of British?!I'm not sure what to think,I suppose my voice is like an effeminate,academic,British,robot?!Whatever the case it sounds foreign to me...

dachsowned
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2016, 9:06 pm

People always comment on how I talk, but I always assumed it's because of all the places I've lived - from midwest to Long Island to New England, my accent would be odd. My cadence is a little weird, too - long pauses so whoever I'm talking to jumps right on in, leaving me with my profoundly interesting story (Not!!) dangling.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 9:57 pm

I've been working very hard at treating my symptoms lately. When my symptoms are bad my voice is weird, immature, accented and kind of monotone. When my symptoms are reduced I actually like my voice. It has a nice melody to it, a pleasant tone, I have no accent and I actually sound my age.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm

I think a lot of people do not like the way their voice sounds. I mean if you took a worldwide poll, probably well over 50% would say they hate the way their voice sounds. Including me, even though I am basically nonverbal. But I have had a lot of speech therapy and I know there are ways to give yourself a stronger voice, like learning to automatically speak from your diaphragm etc. I'm sure those actors who have rich voices, had a lot of voice coaching.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2016, 11:04 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I've been working very hard at treating my symptoms lately. When my symptoms are bad my voice is weird, immature, accented and kind of monotone. When my symptoms are reduced I actually like my voice. It has a nice melody to it, a pleasant tone, I have no accent and I actually sound my age.

I'm curious, what have you been doing to do that?

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 11:24 pm

AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Biomedical stuff. It's pretty controversial, but it's been working for me.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2016, 11:32 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Cool, I like odd alt health things.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 12:03 am

AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I pretty much take ambrotose(aloe vera) and a bunch of probiotics.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
AsahiPto17 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I pretty much take ambrotose(aloe vera) and a bunch of probiotics.

Okay, that's cool. My mom got my into gluten free vegetarian/vegan when I was a teenager. Not because of Asperger's, we actually didn't even know about it at the time, it was because of my mom and sister's gluten allergies and wanting not to eat meat. Apparently gluten and dairy free diets are supposed to be good to autistics though.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

AsahiPto17 wrote:
Anyone else here have speech quirks?

My pronunciation is very much SERP (Scottish English Received Pronunciation).

People say I sound like the Scottish version of David Attenborough... :(

Don't see a problem with that?

I'm 27 years old, David Attenborough is 89 years old (90 in May)... :(

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)