What was Your Biggest Special Interest?

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kamoku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2017, 10:52 am

When I was three years old, it was Dumbo. I have seen the movie, read the book, had 4 Dumbo toys, had a Dumbo bag, a Dumbo flashlight and a Dumbo birthday cake for my third birthday.

But now, it's mostly video games and parakeets.

AQ: 44

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

It's probably a tie between 101 Dalmatians when I was little and Doctor Who now.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

Star Wars

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2017, 12:24 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Astronomy. It began when I was about 4 or 5, when I first saw the stars and it is still today. It's been going strong now for around 44 years :)

Oh me too, since 1969. I was out last night and will be out again tonight. I currently using a 10-inch Newtonian reflector.

Tai Chi was massive for about 10 years. I practiced for 3-4 hours most days for much of that time

Currently, well for the last 10 years it is autism has been my life, work, and obsession. I am half way through an MA in Autism Spectrum. I love writing essays, it is an utter joy, total escapism.

BBC: Radio 4

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2017, 1:03 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Definitely reading for me. It was there since birth, and I refused to do anything else, so some of my milestones were late. :D

Me too. When I was younger, I used to be able to go into the children's and young adult's sections of the library and point to almost every single book and say "I've read that and that and that and that..." I would literally go every weekend and check out as many books as they would let me take home and the thicker the books, the better.

I slowly got away from it as an adult because I don't have as much time. Planning to take advantage of the 3 day weekend to immerse myself in some good books though :D

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 1:33 pm

Metaphysics / alternative religions... it held my interest for years, from around ages 15-17. Never really came to think of that stretch of years as an obsession per se until a long time later I found my old hoard of barely legible notebooks, filled to the brim with the stuff of madness. On my old computer and several memory sticks are yet more of the same. I killed any chance of ever being religious or having a faith with this obsession too, but I never regret any of my past interests except, unfortunately, the ones that involve people.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 1:34 pm

doesn’t really work as one topic, it’s more like a compounding web... almost anything to do with asia is of potential interest if it branches/relates to another. it’s perceived as one interest.

big pet peeve is culturally confused american films that blend cultures of asia, and refer to it as one nation's.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 9:49 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Definitely reading for me. It was there since birth, and I refused to do anything else, so some of my milestones were late. :D

Me too. When I was younger, I used to be able to go into the children's and young adult's sections of the library and point to almost every single book and say "I've read that and that and that and that..." I would literally go every weekend and check out as many books as they would let me take home and the thicker the books, the better.

Same here :) I was in tight with the librarian at school, which was good as I checked out massive amounts of books at a time and she was fine with me checking out as many as I wanted and returning them whenever I wanted :D :D :D I still read YA books, btw, even though I am now 32! They can be quite relaxing!!

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:53 am

Well, I wrote software for fifty years. Metaphysics was fun until my belief in god blew out like a candle, and then there was autism. How could I have got through half a century without learning about autism?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

When I was younger, arthropods. As a kid, I'd read insect field guides for fun.

More recently? Cenobites from Hellraiser :oops: That's the strongest and most long-lasting one of my current obsessions.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

sex, i want to have sex with beautiful girl.

women are beautiful majestic creatures

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 5:52 pm

I've had a special interest in Pokémon for 18 years this Christmas. My interest in Waluigi and Waluigi-like characters is just one year younger. I've also had a special interest in Marc Bolan since 2005.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2017, 8:07 am

Well, I consider my three biggest special interests to be I Love Lucy, Cedar Point and their roller coasters, and science in general. These are the special interests that I feel define me and that I feel are integral to my personality and to somebody knowing/understanding who I am. If I had to pick just one of them, though, I'd probably pick science, because that has been with me practically all my life and is what my career is based off of. It is also the most diverse of the three, with the most possible topics and subjects. You can always learn more.

Piers

22 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

Piers wrote:
I have three areas of special interest with equal levels of enthusiasm.

1. Video encoding, specifically telecine patterns.
2. Collection and organisation of video media, I currently have 26,399 television episodes spread over 30TB on my home network. I've watched very few of them.
3. Politics.

I now have 40,252 television episodes spread over 0.24PB of networked storage on 2x4U, 24-bay Supermicro servers (SAS).

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2017, 2:23 am

Rap music for years and years

NBA and WWE nowadays