Autistic who likes to blast loud music?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2016, 12:03 pm

There's this guy a know who has a younger brother who apparently is "autistic" and non verbal but loves to blast music and dance. Doesn't this mean that the label is being misused? Doesn't this mean that not all of them have sensory issues?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:06 pm

No, not all autistics have sensory issues. Or they do, but it doesn't affect their tolerance for loud music.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2016, 12:08 pm

I tend to listen to my music a bit louder than it should be but I'm not nonverbal.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm

I am acutely aware of the tiniest disturbing sound sometimes, but it didn't stop me from playing bass and drums in punk bands when I was younger, or going to gigs occasionally now. It all depends on my mood, the kind of sound, and whether the sound is one that I have control over or not.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm

It could be a sensory issue. You can either be sensitive to them or the opposite. Like maybe he needs it loud for it to be good. Sometimes I need things to be really quiet or for specific noises to be really loud.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

28 Feb 2016, 1:24 pm

I blast music to BLOCK out things that I am sensitive to. (Obviously I wear earphones instead because I don't want to subject anyone else to the noise). But there are some autistic people who like hearing certain songs over and over, and will blare it out loud.. Io it's kind of a way of stimming.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:
I blast music to BLOCK out things that I am sensitive to. (Obviously I wear earphones instead because I don't want to subject anyone else to the noise). But there are some autistic people who like hearing certain songs over and over, and will blare it out loud.. Io it's kind of a way of stimming.

That's usually what I use it for. Because of the way my schedule goes on the days I have classes, I'm fortunate enough to be able to dedicate 30 minutes before my math class to just relax in the hall and stim by listening to the Lion King soundtrack.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 1:27 pm

TheAP wrote:
No, not all autistics have sensory issues. Or they do, but it doesn't affect their tolerance for loud music.

I am sensitive to loud noises. However, loud noises that come from trains never seem to bother me due to my love for trains. Could it be that he likes the music enough that the loudness doesn't bother him?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:47 pm

I don't like loud things, period.

I like trains, but don't enjoy them loud.

I'm especially sensitive to high-pitched sounds.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 2:50 pm

I can tolerate fairly loud music for short periods of time. But only when I feel like it, and only music that I feel like hearing. Otherwise it upsets me very much and causes me to panic. If I have control over the sound, I'm able to tolerate it more, because I know that I can stop it when I need to.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2016, 2:53 pm

Reasons like that are why I love the voice chat program me and my friends use having a mute button. If I feel myself becoming overwhelmed by all the action going on in the game we're playing I can mute myself, put on a song or two to relax, then unmute and get right back to enjoying time with my friends.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:

^^^^
This

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2016, 8:31 pm

I'm an autistic who loves music and the fact that my primary special interest is a band and that I go to their shows made me think I couldn't possibly be autistic despite showing so many other traits. However there are sounds that do bother me, but it's more like the type of sound. For example my dad's chewing is deafeningly loud to me (even though nobody else can hear it, somehow) and I have to blast my music to block it out cos the sound is painful. Also if I'm in a room with a lot of talking/yelling people I'll also play music because it's pleasant to me cos I hate the sound of crowds if I'm not prepared for it.

However sometimes I do get tired and have to either unplug my headphones and play it quietly on my laptop speakers or just turn it off altogether. But at least in my case I think it's very possible to enjoy loud music as an autistic person. Then again I'm new at this and self dx'd so take that with a grain of salt. (if I'm using the phrase correctly, hah)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 8:40 pm

If I'm playing music loudly, it's usually top drown out all the sounds that I cannot stand, including other music. Although I nearly always wear earbuds so it's not usually a problem for other people.

lissa1212
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

I'm like that. When I find a song I really like, I get this weird compulsion to listen to it a high volume (just with headphones in so I don't bug people). The more I like a song, the stronger my desire to turn up the volume is. I think it's because the song becomes a mini special interest, so I feel the need to immerse myself in it (which involves both turning the volume up and listening to it over and over haha).

At the end of the day, all autistic people are different. What's uncomfortable to one aspie may well be enjoyable to another. Our senses do tend to affect us strongly, but the way in which they affect us will differ from person to person.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:24 pm

Even with music that I really really like, I don't like to blast it too loud. I sometimes turn the volume down a notch from the highest point with my headphones. My headphones keep a comfortable distance from my ear canals, so I get the most natural sound. And they don't have noise cancelling, and don't have a very loud output in general. But it makes it safer, because I can still hear cars on the road when I'm walking.

I had more of a tolerance for loud trance, techno music when I was a teen. But if I don't like the music, it literally can be painful if loud. Country music is always painful. :P

I wonder if our preference of the music effects how well our brains can tolerate the noise.

People whistling, train horns/whistles, bus warning beepers, emergency vehicles, certain people's voices can really hurt my ears or drive me up the wall! 8O Some might say these are symptoms of "misophonia". Whistling is not particulary loud, nor are the singing mice from the movie "Cinderella", but for some reason, they tend to bother me sooo much. :?

Also, I hate it when people slam pallets at my work. Like a bunch of balloons popping in the ears all day. But some days, I'm not as sensitive to it as others. So it seems to go up and down.

Noise sensitivity has never been bad enough with me to be "debilitating" per se. Mostly annoying and stressful, if anything.